• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
devil.gif
It's worth the extra $5-7 for the thrill...
If it's me, I'll give you free delivery.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I set up a light box and took a couple hundred pictures of ties tonight. I just did my first listing and the pure white background looks blue
ffffuuuu.gif

I took the picture and just did auto-color in Picassa.

WTF!!!

I am using a Canon Rebel XS EOS 10.1MP on a tripod using the stock 55-250mm lens. I also have available an 18-55mm lens.

EDIT: I use Garage Sale on a Mac for listing and Picassa on the Mac for editing

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I should actually be posting this in the Hall of Shame thread
confused.gif

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
So I set up a light box and took a couple hundred pictures of ties tonight. I just did my first listing and the pure white background looks blue
ffffuuuu.gif

WTF!!!

I am using a Canon Rebel XS EOS 10.1MP on a tripod using the stock 55-250mm lens. I also have available an 18-55mm lens.

Post a photo or two, but its the light bulbs obviously. Looking at the photos the color correction is going to be the easy part to fix. Need to do something about the image sharpness though. Is there an image VR or image stabilizer on the camera? All the photos look slightly out of focus/blurry

Guessing there is an setting to have the camera auto correct for whatever kind of lighting you are shooting in. Even better and someone here just metioned it like two weeks ago, is that there is an custom setting (Nikon at least) where you take a picture of a white background to set the color and it auto adjusts everything to it. Freaking amazing!

Before Photoshop

After 30 second in Photoshop

In photoshop - Edit - Color Replace (select eyedrop blue -> white) - Auto Contrast

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please tell me someone else is having trouble with the "brand" drop down list on ebay. Trying to list a sport coat and I keep getting what seems to be a list of women's jeans brands to choose from.

Yep - they moved it, then blanked it, then added more brands but none of them were "Ralph Lauren" etc. Whacked. New feature.

I'm done with low starting bids. I lost money every time. It did generate tons of hits and watchers - and bids, but ultimately it ended below my cost
frown.gif

As Spoo says, "sell smart." I used to do a lot of price-point research for myriad companies, the ultimate goal being finding out 3 things:
  1. What someone would expect to pay for something of they saw it in a store,
  2. At what point the price would be too high that they would never consider buying it no matter how great it was, and
  3. At what point the price would be so low that it would make them doubt the quality of the product.

#3 being key when it comes to so-called designer brands, and more so when it comes to luxury brands. Of course, sort of goes out the window if you're doing auctions with low starting bids...I list for the least I want then cop a squat and see what happens.

ffffuuuu.gif

WTF!!!

I use Photoshop Elements and, depending on the color of the item, I usually have to play with it a bit. Sometimes the auto color correct does it in one shot, other times it's the generic auto fix, and/or auto contrast. You might be well-served with PSE or something as powerful (mine came bundled with Adobe Premiere for video - useful as well).

Canon also has the white balance setting (which is what I think Brian was getting at). You can Google it based on your camera make/model and it probably has the setting, but, it may be one-time or always-on (depends on your camera). My Canon Rebel EOS XTI has it but it's fiddly to get to and set.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

WTF!!!

flourescent lights? were they at least 5000k? did you have a filter to compensate? Regardless, with photoshop or even pixelmator, its a quick process to change the color of the background.

did you set the white balance or us AWB?

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a patch pocket cotton SC by Hickey this weekend. I know this is a modern line by Hickey Freeman. I'm trying to find the original retail for the item but having trouble finding Hickey online. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found a patch pocket cotton SC by Hickey this weekend. I know this is a modern line by Hickey Freeman. I'm trying to find the original retail for the item but having trouble finding Hickey online. Any suggestions?
It was a youth oriented line that died out then got started again to make stuff for gilt. Earlier stuff is nice and was priced just under Hickey Freeman I believe. New stuff is junk

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. Piece I picked up is nice enough looking; staple navy worsted cotton triple patch blazer!

Last edited:

marc roberto

Reaction score
I typically ship only in the u.s. but some one asked me if I would ship a suit to u.k. Can I please get some advice from those who have done it about the best way to ship to u.k. and the risk factor. Thanks.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:

The case details:
The buyer says the item doesn't match the description.
The buyer paid on Jul 08, 2013.
The buyer can be contacted at "212915xxxx" in order to resolve the problem.
The item is fake

Additional information:
"Hi. This is a nice belt, but I believe it is not a genuine Coach belt. I have a Coach store near me and they can tell me. I hope you will refund my money if they verify that it is not a genuine Coach belt. I have other Coach belts and this material is significantly lighter than the others, and shorter length than other Coach 36 inch belts. I fully expect that this was unintentional on your part. Thanks, Mike"

The buyer requested:
A refund. The refund amount includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

Quote:

Your message to the buyer:
"Mike, I am sorry you feel the belt is fake. I do believe it is authentic. Please feel free to have it checked out and submit the findings in writing. Thanks, Wes"

Quote:

eBay Customer Support comments:
This case has been automatically closed by our system. We allow a maximum of 30 days for a case to be opened in our Resolution Center when the seller has responded. If we don't receive notification from either party within that 30 day time frame, our system will close the case automatically, assuming that the issue is taken care of.

Gotta love that....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
No doubt it was real, and I'm sure they verified it for him.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads