1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Just sold my first pair of shoes on the bay, not an insane sale but it's money. Until now I've allowed international shipping while assuming the high cost would dissuade most, and wouldn't you know it, my first shoe sale gets BIN'ed by a buyer overseas. Vintage Hanover longwings, size 8.5 narrow so you can guess where they're going. Hell, I have to practically "guess" as the address is barely intelligible to me, but it qualifies for seller protection and the guy has 100% feedback so I probably don't need to be nervous, but I am.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Nice!
    Same here. Just sold my first and it was Allen Edmonds. Unfortunately it was a buyer in Italy and apperantly it's not legal to ship shoes over there :(

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

True... The ten sales I've been to this year make up nearly half of the monetary value of my Ebay sales this year, but only about 40% of the profit. I'm still trying to diversify, because those sales (REI ones at least) take up a lot of time on the weekends. I'm trying to make this a proper 40 hour "job" where I can work whichever hours during the day I feel like, so spending 4+ hours on a Saturday morning isn't going to cut it much longer. Patagonia sales are quick, Thursday morning things, so they'll stay in the rotation as long as their worth my while. And I'm sure I'll still go to the REI sales, because they're still good to me.

4. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Is it worth the time to knot ties? Pictures look better, sure. But you're adding and extra 60-90 seconds. Really marginal, yeah, but I don't see clothing websites showing knotted and I wonder.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

FTFY :)

edit - clothing always sells better when someone can envision how it looks like on. Even if it will look like shit on them, show them how it should be done.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Entirely true. I had a customer send me a really nice email that the jacket he bought was exactly like the photos. He did joke that it looked better on the mannequin naturally, the mannequin has the ideal body shape.

The same concept is used in selling a house. Get the potential buyer to imagine their stuff inside. Sure, their stuff won't look as great in real life as it does in their head, but that's not really the point.

7. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I assume you're going to Japan as most of my narrow width shoes have, I wouldn't be concerned, I've made at least 15 shipments over there in the past couple months, all have gone great, all have left great feedback and 4-5 have returned for another purchase. They seem to be a little more willing to pay for a good product to and I've had multiple BINOBO listings just get bought without making an offer.

8. fastfiat81

fastfiat81 Active Member

Are you shipping International Express by chance? From what I can gather on the USPS website it is the only option that has insurance and tracking to Japan. Priority and First class don't have tracking. I think... :)

I have a buyer who wants me to ship something first class international. Which I think is out of the question since I won't be covered.

9. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I've done Priority with insurance, it will show it leaving your post office, going to Chicago, then you'll get a customs clearance in Japan, and a couple days later a "delivered". Have no issues...I wouldn't go with First Class unless you have dealt with the person, I had one buyer that I had made 2 different large shipments and then we did first class for one small shipment without any problems.

10. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Can someone help me decipher this? Is this guy unhappy? Should I offer a refund?...it sounds like he is happy then unhappy or maybe ok???

I received the vest the other day and was extremely surprised by it's "like new" condition because the add described it as Vintage.

You described this vest as being "down" yet nowhere on any of the labeling is that mentioned. I was also very surprised to see washing instructions on the inside pocket. I have several pieces of other down clothing and none of them offer washing instructions but all do mention that cleaning should be done by a professional. This is not a down product.

11. fastfiat81

fastfiat81 Active Member

Thanks Tweets. Most appreciated!

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't know, Who is this guy? I had a buyer who swore "Vintage" meant "New".

Also, down vests are indeed washable...even dryable. The ones I have instruct to put tennis balls in the dryer with them to fluff the feathers.

Link to one of my post's about it from last year. Only my label said dry with a tennis shoe....
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...t-store-bragging-thread/58800_50#post_6014054

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This made my morning... He's a moron! I have down products with labels, without labels, with hand washing instructions, with machine washing instructions, with "clean by professional". Tell him to pull a feather out and then tell you it's not down!

14. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I'm really confused on the first line, he's surprised its in good shape because it was supposed to be vintage??? Did he assume it would be torn to threads? I think I'll respond and fish around to get his thoughts.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Post pics here, I'm curious..

16. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

It's about how you knot them. There's a way to simulate a traditional knot without taking the time to actually tie one.

17. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm not so sure on this one. Could be down if the insulation felt like down. I can't tell from the pics.

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

As for vintage stuff and condition, I recently sold a 1944 suit coat that looked like it came from a time machine...

20. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

It's either down, or down substitute (Dacron Hollofil 808) which is what I told him, and that I didn't cut it open to find out which it was.