• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I asked about other sales channels, then decided to give them a try. Results:

Grailed: Total **** show. Absolutely the worst group of buyers. Today I received a Paypal case 'not as described' on a shirt which was delivered 10 weeks ago. First correspondence from that buyer.

The Real Real: When I first read about how they work my thought was that I didn't like the idea of letting them set (and reduce) prices. So I sent them a few shirts and they got top dollar for them. Then I sent more, and they put them out with starting prices of less than 50% of what they actually received on the first group. Their system is not set up to help the seller. They are either incompetent or dishonest.

Poshmark: Not terrible, but mostly lowball buyers.

As much as I complain about it, ebay is really the only one worth using.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I asked about other sales channels, then decided to give them a try. Results:

Grailed: Total **** show. Absolutely the worst group of buyers. Today I received a Paypal case 'not as described' on a shirt which was delivered 10 weeks ago. First correspondence from that buyer.

The Real Real: When I first read about how they work my thought was that I didn't like the idea of letting them set (and reduce) prices. So I sent them a few shirts and they got top dollar for them. Then I sent more, and they put them out with starting prices of less than 50% of what they actually received on the first group. Their system is not set up to help the seller. They are either incompetent or dishonest.

I have had decent results with FB Marketplace. But, alas, eBay still rules the platforms.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t sold, or bought even, anything on eBay in almost a year... how do I know if I’ve been forced into the managed payments?
And yes, I’ll go look through my settings but it’s been so long since I used eBay I forgot my PW and even though I was able to reset it I had tried too many times before the reset and so they find it necessary for me to be locked out for the rest of the day, haha. I see they’re still ass backwards, even on the little things...

div25sec9

Reaction score

Here's my experience:
Grailed: I don't even bother anymore. They raised the fees and the buyers are the worst....by far the most scams run there... a lot of "not received" and later Paypal chargeback attempts. Last week I had a person contact me about a jacket, indicating that they had not received it. I haven't sold anything on Grailed in a long time, so I had to check the date on that sale. It was from 3 YEARS AGO!!!

Poshmark: Higher fees, but a more easy process for records, all fees are charged upfront. A lot of low-ballers so I list things at higher prices there so I have more negotiating room. The shipping is cheaper than cost in Canada, so it seems to be better for local sales. They also rule on disputes fairly, so no headaches there.

Ebay: still the front runner. Since I have accepted all returns, the amount for NAD cases has dropped significantly. The returns aren't too crazy, and they have to cover shipping, so it's just a bit more admin work for those.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had decent results with FB Marketplace. But, alas, eBay still rules the platforms.

FB Marketplace seems hit or miss, depending on where you live. I've sold maybe a dozen things there, but tend not to bother with things that are fairly low value. I'll get messages, respond, and then get no response. It's a lot like Craigslist, other than that you can see the person's name.

rhyme

Reaction score
Honestly, my first thought is that your message, "If I decline the return would you leave me negative feedback?" almost sounds like you are requesting that he leave you negative feedback after you decline the return. Although, I'm sure that's not how you intended it. That's not quite how feedback extortion works. What does his feedback say exactly?
I was going for feedback extortion but I realize I effed up. He said something about me being me being rude and not accepting returns .

I worked it out this morning. Took his return and had his revise the negative.

I am on the fence about accepting return. Are you ok with me messaging you a few questions? It would help me decide. Thanks

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
I was going for feedback extortion but I realize I effed up. He said something about me being me being rude and not accepting returns .

I worked it out this morning. Took his return and had his revise the negative.

I am on the fence about accepting return. Are you ok with me messaging you a few questions? It would help me decide. Thanks
This is a question that comes around with great regularity, so I'll do a quick summary, which is that even if you "don't take returns on eBay", you still take returns. I have a strict no-returns policy until someone asks for one, in which case, 99.5% of the time I'll accept it. "Move along everybody, nothing to see here". For me, it's all about the least amount of friction. I will sometimes make an initial attempt to redirect the buyer before saying "sure, fine" if they don't bite. So, in summary, you can still maintain a "no returns" policy, as I do (really just to weed out the folks who buy with the intent of returning), but if someone asks, you accept the return or you'll get too many SNAD conversions.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of replies, I just realized I’ve probably been getting dinged for not replying to emails no sane person would reply to.

For instance:

YOU: Thanks, buyer, it’s been great!
BUYER: You bet!

No need to reply, but technically, you have an outstanding message. As I can’t take any more furtive dings, I’ve been having some odd back and forth where someone will send a thumbs up emoji, I’ll say, Awesome, thanks again!, only to be hit with a smiley face, and I’m stuck in an odd time loop in which I’m getting $0 to participate.

rhyme

Reaction score
It looks like you were trying to entrap him into extorting you.
No. It's a $600 hype item and I know a negative would follow so I was covering ****** by having him confirm the reason. I could then go to eBay and have it removed.

On my last neg the the rep told me if I have such a statement on file they would back me, upon reflection I misread that statement.

Nonetheless, it's been handled and I worked it out with the buyer.

This is a question that comes around with great regularity, so I'll do a quick summary, which is that even if you "don't take returns on eBay", you still take returns. I have a strict no-returns policy until someone asks for one, in which case, 99.5% of the time I'll accept it. "Move along everybody, nothing to see here". For me, it's all about the least amount of friction. I will sometimes make an initial attempt to redirect the buyer before saying "sure, fine" if they don't bite. So, in summary, you can still maintain a "no returns" policy, as I do (really just to weed out the folks who buy with the intent of returning), but if someone asks, you accept the return or you'll get too many SNAD conversions.
I agree. I take returns even when I have a no return policy. The hassle is not worth my time or even a good use of my time.

Which is why I am considering to open the gates and just accept returns. I am trying to get some insight before I decide.

div25sec9

Reaction score
Speaking of replies, I just realized I’ve probably been getting dinged for not replying to emails no sane person would reply to.

For instance:

YOU: Thanks, buyer, it’s been great!
BUYER: You bet!

No need to reply, but technically, you have an outstanding message. As I can’t take any more furtive dings, I’ve been having some odd back and forth where someone will send a thumbs up emoji, I’ll say, Awesome, thanks again!, only to be hit with a smiley face, and I’m stuck in an odd time loop in which I’m getting $0 to participate.

There is a punishment for not answering messages? I ignore at least half as they're a conversation-ending reply or some lowball offer (where they couldn't even be bothered to click the offer button).

What's the penalty for a no reply?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a punishment for not answering messages? I ignore at least half as they're a conversation-ending reply or some lowball offer (where they couldn't even be bothered to click the offer button).

What's the penalty for a no reply?
No penalty. I just select all, mark as read, and they all go away.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait, there’s no penalty?

In the various ‘how to improve your stats’ sections (and in my case, emails), they mention replying to all messages, and in a timely fashion — though they could just be referring to customer satisfaction, not metrics. (It is all so purposefully vague).

I got worried after reading this because a bunch of old items are tagged with ‘You still have unanswered questions!’.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The most important things to worry about when it comes to your ebay seller account health.
  • Receiving Negative feedback.
  • Cancelling a transaction for damaged or out of stock.
  • Having a Case closed without seller resolution.
  • High NAD return rates, resulting in higher final value fees.

If you are a top rated seller, there are a few other things to worry about to keep the status/discount
  • On-time, validated tracking at least 95% of the time
  • Having less than 3% transactions with late shipment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads