Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Anyone save where it was explained how Spoo gets the ties in a 4IH for his pictures?

I am trying to get the knot like this without actually tying it around my neck...

[​IMG]

I finally set up a light box for smaller items and wanted to take pics of all of my ties. I bought a mannequin as well, and am trying to set up a little studio for my lower end stuff that doesn't make sense to consign.

2. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Its not a full 4IH i think - its tied in a straight line, not a loop. The tail goes off from the upper side of the knot and the shot is cropped so it isnt visible.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Hopefully Spoo dosnt kick my cart for this..... 2nd attempt to make a video (harder then it looks lol). FYI music is per pandora....[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

First negative from a moron who can't read - and who actually admits in the correspondence that the shorts I sold him are exactlty as measured. How do I get this shit removed again?

6. Brianpore

Fuckin call ebay [​IMG]

Seriously though, call ebay and speak with a customer service rep and ask them to take a look at the messages (hopefully they are though ebay messages and not though email)

7. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Funny, this is actually a tipping point for me. I've been selling on the side of my day job for the past nine months with nearly all proceeds going towards my wife's grad school, and have recently decided that I'm going to stop thrifting/selling with the kind of volume I have in the past as it's just too much time and stress, even at my minimal level of around 10 sales a week. And a day later, this happens - maybe some sort of confirmation?

Sure, it's a nice income supplement, but the hassle of photos, shipping, measuring is bad enough, and then having to deal with this type of moron on eBay's uneven playing field is just too much.

8. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

same situation how do i respond to this?
    Dear theverybest2013,

Recently purchased this shirt but I realized the item is not as listed. While the listing clearly states this is a "regular" nwt rrl shirt, the length of the sleeves prove that said shirt is in fact "irregular." Looking at multiple rrl xxl shirt listings show that regular sleeves measure 26.5 inches or longer, this is clearly not the case here where the sleeves measure 22.5 inches. Thus these dimensions render said shirt unwearable and the listing should be changed to "irregular" so as to aware buyers of the problem, as a result I'm requesting a refund and hope we can solve this problem as soon as possible. Thanks for your help

this is the listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290957420802

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Why do you measure from under arm? I always find that to be a strange and useless number.

10. Brianpore

11. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Yeah I suppose I should rephrase - I won't stop thrifting on occasion - maybe once a week or so, as It's fun and I've found some really good shit for myself. I think the volume and the time commitment to reel in the small returns I make has just really gotten to me - buying a shirt for $5, flipping for $20 profit was fine when I was out of work, but that level of return considering the amount of time I spend in stores, just can't cut it for me anymore now that I've got a fulltime job.

I have made decent returns, about 1k a month profit on average, which has really helped considering how bloody expensive grad school is, but meh. It's affecting my quality of life, we're making ends meet before eBay, the wife is picking up some consulting week so I think it's time step back...

I am seriously considering the consigning thing though! Unfortunately most of my stuff isn't at the level stuff that you or Spoo are generally consigning - I generally make my dough on BBs and AEs rather than EZs and EGs. But I suppose that comes down to being more picky as well and just living with slightly lower returns.

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I am baffled, I bid on a RL Polo sweater, I had the second bid but my max was below his reserve. Well my final bid was $1.25 and the auction ended with no sale. Then a few hours later I get a second chance offer for $1.25 with free shipping. I went ahead and bought it, but the guy had to have made a mistake here.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:laugh: Great video Brian, but thats about 22 seconds longer than I take. If I did that with every tie thats all I would do all day. I dont know if I can post a video but let me try and explain. Tie folded over once bend it about 8" down from top wrap around front pull through tighten does that make sense?

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

You got a buyer who thinks you are zappos and wanted to try them on / check them out, and return them no questions asked. I had a return due to "counterfeit" on a fricking Jack Spade bag - because - you know - all the fake Jack Spade bags out there you can't be too careful. I took it, didn't refund return postage, and resold later for a bit more. Blocked, SF blacklisted, and moved on.

Ditto on the nope. Had this happen with new sellers who assume it will sell for big $ and don't know about starting bid or reserve price. I left negative, blocked and SF blacklisted.

Definitely can be removed under the new eBay guidelines, assuming correspondence was thru eBay messaging. Call eBay (seems to be faster if you use the "contact us" link and get the PIN - I never wait more than 30-60 seconds).

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

...and "crop the excess off in the main photo" - is that right? Otherwise I can't figure out what you're doing with the rest of it.

Fooled around with a redonate tie the other day to try and come up with my own style other than "wavy spoo 4IH" or "tightly rolled ball o' tie". zero luck. Guess I'll have to call Mila Kunis to come model them whilst wearing a bikini.