Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

You are obligated to accept the return if you have those settings turned on. And from my understanding, if you have return settings on, you have to accept returns for all matters.
    If you dont have return settings on, you can then justify returns for an error on your end.

If I recall correctly, if you do not advertise returns, and someone wants to return something based on fit issues not for the original buyer(his father), that is against policy. But again, I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

2. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

No i dont think so - you need to sell 25 things I think to get this restriction.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The funds will be released once the buyer leaves positive feedback. That's the only way to speed the process.

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'm not sure about the US, but I've been happy with German ebay customer service. I'd say you'd have to wait it out, since it's your first sale. Ring them up and ask about it. If you really need the money, ask to speak to a higher-up. If you can wait, your restrictions will be lifted within a month. I've gotten my limits upped to a tolerable level after demonstrating responsibility and calling them every month.

6. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

If I want to send an item to Peru, what is the best option?? The buyer has ~400 positive feedbacks for this sort of item, but I want to protect myself as well.

7. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Thanks, Snoogz. Guess I'll get the return going. Will have to rewrite my policy so as to not ruffle Ebay's feathers.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Your welcome, I also hope others with eBay experience can chime in for u as well. Many others have experienced situations that have to do with returns being accepted.

9. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I have a guy claim damage in an area where you can clearly see in the listing there is none. I'm going to wait until I get it back then give it a look over. If there's something I missed, then ok, otherwise...well I'm not sure what I'll do. Not happy to pay return shipping on the item. Frankly, it's been a dog and has taken several months to sell, so not happy to even have it back in my inventory.

Brian, re photos- I'm on vacation, so only working from slow ass laptop so it would be hard to demonstrate. The color correction alone (Nikon D3100) has made a huge difference, I think the only thing lacking on my part is overhead lighting to make it complete, will also help with photographing pants which I do flat on the table my half mannequin sits on.
    Everything I read says to shoot RAW, but I think that should only apply to situations where the lighting is always changing, different subjects, speed, etc, I wish I could find some really good advice regarding our specific situation. Maybe a portrait studio type forum.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Why? By ebay policy, the buyer pays return shipping....not the seller. It is your option if you find an error on your part and decide to pick up the return shipping cost. In the event of a case found in the buyers favor, the buyer still has to pay the return shipping.

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Not if the item is not as described. The returner in this case is claiming damage that I didn't point out.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I stand corrected.

Here's what we found for "Who pays for return shipping of an item?" [ Previous ]
    In most cases, the buyer pays shipping when returning an item to a seller. There are few exceptions. Sellers pay return shipping if an item doesn't match the listing description. Buyers usually pay return shipping if they change their mind about wanting an item and it's covered by the seller's return policy.

That must have been a more recent change. I had a case in October where the buyer claimed not as described (some may remember the "Vintage equals New" case). He had to pay the return shipping by ebay's direction.

13. kelcomma

kelcomma New Member

I see the same thing happened, but from a buyer's prospective. Less competition has been nice.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Those sneakers with (undisclosed) cracked soles I bought a while back, seller paid return shipping. I opened the SNAD, seller responds saying for me to send them back, I escalate the case, and ebay sides with me giving me the label. Obviously seller was trying to take them back as a standard return to stick me with shipping costs, but you just have to win the SNAD case it appears.