• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not the greatest week here. Wednesday morning, about 8AM, I noticed a bunch of items in my ebay "recently viewed items" that I had not recently viewed. I called ebay to make sure my account was secure. Talked to 3 reps who told me it was secure, but that there was a suspicious IP address on record from a few days earlier. So they blocked it and told me a few things to do and check on my own, change passwords, password questions, 2 Step Verification, etc.

While I was going through the checklist, I discovered that a few days earlier my payment details were changed and all my sales for the past 3 days had been paid to someone else. 2 days worth had already been shipped, and the 3rd batch already posted, but not given to the USPS yet.

Another 3 Rep phone call. They instructed me to put my store on full vacation mode while I make the necessary changes to my account to correct the payment details.

I refunded all the transactions with payments to the wrong account, and sent emails to all the affected customers explaining the situation and that I would send a link to their newly listed item or an invoice to make a repeat payment once things were cleaned up. I was able to change the address on most of my active listings using the business policies tool, but I had maybe 500 listings that had offers out. Those all had to be ended, edited and relisted.

Shew, there goes that hour, but not too bad I guess. Hopefully some of those people will re-pay for their stuff.

And then... I discovered the changes had already populated across the other 9 international ebay sites. Waiting for them to switch back on their own via third party update could take up to 48 hours, so I decided to change them all manually on each individual site.

I turned off vacation mode and sent links or invoices to all the affected customers for their items.

Shew, there goes that 6 hours....but that's still a lot better than two days!

Checked my phone after a couple beers and realized only 10 listings were active in search results on the US site, Then I remembered it taking a while for things to go live again after being on full vacation mode, sometimes a couple days...which is why I stopped using it. I noticed the 10 active listings were listings that I had just edited. I opened a test batch in the bulk editor and just closed it. The test batch showed up in search results a couple minutes later. Nice! I went through all 5000 listings 1000 at a time, opening in bulk editor and closing. A few errors would pop up each time that needed fixing for some reason, so it took about an hour to work through the whole inventory. Finally! Everything was live again!

Wait, what about the international sites? NO!

Rinse, Repeat......

3:30AM Pillow

Thursday Afternoon. I got an email from eBay saying they have noticed suspicious activity on the account and have locked it for all buying, selling, and messaging. I called in to make sure it wasn't a new account breach, and was told it was just the computer finally catching up with me. He said he could see the history of all the account tasks I had done on Wednesday and was amazed. He told me since the computer had sent the notice out I would just need to change my password again and I would be all set.

Friday Morning. I got another email from eBay saying they noticed suspicious activity on the account and have ended all my listings, and that it was blocked from all buying selling and messaging. Another call to eBay, they said it was still the computer catching up with Monday's hijacking. I was able to relist everything with credits.

Saturday Morning....

Well, here I am, sitting here with my fingers crossed. I didn't get **** done this week, didn't sell much either with the store turned on and off so many times. On the bright side, 75% of the items that had already been shipped have been paid for again by the customers, and 50% off the pending orders that were cancelled have been re-purchased. I'll get the money back on the postage in a few weeks, and since I cancelled all the orders there will be no fees. Mostly ends up being just a huge loss of time.

That’s awful....

Could you have bought thousands of dollars of stuff with the new payment information the scumbag gave you?

Any way to track him down?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold a tie just before the pandemic really hit in early March. I shipped the package International
First Class and it obviously didn’t get delivered quickly. The buyer was impatient and opened a case. I refunded them because it was a cheap tie.

Then today, the buyer messages me saying they received the item and they would like to pay me. Is it possible for me to get my refund refunded? Or do I just tell him to enjoy his free tie?
Given it was a cheap tie, I'd tell him he can hang onto it, just for the goodwill it buys you.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Live!
Deadstock
2C60666B-E65D-4EA3-A894-55D0154AB599.jpeg

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Up to your discretion whether you want to block this guy. Messaged me multiple times before the purchase about sending a picture of the tie knotted so he could see how it looked also.
29939C69-6B38-4040-A4E7-BFA8FCAE04BC.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up to your discretion whether you want to block this guy. Messaged me multiple times before the purchase about sending a picture of the tie knotted so he could see how it looked also. View attachment 1406682

He must not on SF. If he was, he’d know that the proper response would be to buy a new outfit to match the tie.

eddiegreen

Reaction score
Listed an authentic Moncler polo showing hologram and serial number in photos. eBay took it down as ‘counterfeit’. I listed it again with 4 photos of authenticity verification screenshots from moncler plus the code that anyone can enter themselves at Moncler.com, 24 hours later it gets removed again for ‘counterfeit goods’.
I’m not even going to bother calling them about it to save the headache.
Wtf is going on? ?‍♂️

illeagle

Reaction score
Blocking PSA: eBay user "wst500" is a royal PITA. Offered me $10 shipped for a minty used M+M shirt weeks ago so I blocked him as I do with lowballers. He comes back today and asks why he can't offer (also noting how he can get the same exact shirt for $69 shipped & new which I could not find anywhere), so I tell him he was blocked for lowballing. Then he tries to lecture me on how the shirt must be overpriced (BIN OBO of $48 shipped) if it hasn't sold yet and that I care too much about an "inanimate commodity" -- as though I should just sell it to him to show I don't care? I don't know. Anyway, "wst500" is an annoying pest and sounds like a Karen.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Everyone here probably has their own way of doing this or just doesn't suck at taking pictures like I do, but one of my most-used apps on my phone for the past couple years has been Snapseed, which straightens photos for free. Really quick and easy to use, great for the mannequins that look like they they're about five tequilas deep.

goatamous II

Reaction score
Listed an authentic Moncler polo showing hologram and serial number in photos. eBay took it down as ‘counterfeit’. I listed it again with 4 photos of authenticity verification screenshots from moncler plus the code that anyone can enter themselves at Moncler.com, 24 hours later it gets removed again for ‘counterfeit goods’.
I’m not even going to bother calling them about it to save the headache.
Wtf is going on? ?‍♂️
Not sure if you list on grailed, but might be a good avenue for a Moncler with the HB crowd given eBay being morons

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Given it was a cheap tie, I'd tell him he can hang onto it, just for the goodwill it buys you.

Or just sent him a direct paypal request. If you look up the original transaction / refund you will see his paypal info and you can send the request there (maybe give a discount for the ebay fee refund you received as final value fee credit)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads