Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Congrats!

2. RockyTop

RockyTop Well-Known Member

Sold a Pendleton shirt that was in very good condition and listed as 'pre-owned' and tagged as L. Just got a message from the buyer saying it seems to be a little smaller than the other L Pendleton's they own, asked if it had been washed and that they have no use for it but since I don't accept returns they are awaiting my response.

Not sure what some people are expecting. A pre-owned item is not going to be new.

Anyway, I just replied that it was listed as pre-owned and had been washed. Said I was sorry they weren't satisfied but that I only accept returns if there was a mistake in my listing or item wasn't as described.

3. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

RockyTop - providing detailed measurements, rather than simply the labelled size, would prevent any surprise about the shirt's dimensions. Of course this is a learning for future transactions. If the buyer is going to provide negative feedback, then it's probably better to avoid that by offering some sort of accommodation, up to a full refund.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Anyone else having issues with package tracking? Two packages I sent Tuesday to the correct addressees (printed right off ebay) are listing delivery back at my house. Could be returned to sender but I don't see them. Skrange.

5. RockyTop

RockyTop Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll definitely provide full measurements in the future. And if they push the issue I will provide some kind of accommodation.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I just checked. Mine all seem to be on track.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks. My guy must have scanned them in wrong. Will be on the lookout for a "return to sender" anyway.

8. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Wondering if any of you suit sellers would care to opine on the... suitability (pun unavoidable) of these two dress forms for photographing stuff. I need to buy soon. Closets are full, need to get listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300765337339

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271237278515

First one has a 38" chest and longer (taller; 29") torso.
    Second one has 40" chest and only 22" tall torso.

Given the sizes I tend to pick up, I probably want the 40" but I'm wondering if you guys find extra torso length useful for staging suits with pants, or if you just photograph them separately.

Of course if you think there's a better dress form out there in approximately the same price range as the ones above, let me know that too.

9. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Senior member

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to the thread. Let me start off by saying that I have learned a lot in my short time being here and I am thankful for that. Everyone seems really cool here and I have felt welcomed in my short time here. am not new to thrifting, but I have only been selling really heavy since the beginning of 2013. I have some questions and I would appreciate it if some of you out there could help. I am getting to a point where I am starting to sell a decent amount (to me) on eBay and I have a ton of great inventory yet to be sold. I am contemplating opening an eBay store. If I do that though, do I HAVE to make it official and register as a business? Do you guys recommend this? I know the big guys like Spoo and Wes are probably registered as businesses but are some of you guys who do 10-15 auctions a week like me registering as a business? It seems like it may be worth it. I figure if I'm going to be claiming this stuff as income and paying taxes on it, it may make sense to open an actual business.

I'm also nervous because I haven't really been keeping the best track of my receipts etc for 2013 but I really plan on bringing my eBay hobby to the next level so I will be meticulous from here on.

I have searched but I couldn't find a specific thread referencing this issue. Any help and or tips will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to becoming an active member of this thread as time goes on.

Btw, I realize that any advice that is given to me is just advice and it is ultimately my decision how to handle things going forward. Thanks everyone!!!'

Rob

10. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but it's helpful:
    http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feeillustrator

11. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I have the 40" version of the first one. I don't see many 36-38 jackets so hasn't been a problem yet. You may also want to keep in mind Amazon which has this one in the same price range with free shipping.

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

My USPS letter-carrier scanned all mine backwards once as being "delivered' instead of picked up...and on tracking they said "delivered" to my city as opposed to en route to their destinations...which of course resulted in much merriment explaining what happened to the 8 or 10 buyers I shipped stuff to that day. Might be what happened in your case.

I've got a 38" pretty much the same as the first one, purchased from Stamps Store Fixtures locally (they do ship - you can get a quote on their site). I've been happy with the 38" for sport coats up to about a 44 or 46 - bigger than that and they hang all wonky even with pinning...well, I don't pin - I use a bunch of miniature chip-clip type thingers.

For suits, I hang the pants on a separate clothing valet I picked up at Goodwill for a few bucks - I taped a cardboard tube from a dry cleaner hangar onto the top which holds the pants in place since it has that semi-sticky stuff on it. Probably looks jerry-rigged but does the trick for me, for the main eBay photo:

[​IMG]

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I seriously thought you were joking, than I went to your eBay page...

[​IMG]

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

he was upset at the customs charges in Thailand.

happened to like 10 of my packages last week. USPS glitch.

15. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

I know this wasnt your question but its worth getting a good quality one. I bought one for 60$ on ebay and it doesn't stand straight anymore after a few weeks. The one I got had a metal pole from top to bottom. Maybe the wooden base is sturdier. Don't waist your money on a bad one.