• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to google Elvis_decanters, can you imagine being such an asshole that all you have on the internet is multiple unrelated forums advising anyone that’s listening to stay away from you?
If I remember correctly, in addition to ridiculing the clothes he was interested in, he did the same for baseball cards, right?

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One for the block list: papanana01

Paid only after an uncase was opened. Opened a SNAD as soon as the item was received and the explanation was the item was more dated that they thought. It was a pair of suspenders...

LaundryRoom

Reaction score
And here's another:

Screenshot 2021-03-14 144351.jpg

0 feedback buyer, apparently opened an account to buy this shirt. Opened a SNAD claiming "The sleeves and length are too short. I have many Pendleton’s to compare it to. "

If that's true, then the detailed measurements in the listing might have served some use.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all of you that sell casually, and typically sell at a loss--just selling stuff you don't wear much to fund new purchases--how do you deal with income taxes? This is the first year that I've been issued a 1099K by PayPal. I know that I should be able to subtract those earnings from the original cost of those items, and also that I can subtract fees/shipping from the total, so shouldn't end up having my 1099K amount count as income (as it actually reflects a net loss) but how do you all typically show this? Is there an official way of demonstrating that this isn't a net profit, or do you simply claim this on your taxes and then worry about proof in the unlucky event they come back to you asking for proof?

My taxes until now have mostly just been me punching W2 amounts directly into my 1040 form, so I'm not at all sophisticated when it comes to other forms of income and/or deductions. That said, I didn't earn nearly enough to justify an accountant for this, so hoping to figure it out on my own. Any advice would be appreciated!

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man... eBay is so annoying. I shipped a pair of shoes via FedEx 2-day. USPS was showing me like $19 or so and FedEx was about $14, so that's what I went with. I just got an e-mail saying I'll be getting billed about $30 for the shipping. My weight and dimensions were right. I double-checked and they weighed it and measured it at a FedEx facility. I called eBay and they were like, "Oh, we'll need to submit a claim with FedEx and wait to hear back..." After talking to the guy for a few minutes and explaining how crazy this all was that they can just re-bill an amount that's more than double, he just went ahead and credited me the difference to my 'managed payments.' Issue resolved, but 15 minutes wasted on the phone.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does this seem scammy to you? Seller has 155 positive feedback.

View attachment 1570409
Followup on this:

I wrote the guy twice. First, asking for the courier information and where the item shipped from. No response. 2 days later, asked if he had tracking yet. No response. Was ready to open a dispute if I didn't get it today, so of course it comes today.

I ordered it on March 2nd. The label was created March 5, but it was not actually shipped until the 11th, 3 days after this message (and 9 days after I ordered). Also it looks like it was drop shipped from a wholesaler, and his "courier" was USPS. So this guy straight lied to me. On the fence about whether to leave negative or neutral feedback. He's definitely getting 1 star for "shipping speed" and "communication."

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For all of you that sell casually, and typically sell at a loss--just selling stuff you don't wear much to fund new purchases--how do you deal with income taxes? This is the first year that I've been issued a 1099K by PayPal. I know that I should be able to subtract those earnings from the original cost of those items, and also that I can subtract fees/shipping from the total, so shouldn't end up having my 1099K amount count as income (as it actually reflects a net loss) but how do you all typically show this? Is there an official way of demonstrating that this isn't a net profit, or do you simply claim this on your taxes and then worry about proof in the unlucky event they come back to you asking for proof?

My taxes until now have mostly just been me punching W2 amounts directly into my 1040 form, so I'm not at all sophisticated when it comes to other forms of income and/or deductions. That said, I didn't earn nearly enough to justify an accountant for this, so hoping to figure it out on my own. Any advice would be appreciated!
Since you don't have a profit motive, I believe the "by the book" way to deal with your situation is report the income as "Other Income" on your 1040. You won't be able to deduct against it, but it also won't be subject to self employment tax.

The only way to deduct against your gross receipts is to file a Schedule C. From what I have read, if you show a loss 3 out of 5 years, you risk getting audited and having your business reclassified as a hobby. I don't know what the actual risk of this is, but it is not automatic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads