• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It took me months to sell the only — the only! — recent, cool-looking Belvest sport coat on eBay. ~$250. Retail on the web site is like $1200-$1400.

In other news, a Grailed item is “held by customs” in London. I really hope it’s not because the dude’s balking at paying the duties. Anyone have experience with this on Grailed? It’s says, “Your order has an exception” as the header under tracking.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Just a reminder if you pay your taxes quarterly...today is January 15th. Grrr
Thanks man. Been ignoring the reminder in my phone for weeks now, but this made me go handle it now. Always sucks, but sucks much less than a huge tax bill at the end of the year.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks man. Been ignoring the reminder in my phone for weeks now, but this made me go handle it now. Always sucks, but sucks much less than a huge tax bill at the end of the year.

Tryna make a dent today. Hate to hear what the remainder will be.
GFgONnNyRQSt7GJ%sa5RlA.jpg

tgaith77

Reaction score
I could use some eBay advice. I’ve been trying to sell a Borrelli overcoat that I spent $1200 for in November and the most I could fetch on eBay was a pathetic $113.

Sunk cost fallacy.

One of the first things you should recognize is that what you paid for an item and what an item will sell for on ebay are often two completely disparate numbers. A buyer's decision to purchase is not anchored to how much you paid for an item, they only care how much they will pay.

It definitely sucks paying a lot for an item and then, turning around and selling it for pennies on the dollar. Been there.

haloitsme

Reaction score
I could use some eBay advice. I’ve been trying to sell a Borrelli overcoat that I spent $1200 for in November and the most I could fetch on eBay was a pathetic $113.
There are some items that do well on the bay, and some don't. yours is second.
Borelli quite an "Insider" Brand, not a lot of people looking for that and you put it on auction.
Would it been "Off-White" or Gucci or whatever, different story.
Same goes with ISAIA, Belvest etc. prepare to get low % compared to MSRP.

Best

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depreciation once season passes and the second an item is purchased is very drastic. Resale realistically you are looking at 5-10% or retail unless it’s and extremely desirable brand then you can get considerably more

Flashbang

Reaction score
There are some items that do well on the bay, and some don't. yours is second.
Borelli quite an "Insider" Brand, not a lot of people looking for that and you put it on auction.
Would it been "Off-White" or Gucci or whatever, different story.
Same goes with ISAIA, Belvest etc. prepare to get low % compared to MSRP.

Best

This is true, and the best way, as mentioned, to combat it is to use BINOBO.

I had 3 Borrelli blazers in the same size that I offloaded to the same guy for $200 each. It took a few weeks and he was I think the only watcher, so I figured “alright, this guy knows these blazers are worthwhile, who knows when the next will come along, let’s give him an offer he can’t refuse”. I bought those same blazers for about 1/3 the sale price from auction style listings.

I imagine could’ve got at least more than that per-blazer price for the overcoat, still nowhere near purchase price but a big step up from $113.

Last edited:

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is true, and the best way, as mentioned, to combat it is to use BINOBO.

I had 3 Borrelli blazers in the same size that I offloaded to the same guy for $200 each. It took a few weeks and he was I think the only watcher, so I figured “alright, this guy knows these blazers are worthwhile, who knows when the next will come along, let’s give him an offer he can’t refuse”. I bought those same blazers for about 1/3 the sale price from auction style listings.

I imagine could’ve got at least more than that per-blazer price for the overcoat, still nowhere near purchase price but a big step up from $113.
Unfortunately, for those selling Borrelli, they sell Borelli at Rack Room Shoes and other discount retailers. We know the difference. But, to the average buyer, they don't notice the difference in spelling (and quality).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was wondering, with a lot of these brands that have been around awhile, if it also has to do with the age of most items listed. For instance, current Armani, Belvest, etc. is really nice and modern — but 99% of the eBay stuff is huge and crusty-looking. I know I’ve deleted several brands from saved searches because of this. It’s been nothing but wasted time waiting for something good.

haloitsme

Reaction score
I was wondering, with a lot of these brands that have been around awhile, if it also has to do with the age of most items listed. For instance, current Armani, Belvest, etc. is really nice and modern — but 99% of the eBay stuff is huge and crusty-looking. I know I’ve deleted several brands from saved searches because of this. It’s been nothing but wasted time waiting for something good.
usually older seasons get liquidated and can be purchased at rock bottom pricing.
Newer collection, you don't get realy that much discount on the wholesale price, and its ebay so no-one wants to pay so much for these items, those items are not getting on ebay. They end up at Outlet boutiques or TK-Maxx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads