Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yep, then crop excess off. Ill try and get some pics later. It takes literally two seconds to do.

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Like this? Would be much faster after a few thousand attempts [​IMG]

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, exactly that, less the clumsiness. lol.

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

How many of you saw the back of the tie for less than a second and said Ted Baker to yourself? When you saw the floral tie keeper? I know at least half of you did, don't judge me by my ties man not all of us can wear Kiton every day! [​IMG]

5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Apologies as I haven't read all 47 pages but will so after

I've an issue and I'm a little out of the game (been awhile since I've done an int'l shipment). I'm selling a pair of shoes and someone in Japan wants to buy them. The price is $500 for the shoes but he said the custom fees are totaling $425!! I wouldn't want him to buy the shoes even if he was willing to pay that.

1. My question is, why do we have to pay custom fees?
    2. is there a way around this?
    3. Also, what do you think is the BEST way for the buyer to pay as little or no custom fees at all?

4. Lastly, if I decided to do the transaction not through ebay, would he still have to pay the custom fees and do you recommend this?

Cheers!

6. SpooPoker

in a nutshell, they pay customs fees based on what you declare the invoice at. its against the law to mark it as a gift or a lower value - regardless of ebay or not. if you feel like fudging, then go for it. but, youll likely want to insure the shoes for the price you would want refunded if they get lost or damaged - which is the price you declare it at. I dont fux with declaring lower for any reason, any time, regardless of anything.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Honest questions, but answers can get people in trouble.... wouldnt it be illegal to purposefully circumvent paying custom fees (taxes).....[​IMG]

Are there ways to do it, sure... will you get caught, probably not (do you want to risk it)? If you don't declare the full value you also can't insure them for the full value, which trust me, you want to do.

Spoo [​IMG] Beat me by 2 min

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

8. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Thank you Spoo and Brian

The guy emailed me again and says he has never been asked to pay customs and he's purchased many items from the U.S., Europe, and etc.

He also says he's willing to pay my BIN price and shipping (I'm trying to figure that out now. USPS site says $60! Sounds expensive to me). I assume I should declare the value at $499.99, right? I hope he doesn't have to pay customs ...

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Offer international shipping and turn off global shipping program. That's why he's getting charged out the ass. Even shipping from USPS.com yourself, he may get hit with customs, but I bet it won't even touch what ebay is trying to charge him.

10. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

THANK YOU!

11. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Is full value defined as what they retail at or what they sold? Thanks, B!

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

$60 should be good with express mail send shoes abroad regularly it's $55-60 usually with ship cover

Also with insurance for FedEx have you guys been asked to not tape up packages over $500? Seems like they want to make sure of value now

14. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Hey if I do declared value of $499 on the package and let's say it gets lost I was told that USPS said they can only reimburse the amount if I have proof of purchase. Is that correct?

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I hope you're filling out your shipping labels online through ebay/paypal and not hand writing them at the post office...