Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Oh damn, I've been screwing up. I always put 3 day handling to give myself the most wiggle room just in case, but the reality is that I have 1 day handling on like 98% of my transactions.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I will add....weekend and holidays don't count for the 1 day handling time. Plus until recently I thought you had a true 24 hours from payment time to print the label. Found out last week that you actually get until 23:59:59 PST the following day to post your tracking number (done automatically with ebay shipping tool)

But you need to keep an eye on the 90% tracking that ebay calculates, I have found errors in the system each month so far. I just called in and they fixed it. I think they are still working out the bugs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  3. grendel

grendel Senior member

What does it mean by 1 day, though? Like, if the items end Sunday night and they pay Sunday night, can I print the label Monday night and it's within 1 day? I didn't offer that because I didn't want to have to be up late every Sunday packaging stuff to go out Monday morning.

Also, Wes, how do you track your views?

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks, Spoo. Very helpful. I agree; I wish I could get less "house." My old setup was much better: I had a gauze curtain that covered most of the background to make it more professional . Since all attempts at a light box have failed fairly spectacularly, I've been trying hard to find a spot in my house that gets good natural light (artificial light absolutely stinks on my camera) for a long enough period but doesn't look awful as a background. The house was an unfortunate compromise. And the wood is actually two pieces of decent lumber I had from my woodworking days set up at right angles on a table.

Appreciate the confirmation that the background is an issue. I will keep working on that. Anything in terms of the actual template? Should I have a background color? Vary my text/pic layout/font? Be less over the top in terms of description?

And lol re: the fingernails. I try do try to keep me out of the pics. But on some suits, I find it unavoidable (without spending 3 hours for just one pic). I've been told I keep mine distractingly long. I think it has to do with typing on my blackberry. I actually thought they were pretty trimmed here. :embar:

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

See my post above for the first question. You have until midnight the following day. I spend most of monday night packaging my sunday sales. So if they pay at 8PM (PST) Sunday, you have until Monday night at Midnight (PST) to add the tracking number. Likewise...if they pay Monday morning at 1 AM (PST) you have until Tuesday night at Midnight PST to add the tracking - nearly 48 hours.

You also only have to 90% of the US packages uploaded by by the 1 day deadline to qualify.

The traffic report is a store function, it allows me to see what percentage of my viewers are coming from SF pr Putthison or wherever. Also tracks total views, popular keyword searches that ended up at my pages, comparisons with last week/month/year. Pretty neat tool, but really only for analysis. As far as I know it is not available without a store subscription.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

For all of you guys having problems with lighting, I would recommend something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Vivitar-285...=48515&_osacat=0&_dmpt=Digital_Camera_Flashes

I've got a couple of those. For my pics I use one, on a stand, pointed up at the wall / ceiling away from the camera / item

I agree that getting good white balance and color with artificial lighting is impossible, but with a flash it's foolproof. Just don't point the flash AT the thing you're lighting.

EDIT: Thanks Wes! I'll have to move to the 1-day handling to see if I can get more traffic. I might have to open a store too for some of those features (plus the "vacation" feature where you can specify you'll be out of town)

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Check here to see if it is worth it for you. Keep in mind you can also get discounts for top rated with 14 day return and 1 day handling.
    http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/FeeIllustrator.html

8. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

For years I assisted a product photographer, so all day long I'd be prepping/staging small items in the shooting environment, and then assisting in lighting them (also included people/clothes/huge things, but mostly small stuff).

A little tip for everyone when shooting small tabletop items like shoes:

We had a drawer full of stuff to aid in propping items up to achieve the correct angles that we wanted when products just wouldn't sit right for us. Most of them totally inexpensive and super useful. Topping the list were toilet wedges aka wobble wedges... Those little plastic wedges with grooves on them for traction. Cheap, available at most hardware stores in clear or black, and stack-able to help raise the height of one corner or another. These were used in conjunction with poster tack, that gummy stuff you'd use to stick posters to the wall. A little ball on the bottom of the wedge meant it wasn't going anywhere when weight was applied. We'd also use it to ensure the product didn't slide off the wedge, but make sure it won't leave a mark on the surface. Also hugely useful- those little alphabet blocks for kids. They're small, wooden, sturdy, and cheap. You can also spray them white or black to help hide them. All in all you can store all these little pieces in a big ziploc bag and have them around whenever that item just wont sit right.

The skill is in utilizing this stuff without it being seen.

When you guys talk about artificial lighting, do you mean fluorescent, or all lighting that is added that isn't available/ambient?

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Just as a caution to all the sellers going crazy about lighting and set-up: as someone who is mainly a buyer, the only thing I look for in photos is evidence that the seller is not lying in their text description and some really basic things like, for example, the condition of the sole of the shoe, or the width and style of lapels of a jacket. I pay far more attention to the details and facts in the text of the advert, the description of the condition, the measurements and so on. Almost everything I have bought has looked far better in real life (and very rarely the other way around) and I generally distrust adverts that seem to put an excessive effort into display and lighting.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

On the other hand you may not click on listings that don't look appealing, and you'd likely be disappointed if you thought you were buying one color shirt and it turned out to be a different color altogether. Good pictures make a big difference for seller's sale prices, from my experience.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I constantly get positive feedback from buyers about my photos. I hate seeing listings with only one fuzzy shot of a pair of shoes, especially when you get 12 shots for free now. However I am not afraid to ask to see more photos, usually the seller is cooperative....if not, I won't buy.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I prefer a monochromatic text, personally.

[​IMG]

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

What do you folks think of these two listings?
    I would never in a million years bid on them - zero description, misspelled brand name, prices are way too low to be real, and seller is a noob with zero feedback. But the seller happens to be in the same small town as me, and I found their full name etc online...so if something went awry I'd have no problem calling the local cops who don't have much to do all day long.
    Or should I not even bother since they are in all likelihood fake?

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Faker than a tit in a strip club.

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

You've never been to strips clubs in downtown Portland Oregon, have you? [​IMG]
    Yeah, sorta pointless bidding. I have seen a few isolated cases where people are just getting rid of their ex's stuff for cheap (like, once or twice), and it's real goods, but these can't be.
    Thx.