• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dexconstruct

Reaction score
I called the guy at ebay customer support, which I recommend as they have been pretty helpful and it seems like they are encouraging sellers to start contacting them about feedback if you feel its unfair. I explained that I sold a used tie to the buyer, and that he sent me the message above and left me the feedback above. He put me on hold and reviewed both the feedback and our interaction. The only messages I sent the buyer back were 2 messages asking him what exactly was wrong with the tie and he had not responded at the time of my call to ebay. If I did it again I would NOT message the buyer back, since he had already left the feedback and he had not provided any details about what might be wrong with the tie. The less detail the buyer uses to describe the complaint, the better a shot you'll have to get it removed.

The ebay rep got back on the line and said he would be removing it. He specifically mentioned two things in telling me why he could:

1.) The buyer's ONLY complaint was that the tie was worn, but I had marked pre-owned for my auction.

2.) The new guidelines gave him a little more lee-way in removing negative feedback.

The rep didn't mention anything about the negative feedback itself being false or that his complaint about the tie being worn was not specifically mentioned in the feedback itself. It seemed to me that he considered our whole interaction (messages and feedback) and was able to remove the feedback even though the actual complaint of wear was in the message and NOT the feedback. I may have just gotten a particularly understanding ebay rep, but I got the feeling that the new guidelines were letting him do this more than was previously possible. As far as the actual part of the ebay policy that the feedback violated, here's one of the FAQs on the new policy, with the part that I think was used bolded.

Quote:

Long story short, if the buyer's ONLY complaint is something was worn when you had marked it as pre-owned, you have a good chance of getting the feedback removed. My buyer didn't even leave that complaint in the feedback itself, but the feedback was still removed because that was his only complaint. I think it was Wes who had a ridiculous buyer a while ago who was mad that his vintage suit was not brand new. I think you would have a very strong case to have that removed if it occurred now, and it might even be worth a call to see if they would retro-actively remove it, depending on how long ago it was.

The only downside to all this is that the feedback is still up on my account. I have called to confirm that it is going to be removed, and they said it takes like 24-72 hours.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@ StevenT

Go to your "My Ebay" page.
Hover over the "Account" tab.
From the drop down choose "Site Preferences".
In the "Shipping Preferences" section click "Show" at the far right hand side.
You will then see a bunch of options. The first option should be "Offer the Global Shipping Program".
Change the setting to "No"

Last edited:

shirtsnmor

Reaction score
Hi All! I usually post in the Thrift thread, but saw this thread. There is some great information in here.

I searched, but couldn't find any information on my question. Is there a thread or website that can help in describing sport coat or suit fabric patterns? I have the basics like POW, tartan, herringbone, houndstooth, tweed, etc., but I run into problems when it comes to textured fabric patterns like Bird's Eye and some weaved patterns. Here are two examples:

A CK jacket with this pattern:

And a Zanella:

Any help would be appreciated!

* EDIT: Added "textured"

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ StevenT

Go to your "My Ebay" page.
Hover over the "Account" tab.
From the drop down choose "Site Preferences".
In the "Shipping Preferences" section click "Show" at the far right hand side.
You will then see a bunch of options. The first option should be "Offer the Global Shipping Program".
Change the setting to "No"

Thanks, thought I had this to no earlier, not sure what happened

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks, thought I had this to no earlier, not sure what happened

Remove it from all current auctions before doing this. Otherwise it will remove the ability to remove the program from the auction but does not actually remove GSP itself.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All! I usually post in the Thrift thread, but saw this thread. There is some great information in here.

I searched, but couldn't find any information on my question. Is there a thread or website that can help in describing sport coat or suit fabric patterns? I have the basics like POW, tartan, herringbone, houndstooth, tweed, etc., but I run into problems when it comes to textured fabric patterns like Bird's Eye and some weaved patterns. Here are two examples:

A CK jacket with this pattern:

And a Zanella:

Any help would be appreciated!

* EDIT: Added "textured"

Try this site

You can select by visual cues or other factors.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing some research and came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/580-Salvato...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Does it look to you like this guy is painting (or sharpie) a black rim around the heel and sole, and sanding down the sole wear? These shoes look odd somehow. Does the stitching actually stop half way up the sole? Looks like the soles were sanded then hit with some spray lacquer? He got a good price for them, looks like based on the ID he works in a shoe place?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a buyer leave negative feedback if the seller refunds the cost and cancels the transaction? For example, auction ends but seller cannot locate the item sold.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF - more Flakers. Buy It Now and fail to pay on a Kiton Jacket...
Send glasses to CA and then receive a Shiity e-mail from the Buyer, saying they are scratched & he wants a 25% Discount or will open a case???
I respond send them back ( please) for a full refund and the cost of shipping. No response.
It begs the questions. Why would I try to sell damaged goods and why would he want to keep and wear scratched sunglasses?
Can I just refund him 100% and get no negative feedback?

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a buyer leave negative feedback if the seller refunds the cost and cancels the transaction? For example, auction ends but seller cannot locate the item sold.

WTF - more Flakers. Buy It Now and fail to pay on a Kiton Jacket...
Send glasses to CA and then receive a Shiity e-mail from the Buyer, saying they are scratched & he wants a 25% Discount or will open a case???
I respond send them back ( please) for a full refund and the cost of shipping. No response.
It begs the questions. Why would I try to sell damaged goods and why would he want to keep and wear scratched sunglasses?
Can I just refund him 100% and get no negative feedback?
I am living proof that you can refund a buyer 100%, let them keep the product and they can still leave neg feedback. It's my only neg.

Aidan K

Reaction score
I am living proof that you can refund a buyer 100%, let them keep the product and they can still leave neg feedback. It's my only neg.

I had this exact thing happen, but I managed to get the neg removed yesterday by calling ebay support. If the buyer does not interact with you prior to opening a case, then it seems as if you can get their feedback removed.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had this exact thing happen, but I managed to get the neg removed yesterday by calling ebay support. If the buyer does not interact with you prior to opening a case, then it seems as if you can get their feedback removed.
Which is weird, because a case is automatically opened when you try to contact them about an item not as described.

Last edited:

Aidan K

Reaction score
Which is weird, because a case is automatically opened when you try to contact them about an item not as described.

Yep, but Im not complaining. That was the explanation given by the guy on the phone, and he said explicitly that it had nothing to do with having already made a full refund.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads