Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Me?

No table, I just shoot on the floor. The smaller 2x3 piece is on the floor and curved up towards to wall for shoes so it is one sweeping transition. If I had a table it would do the same thing, just have a piece large enough to have a full sweep so there are no seams.

For ties/pants. I just lay them out and shoot at a 45-80 degree angle depending on the look I'm going for, again no seams if the piece is large enough.

Here's another unedited photo where I caught the edge of the background so you can see what I mean

[​IMG]

PS - Lights, those two along with an Lowel Omni light which I'll prob sell were $350 shipped on ebay. Bought it for the Rifa light as those get to be pricy even on ebay. I really want to sell the tota and get another Rifa if I can get a good deal.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

lol I just encountered the worst scammer ever.

He lives local to me according to his item's page and has 0 ebay feedback. I asked him to meet in person so we could just do the exchange that way. His response was that he felt safer taking paypal instead of cash because someone 'scammed him' with fake $100 bills before. So I offered to meet in person and paypal him on my phone or laptop right in front of him. Still wasn't good enough. He then told me he was afraid I could just stab and rob him. So FINALLY I offered to meet in a public, safe place, and that would even take money out of an ATM right in front to pay with him with. and he still refused. Kept trying to convince me that Paypal had buyer protection. (Which it does, but he just kept pushing that point.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Once you buy it, you get his address right? Maybe he'd feeling safer if you made an unannounced visit in his home where he felt more comfortable?

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable meeting up with a stranger.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

6. Brianpore

+1 - Most people dont think about the "return address" but feel weird about meeting strangers who might rob them.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have met a few people on occasion. Mostly when I sold large items, (VTG Coal Stove, Lawnmower, Lawn Tractor, Dirt Bike, 500,000 baseball cards, etc). I always offer delivery for these at the standard $0.56 a mile with in about a 100-150 mile radius. I don't prefer them to meet me at my house, but it has happened. That's actually how I met Dustinmyself, before I even knew he was on SF. Apparently he was lurking and found my ebay listings. He bought a pair of Hanovers from me....now he comes over to shop at my house from time to time. [​IMG]

Anyway, so far so good on meeting buyers, but it only takes one crazy person to murder you.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Let he who has never killed an ebay or CL customer in a face to face meeting cast the first stone.

9. Brianpore

10. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Getting ready to start adding Worldwide shipping to my auctions as I finally have some high enough items coming in to appeal to foreign buyers...trying to get all my bearings before I add it.

*Don't use Global Shipping Program
    *Don't ship to Brazil, Italy, Russia, Ukraine

Now, what shipping method do you guys use for most overseas shipments? Does it depend on the country?

On an unrelated note, shipping an original shoe box, is the best idea to get a box bigger than that box or are the poly mailers the way to go?

Thanks for the help!

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I use USPS International Priority with eBay ship insurance for almost every instance... Fed Ex if it gets to be high dollar.

That shoe box will not hold up in a poly mailer. It "should" fit neatly inside the free priority shoe box mailer.

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't know. Judging from the "Beautiful" feedback he left for all the other ties he purchased lately...his opinion of beauty may be invalid.

14. tben

tben Senior member

Everything was beautiful and/or cute, except for the tie that you sent him gm, that's a shame. [​IMG]

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

What's the reasoning behind not using the global shipping program, besides the high charges from eBay?