Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

The biggest flaw I can see is the auction has ended. Other than that they look good.

2. enjay

enjay Active Member

Because I bought them [​IMG]

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

The thought of cross-selling is once again festering in my mind. I know it's been discussed before, but has anyone had any luck selling places online other than eBay? By that, I mean has anyone sold anything appreciable...not "this site doesn't charge to list and only 2% fees" and "that site has a good layout and you can import directly from eBay." Places that actually get sales and are worth the effort, other than eBay.
    I had a bonanza shop and only sold one thing in nearly a year. Nice layout, features and prices but no sales.

Also, has anyone listed their items online (a blog like Tumblr, Pinterest, here on "What I'm selling on eBay", etc) to drive traffic, which has shown any uptick in views / purchases? Just wondering if efforts in that regard are worth it overall - if it gets proven results vs. if it's just "a good idea" or "can't hurt."

I was bumbling around Etsy and came across TyphoidJones' shop - are there hard-and-fast rules that everything sold there has to be vintage, handmade or craft supplies? Seems like everything falls into one of those 3 categories by default.

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

There isnt a viable alternative market to sell pre-owned high end mens clothing. Its already a relatively small niche, and eBay is the best place to meet customers. So don't stress about it.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

According to my traffic report for my eBay store, about 10% of my views every month are linked from Styleforum. I don't know how it plays out on purchases, and I only know of a few Styleforum member purchases. Of course a Styleforum Guest can always click through to link and shop right from my eBay store, so there is that. I'd say 10% is a decent amount, and it has to be resulting in at least some percentage of my sales.

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I know I follow a few of you guys and have you in my favorite sellers list. Especially when I see something you post in the thrift thread that I like, I will pop over there and see if it is my size and if I can afford it. I haven't bought anything from you yet, but have bid on a few from you and Spoo as well. I also have Brianpore saved, at first because he was consigning some stuff from me and then because he sells some great stuff... If you post in the thrift thread regularly and have your eBay link in your signature than more than likely I have checked out what you are selling. I also subscribe to the "What I am selling" post and will hop from those links as well. So I would definitely recommend at least linking to your eBay page in your signature.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I cross post almost everyone I can in my MEGATHREADS (see links below) here on Styleforum, but I would say 2-3% (2 or 3 out of 100 sales) come from someone on Styleforum now. It use to be MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH higher and has been in a stead not that slow decline since they switched over to the new format a year or two ago now..been a while. I guess I am cheap and do not pay for the "bumps" as much as I should which would help items sell. I am going to start doing that soon so hopefully that helps. No other real place IMO besides AAAC and that is for J Press, VTG BB, etc.

The reason people bitch about ebay customers, ebay fees, etc but still use ebay is that it provides a huge seller base that no one else can match.

MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - Tons of Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! - NEW ADDED
    MEGATHREAD - HIGH END TIES, TIES, TIES - LOTS OF TIES - New Added
    ISAIA NAPOLI - SUPER HUGE MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Pants, Ties, Hangers & Pins - TONS OF SIZES - Final Price Drops!!!
    BELVEST - SUPER HUGE NWT MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Tuxedos - Size 36, 38, 40, 42 - Offers Accepted

8. TheNeedMachine

Thanks dudes!

Pretty much been my experience in the past - thanks for verifying. I think I'll add to my Etsy only for true vintage clothing & other stuff.

In my experience, most SF folks want to trade (for something of mine). I have only bought one thing from SF, and sold one thing on SF, and both were good deals all around I think...but that was from the thrift brag, not "what i'm selling". Eh - probably still post there when I have down time.

Reminds me I need to put my eBay link back in my sig - thanks!

I too am loathe to pay for advertising but it does pay off (you ever heard of that Spoo guy? Heard he does OK). The one thing I have on Etsy is over $2k so I might spring for the $7/weekly promotion which nets like 5500 impressions.

9. Brianpore

10. TheNeedMachine

Got an offer of $450 on a BINOBO item listed at $650...which is a totally acceptable offer, but the user included a note: "This is first time I have purchased from ebay. Very wary." They do in fact have a feedback of 3, on items they bought in 2006, and have been on eBay since 2001. But since they are expressing apprehension in advance and don't remember having bought anything on eBay before (granted, it was 7 years ago) - would you accept their offer? Their wariness is making me wary of selling to them!

11. Brianpore

Had the same basic situation (only $100+) the other day. Member for years, only one other purchase.... people have to start somewhere.

Ship, signature, and spend the few extra bucks to insure it maybe? Once you accept it, you will get his name/address, google is your friend....

12. TheNeedMachine

Put This On - I have seen ads on there from LuxeSwap quite a bit, and it's probably pure coincidence that they feature his items in their roundup with regularity. [​IMG]
    Has that relationship since ended? Do not know...

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Can you set up immediate payment without a store?
    I've sold a few things via Instagram but other than that it's eBay & B&S

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I would see if you can increase the offer a bit to maybe 550 or 500. If your going to sell it to him with a bit of concern, make it worth the chance [​IMG]

At that price point insuring the item & requesting sig confirmation should cover you.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. TheNeedMachine

Thank you for the advice. I think I will send him a message saying to check my feedback, don't want him to have buyer's remorse before even buying, and that I can decline (or accept) his offer within 48 hours. Give the guy a chance to catch his breath - $450 is a lot to offer on something, for us regular folk.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013