1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Ultimately it's up to the seller whether he feels it's worth a negative feedback or not. I don't deal that way (we got it all cleared up in a fair way for both parts BTW), but I know a lot of buyers on Ebay are very unforgiving on sales, especially if they have to pay more than first planned. Sometimes sellers have to bend over backwards if they want to maintain a perfect record.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

In the print window, be sure you have Headers and Footers turned off.

3. Zacharrrr

Zacharrrr Well-Known Member

Hi, I was wondering if these 2 are authentic Burberry.

picture 1 and 2 are the same trench, sorry I dont have a better picture.

[​IMG]

pic 2

[​IMG]

Pic 3: coat

[​IMG]

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not really the correct thread for this, but the first one is all wrong. Second one looks right from the pic, but it's not much to go on.

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

novacheck on that first one looks way off to me, second one appears real but old from what I can see

6. Zacharrrr

Zacharrrr Well-Known Member

thanks a lot for the help

for the future, i used the search function - but what would be the correct thread ?

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

It sounds strange, but I believe the first two are real. The tags, at least, if not the coat. I believe they say Brühl & Söhne and House of Gentlemen. This is a high-end store in Graz and Vienna, Austria. These would have likely come from the Vienna shop. Without better photos, I can't say the tags weren't just sewn into fake coats, but those are pretty obscure tags to lift.

8. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

How long do you typically give a buyer to pay ( prior to re-listing)?

9. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

4 days, then the case gives them 3...I feel like if they haven't paid, or at least communicated by then, they ain't ever going to.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Should have said that. The tags appear correct but the coat looks to be fake from the incorrect lining.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Since I only list on Thursday for 10 day listings, that basically allows the buyer 11 days to pay.

1st Sunday - item sells, ebay sends email on my behalf.
    1st Tuesday - ebay sends a reminder on my behalf.
    1st Thursday - I send an invoice to remind them.
    2nd Sunday - I open an unpaid case, sending them an email explaining nicely that they still have 4 days to make payment.
    2nd Thursday - Close the case and relist the items at the usual time.

12. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

quick question, hope you guys can help.

just began thrifting and unfortunately this coat does not fit or else i'd keep it as my own. anyhow, it just got back from the dry cleaner and honestly looks NWOT. is there really any way to tell if it is or isn't NWOT and what is the harm in listing it as such on the bay?

here are some pics for you to judge...also are these decent enough quality for ebay purposes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The pictures aren't good enough to tell if it really is NWOT.

Send it to me and I'll let you know... [​IMG]

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sounds like a good way to do things... I tend to just open a case once Ebay tells me I can. Then I close the case once Ebay tells me I can.

I'm kind of torn between switching to all auctions and having items selling throughout the week with BIN listings. For "hot items", I'm going with auctions to build interest. If those go really well, I might switch everything else a bit at a time.

15. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I tried the BIN for a while, but it sure is nice to put everything at auction, go into my "storage" room and there only be about 3 items sitting there. Did I miss out on a few dollars? Possibly, although I've let things set for a month and get no action, put the at auction and they go twice what i had the BIN at. I do like to put new or high dollar items at BIN for a while at least to try to get top dollar.

16. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

There are other words and phrases that can indicate the prime condition of an item without misrepresenting it as new. "Like new," "pristine condition," "flawless," etc.

If I bought a coat and wore it around for a week without taking the tags off would I be justified in selling it as NWT? This coat was purchased in a thrift shop and then been to the cleaners. It's not "new" in any commonly understood sense of the word.

Could you sell it as such? Sure you could. Many sellers have and would, and it would be difficult for a buyer to prove that it's not. But one of the recurring themes among the regular sellers on this thread is about customer service and how to develop a client base. Being honest with your customers is a fundamental component of building your reputation as a seller.

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yeah, I hear that. My inventory is getting ridiculous. My wife complains about the mess in my office.

I'm experimenting with the auctions now that my feedback is high enough that people should take me seriously.

I just had a tie go for a month with no interest. At auction, it sold for a BIN price higher than the previous listing. I guess that whole "Shit or get off the pot" syndrome makes people want the item that much more. I also just got a bid on one of my skeets. I can't wait to see what some of this stuff ends up going for! Frye and Incotex are the hot items up right now.

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm LOLing at the thought of having only 3 items in my closet! I have AT LEAST 350 things in there...

My biggest issue is having space to hang things that go on a hanger! Hopefully I'll sell a bunch of the shirts I have on auction to make room!

I've been listing 15-25 items per day for the past couple of weeks. I'm getting more and more efficient at doing it. I'm trying to get to 50+ per day. This should get easier as I do more of my runs at night (since I'm training for a 24+ hour race, this actually makes sense).

20. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

That's what I figured - thanks