Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Check Plaid Windowpane...get all the keywords in there.

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Thank you! I knew it was some oddball combination - totally escaped me.

3. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Check Plaid Windowpane...get all the keywords in there.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Exactly, I'm not sure what the correct term is but it's probably something obscure that most people aren't going to search.

6. TheNeedMachine

Understood - and while it is all of those things, I know there has to be a recognized / "official" name for that pattern...like me saying my ex-girlfriend was a cheating money-grabbing liar, and people would say "oh, the term you're looking for is 'slut'". [which she was not - as far as I know she never lied to me [​IMG] ]. Heh.

7. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

I purchased this suit back in early June: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-FLAWLE...O4hIkh8DNabIDqfT14T8U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

In the description, it states the sleeves are 25" and can be let out approximately 2". I just got to measuring the sleeves and they are a baffling 23.5" and 24" respectively, with a max of 1" under hem. Do I have a legitimate case against the seller? Or have I waited too long to inspect the garment?

Does it add complications that I already let out the pants hem? I'd be willing to have a tailor hem them back to exact same inseam and cuff size.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

8. TheNeedMachine

From HK, I would wait, if the seller has a good track record and not assume you've been had. 6-8 weeks is not uncommon for SAL / standard international 1st class. However, if the seller has a bunch of negatives I'd let the resolution case take it's course, but it's not like you have any alternative in the meantime since your case won't resolve until 8/20 anyway [meaning, you can ask the seller for a full refund all you want, but with an open case that won't close until 8/20, you now have to wait until then to get any sort of eBay / PayPal involvement in the event the seller won't issue a refund earlier]. I've bought stuff from HK, from reputable sellers, and it took so long that when it finally arrived I forgot I bought the thing.

PayPal max is 60 days.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

9. TheNeedMachine

Bought in early June - and we're in late July before you took some measurements - if I were the seller I'd have a real hard time reconciling why you waited this long and would assume you're trying to return for some other reason...especially being willing to re-alter the pants at your cost back to original measurements. That's just weird.
    You might push a case thru eBay / PayPal; doesn't seem like much of a SNAD case to me, and waiting 6 weeks to try on the coat - again - my Spidey Sense tingles on that one.
    As a seller, I'd hope someone doesn't surprise me 6 weeks later with a return attempt when I have a liberal 14-day return policy (many folks have a no return policy).
    As a buyer, I would have tried the thing on a day or 2 after I received it.
    I think in good conscience, you do not have a case, though in theory you might.

10. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Tonights experiment. Tried to get the marker off the bottom of suede ankle boots and the silver price marking off of leather soled shoes.
    Leather shoes with Marshalls writing on the bottom. I rubbed it with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After: (ouch?)
    [​IMG]

Next pair. Suede boots with a leather sole.
    [​IMG]

First I tried sandpaper but even after a long time hardly anything came off so I did the unthinkable...[​IMG]
    I tried a bleach pen. Had a bad feeling in my stomach when I started, and, you guessed it, it leaked and
    got on the suede. It was a small spot near the bottom so my wife offered to wear them herself to make me feel better.[​IMG]

11. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Understood. Wanted to hear the opinions of you who actively sell on eBay. It is my fault for waiting so long to investigate the garment after its arrival. I am not trying to pull any tricks on the seller, but I understand how it may be interpreted differently.

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

On a recently donated BB haul I had picked up on vacation in FL, BB had mostly just sharpied the tags and removed most retail tags, but on some items (I passed) they actually cut the label in half, none were actually removed completely though. As others in this thread have mentioned, the quality of the pants will speak for themselves if you're buying for yourself.
    I hate it when people ask to return outside the 14 day window. It's actually a PIA becuase the eBay managed return process can't be used outside your stated policy. I recently had someone dick the dog on a return, and go past the 14 day deadline (legit - I mis-labelled a 2XL as XL, of course the ass could've checked the dimensions) I didn't want to leave him hanging, so I just gave him a full refund and told him to keep the item (not a big price tag at all, one of my many disappointing summer auctions).
    I feel your pain, it does sound like a listing screw up, but you def. waited too long. I saw a lister who actually measured and listed BOTH sleeves on each and every item. He probably got burned once, I can't imagine it's that common of a thing. The way I see it is, as much as eBay is trying to make this a "retail" experience for buyers, most listers aren't making anywhere near retail markup, and it's painful to have to provide a Nieman Marcus level of service on JC Pennys margins.

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Alright. I wanted to put my best foot forward before I asked for critique but I'm trying to get better faster. Hoping people can give me some tips and suggestions. I'm ashamed of my name but I wanted to list quickly before I got cold feet about the whole thing. I have no dress form yet or proper lightin because I have no space in my current place. Any description or picture tips would be appreciated. Or any at all.

http://myworld.ebay.com/wardroberenovations

Thanks all!

14. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I have used photo-retouching tools to obscure price markings on soles before. I blur them enough that you can't tell what the price says, but not so much that you can't tell there are marks on the soles. I figure most people won't care about a mark on the sole unless it isn't there in the pictures and they think the soles are clean.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Terrific photos. I'm sure the new lighting set up will be time and money well spent.