Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

After a close examination of the pics I think you are right.

2. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

I think the half-stitched sole is correct, but the wear seems really inconsistent with the rest of the shoe.

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

So my next question is, is this deception, or just good prepping? I do like how the sanding has evened out the color of the sole. None of the work he did has any value as far as improving the shoe, and in fact the sanding probably took a few miles off of them.

4. Steve Smith

I don't think the half-stitched sole is correct. It seems to me that I am seeing slight imprints from where the stitching continued up the sole, but where the stitching has been worn/sanded away.

IMO what was done goes slightly into the realm of deception. It has been done in such a way that it misleads a casual looker as to the amount of wear on the shoe. It will lead to returns and/or negative feedback, and justifiably so.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The half stitching is right. On most SF that I've seen it converts to a closed channel about half way. Looks like the wear is just beginning to open that channel.

I don't think this is a huge deal. The soles are not badly worn, looks like he hit them with a little neutral polish and buffed them a bit, Probably didn't sand them, SF soles wear pretty smoothly from my experience. If anything the little wax would help preserve them a little longer.

Here is the archive where you can see a bunch of those types of SF soles
    http://www.shoearchives.com/Ferragamo Pages/salvatoreferragamoarchivePG1.htm

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

6. Steve Smith

You may be right. I admit to not knowing much about SF shoes.

What really baffles me about that pair is the incongruity of the heel which (to my untrained-in-Ferragamo eye) looks original and almost new and the inner heel area which shows a hole worn in the lining. If there is a Carfax equivalent for shoes I would like to see it on this pair.

If any of you want to take that idea and run with it, go ahead. Shoefax.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

My scientific wild ass guess is that the original owner ( a left-handed toe walker with excellent posture but shortened stride) wore these predominantly inside and only had short walks from his car to desk, which involved few sidewalks. The constant interoffice movement from desk to copier to fax to desk, on low pile carpeted surfaces, was not enough to wear down the soles and heels consistently with the back of the inner heel of his smaller non-dominant right foot.

[​IMG]

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Anyone know what the red checkmark thing is next to this guys username? He hasn't had any activity in a year, so his feedback is 0%

[​IMG]

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's the ID Verified symbol. It's another form of ID protection that ebay used to offer. Not sure if they still do that or not.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Anyone else receive a personal phone call from eBay in regards to the fall seller update?
    I did, and it was informative to be able to speak with a live human about the updates.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeas, they call the basic store subscribers 3 to 4 times a year (about once a month for premium). I hope you scheduled the free seller outreach call, that is where you will really learn stuff from real sellers....other than here.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thoughts guys.... bought this suit, rare my size, etc etc on the cheap from a reputable seller, not sure if he is here on SF or not. Purchased 7/18/13. Hung it up and just got around to really looking it over recently as I was going to bring it to the tailor. Its almost 30 days later (I know I know I know, stupid me), but the suit is in pretty crappy condition. Looks like someone it it with an iron (shiny) and the pants were unhemmed but are all messed up due to them being cuffed before. Pics below.

Thoughts on asking for a refund and I have no problem with you telling me I'm a jerk for waiting so long and to just suck it up.

GIANLUCA ISAIA NAPOLI MADE IN ITALY SUIT SZ 36 S PANTS 30

Side Note- If you wanted to see what unedited pictures look like, these are them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Explain the condition issues and ask for a return, but be apologetic about the delay when you do it.

And don't wait that long to inspect stuff next time! :)

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Yea I know. With all the stuff I've been listing for my EBAY CONSIGNMENT [​IMG] every time I think about it I keep forgetting. Had to bring some other stuff to the tailor so finally dug this one out of the closet to try on again.

Different opinions before I actually contact the seller?

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I'd say it's too late, but still worth a shot.