1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Heh - I don't drill down to the region rate stuff. I just use the box that is - more or less - 13 x 3 x 14. I have 3 or 4 variations of the same box from the USPS, and will use a "Priority Mailing Box" over a "Priority Flat Rate Box" if it's cheaper. Other than that I don't spend the time to go as inexpensively as possible.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Dude you are talking like $3-$5 cheaper per package, depending on destination. I would try it out. Flat rate Regional A is almost always the cheaper option.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Saving $3 to $5 may well be looking into in that case. I'm going to have to school myself on the Regional Rate options as I have zero experience with it. Thanks!

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's like $5.30 locally and under $9 to California, that't the range.

5. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I would say only if it's an experienced seller, they should know better how to fold up a SC. But aside from us who do this sort of thing, who the hell knows how to fold up a SC? So, really not worthy of neutral in my opinion.

[​IMG]

I've been doing research on my new Lobbs. Couldn't figure out why my box and bags are different than everyone else's selling on the bay. Turns out the ones I found are the ones issued every October 25th in limited quantities per size. They used to be called "Vintage" which is what mine are labelled. Now they are called the Saint-Crepin in honor of the patron Saint of bootmakers. So mine are the Vintage 2001. I actually found an ancient thread from 2006 here on SF that clued me in. I'm surprised that there's not more info/items for sale since they've been doing this every year since at least '99 as far as I've found so far. So market value is eluding me since they're collector's items. StCrepin2012 Anyone else know where I can turn?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. txwoodworker

I second that, my savings are usually between 1-3, I almost always check Regional VS Flat Rate. I don't try to stuff a suit into Regional, the box is too small, anyone else doing that? I always do full suits in Medium Flat Rate, SC's in Regional A

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. txwoodworker

Yes, it's your guide I printed out and put on my wall. Guess I don't refer to it enough...

9. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

I've been using Medium Flat rate boxes for sportcoats and a Large Flat Rate for suits. I tend to go priority (in what looks like medium flat rate, but isn't) for shirts.

Perhaps I'm a little too OCD, but the way I fold and wrap mine in tissue, I think I'd have a hard time getting a whole suit in a medium box.

10. WhatTheWill

WhatTheWill Well-Known Member

So, this may be a pretty dumb question, but here goes. I recently started selling on ebay; I've only sold one item so far. How bad of an idea is it to trade items with someone else on ebay?
    I'm selling a pair of common projects and someone offered to trade a different model/color for the ones I have up. Is agreeing to this asking to get ripped off? He has a feedback score of 607, 98% positive feedback, located in the US, etc.

Thanks! I'm new here, but this forum seems like a fantastic resource!

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I've traded with people for stuff my size.. it depends who it is IMO. for the most part I would avoid it unless it really benefits you a lot. Just weigh you're risk vs. your reward like in any trade.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

98% scares me already tbh, but I may be over paranoid...aside from that, I would not do a trade through eBay, and personally ONLY to people I'm comfortable with.

13. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Thanks for the sound advice, guys. Seller seems newer though at the point where he should know better. Coat is as described and I'm getting it dry cleaned anyway so wrinkles don't bug me. Will probably email him some friendly advice for his future shipments, and skip the feedback.

14. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

Just as eloquent as his message:

NOT A HONEST EBAYER! ..WHATCH IT!

15. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

For shirts I like the padded flat rate envelopes. Envelopes are free from the USPS and cost to ship is $5.70 for regular accounts. After cleaning and measuring all my shirts get labeled and go into a poly bag. Easy to simply slide the shirt into the bag and ship. Sometimes 2 shirts can fit in padded envelope.

[​IMG]