• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have a buyers address in the following format:

John Doe
PO Box 123
1234 X Street
City, State 12345

My postage machine does not recognize it as a valid address
It's a PO box on line 1 and a residential address on line 2

Should I be suspicious? Never seen an address like this with 2 different addresses
Look up the street address on Google maps. It’s probably a mailing center. My business address was along those lines when I lived in Cupertino, CA.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So an item I shipped last week has not shown up in tracking at all. I dropped it at the post office, inside the designated container for drop off. The post office says they can't trace it. I've reached out to the buyer and said I'll refund him if it doesn't show up in the next couple of days. Will an 'item not received' type of case result in a transaction defect?

haloitsme

Reaction score
Hi guys, a buyer claims I sell Fake Stuff and left a negative.
He states" I do not have to justify myself with a scammer but for your information, my sister works at tom ford all I had to do is text her the pictures"
Of course, the sister knows it, thus he buys from me ...

He also wants to return the item at my cost. The funny thing is, I have an Invoice from the company. How should I proceed?

Best

div25sec9

Reaction score
Hi guys, a buyer claims I sell Fake Stuff and left a negative.
He states" I do not have to justify myself with a scammer but for your information, my sister works at tom ford all I had to do is text her the pictures"
Of course, the sister knows it, thus he buys from me ...

He also wants to return the item at my cost. The funny thing is, I have an Invoice from the company. How should I proceed?

Best
Others with more experience might weigh in with other advice, but the best way I found to proceed in this is the following:
1. Accept the return, you'll have to pay the shipping
2. Once you get the return, refund the money.
3. Call ebay and open up an appeal on the return case. With receipts, you'll be able to get this overturned.
4. Once ebay reviews the case and sees that it's legit, you will have your fees returned and your shipping. Most importantly, ask for the feedback to be removed since it clearly is false.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Others with more experience might weigh in with other advice, but the best way I found to proceed in this is the following:
3. Call ebay and open up an appeal on the return case. With receipts, you'll be able to get this overturned.
4. Once ebay reviews the case and sees that it's legit, you will have your fees returned and your shipping. Most importantly, ask for the feedback to be removed since it clearly is false.
THANk you
I don’t know if it’s worth it, because it’s international and Fedex /dhl label cost about 70$. Iam thinking about writing it off, but $200...

In any case. The jokers name is:
eshabahang

LKittelb

Reaction score
anyone with experience here with receiving an empty box back on a return on ebay? sold a MTM TF blazer two weeks ago, the buyer requested a return because the item "had been altered" (already sus, it was MTM to begin with), i paid for a shipping label to ship back and received an empty box this afternoon in the mail. i reported it right away as part of the return process, with pictures, and figured it would be reviewed by a human before they closed the case. my error. they (probably automated) closed the case within several hours and refunded the buyer, and i am left with some shipping materials. It was one of my priciest sales this year, and I actually really liked that jacket and wore it a bunch. I just needed some extra cash and decided to see what i could get for it.

i reported the buyer in as many formats as i could find, including repealing the return case and informing ebay that the buyer abused returns, but i am afraid the cash is gone, if it has already been refunded. is there any hope to get my money back?

thanks for the tips

goatamous II

Reaction score
i don't have tips, but i can tell you that i would be calling ebay non-stop and escalating as much as i could
Good luck.

EDIT: also name that mofo so we can all block

LKittelb

Reaction score
buyer tag is minto365 feel free to block if you are so inclined

i cant find a phone number online for customer service, they take you through the tunnel of FAQ pages with no phone number. can anyone assist in that department? thx

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance you have a UPS weight check on the return? I occasionally get hit with overages/refunds because my weight doesn't match actual, so they're at least randomly checking package weight, maybe they would have something for you if you?

LKittelb

Reaction score
Is there any chance you have a UPS weight check on the return? I occasionally get hit with overages/refunds because my weight doesn't match actual, so they're at least randomly checking package weight, maybe they would have something for you if you?
yeah, I thought of this.There was a substantial weight difference between the initial shipment and the return, and I think USPS (carrier used) weighs every package, even though this was a flat rate box. I am hoping eBay already has that infrastructure in place to cross reference though, so I can keep my hands out of it.

update, i was on the phone with eBay, and they are looking into it. The service rep seemed confident they could settle the dispute, so we shall see.

LKittelb

Reaction score
Update: good news, eBay got back to me after appealing the return and will be issuing a full refund for the fraudulent return. not sure how they made their decision on it, but the had me sign an affidavit confirming I had received an empty box, and within 6 hours or so they came back and said that they were able to verify it. the whole thing took about 30 hours from receiving the "return" to settlement. very pleased they were able to verify. I suppose that's where all my eBay fees are going... its bittersweet

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update: good news, eBay got back to me after appealing the return and will be issuing a full refund for the fraudulent return. not sure how they made their decision on it, but the had me sign an affidavit confirming I had received an empty box, and within 6 hours or so they came back and said that they were able to verify it. the whole thing took about 30 hours from receiving the "return" to settlement. very pleased they were able to verify. I suppose that's where all my eBay fees are going... its bittersweet
Damn, thats great news. a rarity today. I figured you had a 50% refund coming at best. Thats how my last 3 or 4 scam returns have gone.

Featured Sponsor

Where do you usually take inspiration for your style? Choose up to 3 answers

• Styleforum & other menswear forums

• Instagram

• TikTok

• Reddit

• Fashion Magazines

• Fashion Blogs

• Friends & Acquaintances

• Celebrities/influencers

• TV Shows & Movies

Results are only viewable after voting.