• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
View attachment 1311570
Hello fellas, wanting suggestions on how to pack this Beatles set, and if you have tips on cleaning them that would be awesome. I'm scared to try to start taking it apart on the chance that,"oops guess that wasnt supposed to come off" happens.
I'd that was my item, I wouldn't touch it. First, because some collectors of vintage stuff prefer to receive items "as-is". Reconditioning can be considered a travesty by some. Plus, you never know how the surface will react to whatever method you choose. Too risky for my temperament (speaking from experience screwing things up). I usually just say something like: "I am providing this item as-is, so you can choose how you want to preserve it. Item will be shipped in a close-fitting box with air-pillow packaging to minimize movement and provide transport protection". That kind of thing. Put the onus on the buyer.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
While we wait for Spoo to retell that story (and I won't feel diminished, I'll just feel in good company) it is also time for me to upgrade my lighting set up. Ok, technically it is time for me to get a lighting set up, at least one that doesn't involve me checking weather.com in order to decide whether I'll race home in the morning to take pictures. I am very open to correction on absolutely any assumption I've made, so don't be bashful.
5500K seems to be generally accepted as the "right" temp for lights.
Shoot through umbrellas seems like a good set up at least to start, and probably for a good long while.
33" for those umbrellas seems, for reasons I haven't uncovered, to be pretty standard. Is that right? Is that good?
LED vs CFL? Leaving aside the fact that I'd probably ruin the planet if I went for CFL, is LED actually better? Is CFL better and the environmental goons just don't want me to know that?

Anyway, all those assumptions have led me to the tentative conclusion that I should get this:

CFL version (I think) is:

I'd welcome comments, critiques, and/or suggestions. This is roughly the price range I'm willing to work within though. $50 is perfectly reasonable for what I'm currently selling, $150 per light just isn't.
You'll hear a lot of different opinions about this. depending on how much of a "photographer" someone is, but I move house a lot, and therefore prioritize portability. Plus, I live in the desert, so I don't want "hot" lighting. Finally, I'm also a "point and shoot" guy with a good quality compact (Canon PowerShot S120), with all manual settings, matched to my lighting. For the past few years, I've been using these HF LED shop light units: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-led-hanging-shop-light-64410.html

They're super light, super compact, run cool and provide masses of light at a favorable color temperature. During the frequent HF sales, they're $20 apiece. I hang one above the mannequin, and two vertically (on thrifted IV poles) at slightly different distances away from the front of the mannequin, and at a bit narrower than 45 degrees. I move them around so the shadow each creates falls right behind the mannequin. I have one more installed above the table where I take the flat pix. Works great, costs less than $100, and the whole setup packs into a U-Haul lamp box. The light is quite hard, but easily softened with lighting diffusers. LEDs are now so cheap, reliable and cool that it makes no sense to spend money on CFLs. They never put out enough light, in my experience, though I tried many sets. Gave up on 'em pretty quickly. LEDs rock!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we wait for Spoo to retell that story (and I won't feel diminished, I'll just feel in good company) it is also time for me to upgrade my lighting set up. Ok, technically it is time for me to get a lighting set up, at least one that doesn't involve me checking weather.com in order to decide whether I'll race home in the morning to take pictures. I am very open to correction on absolutely any assumption I've made, so don't be bashful.
5500K seems to be generally accepted as the "right" temp for lights.
Shoot through umbrellas seems like a good set up at least to start, and probably for a good long while.
33" for those umbrellas seems, for reasons I haven't uncovered, to be pretty standard. Is that right? Is that good?
LED vs CFL? Leaving aside the fact that I'd probably ruin the planet if I went for CFL, is LED actually better? Is CFL better and the environmental goons just don't want me to know that?

Anyway, all those assumptions have led me to the tentative conclusion that I should get this:

CFL version (I think) is:

I'd welcome comments, critiques, and/or suggestions. This is roughly the price range I'm willing to work within though. $50 is perfectly reasonable for what I'm currently selling, $150 per light just isn't.
My son was a digital camera operator in the film industry, and he taught me a little trick that made an immediate difference to my flash photography. When shooting with direct flash, all you do is place an angled white card in front of the flash unit; it bounces the light up to the ceiling, softening the light and reducing shadow.

Without card
IMG_6917.JPG

With card
IMG_6918.JPG

Quick and cheap as chips.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
I'll let you be the judge of whether to add this dude to your block lists.

View attachment 1311524

View attachment 1311525

To be fair, I've had goofs like that too (and have attempted to e-thrift people who seem to know what they're selling but had ridiculously low prices, then had the order cancelled with a similar message). If he's got a mannequin and everything, I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I've had goofs like that too (and have attempted to e-thrift people who seem to know what they're selling but had ridiculously low prices, then had the order cancelled with a similar message). If he's got a mannequin and everything, I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake.

I’d have been okay with him if he hadn’t just canceled the transaction and sent a message that was along the lines of ‘I canceled the order, tough luck.’

He could’ve reached out and said, ‘Hey, I mislisted this, would you be willing to go higher on the price?’ Attitude from the seller goes a long way in turning a buying experience negative or positive.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
I’d have been okay with him if he hadn’t just canceled the transaction and sent a message that was along the lines of ‘I canceled the order, tough luck.’

He could’ve reached out and said, ‘Hey, I mislisted this, would you be willing to go higher on the price?’ Attitude from the seller goes a long way in turning a buying experience negative or positive.

That's completely fair. Being humane goes a long way in business, arguably more-so than just about any other trait.

mrFurly

Reaction score
Anyone use a label printer that can also print USPS International/UPS/Fedex labels?

Looking for a decent option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics