• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others can chime in but I found a decent one on eBay for around $100. Type in “soft box lighting kit”. Mine had three lights two vertical and one overhead. I’d recommend getting one with four lightbulb heads over just one. Generally worked pretty well for me although I would so some editing in Lightroom as well.

Thanks. I'm a bit wary of Lightroom editing these days. I had a NAD return enforced against me because the photo looked different to the product. The guy expected purple from the photos and got mauve. He claimed I'd manipulated the photos and got a return even though I said it was mauve three times in the ad. So I am not going to do any colour or lighting manipulations from now on, since it's added effort that increases risk of returns. I do need to be able to take photos that show the product in a better light still.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm a bit wary of Lightroom editing these days. I had a NAD return enforced against me because the photo looked different to the product. The guy expected purple from the photos and got mauve. He claimed I'd manipulated the photos and got a return even though I said it was mauve three times in the ad. So I am not going to do any colour or lighting manipulations from now on, since it's added effort that increases risk of returns. I do need to be able to take photos that show the product in a better light still.

That’s not a valid reason for return; you fought it, right?

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
Follow-up. Bad buyer central. This guy is intent on being a royal pain.

Screenshot_20191124-094709.png

This is a $37 pair of Nike golf shoes.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Misleading pictures is supposedly part of NAD. I argued that the ad clearly said ‘mauve” and lost. There is no accounting for eBay’s consistent bias against sellers.
Hmm, Color is not typically an acceptable NAD, how can you know the buyer is using the same monitor/device settings. What time of day did he order? My devices filter blue light after certain hours, changing the colors slightly. Might be worth another call, if you've received a "cases closed without seller resolution" defect you may be able to get it removed.

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
Hmm, Color is not typically an acceptable NAD, how can you know the buyer is using the same monitor/device settings. What time of day did he order? My devices filter blue light after certain hours, changing the colors slightly. Might be worth another call, if you've received a "cases closed without seller resolution" defect you may be able to get it removed.

It is definitely not acceptable, although color calibration cuts down on these. Easily removed defect you're right.

haloitsme

Reaction score
I worked for a professional photo studio, they used EIZO Monitors with 100% Adobe RGB, not sRGB like other monitors. Color shifts happen, what's the white balance set to, Adobe or Srgb? when the studio printed the pics it looked like the real thing. When I review on a mac or "cheaper" monitor color shitfs occur. Usually the "edge" colors -> Blue/Red/Green -> change a bit -> and ebay compreses it also. -> that's also the reason why you should use flashlights not the "studio-monitor-Set"

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That feeling when you sell a promoted big price item and then see they paid through the standard listing and not the promoted one!
It actually happens quite a lot.

I put a few stale listings on Promoted and saw zero results. I see it as just another way to give ebay some extra money.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked for a professional photo studio, they used EIZO Monitors with 100% Adobe RGB, not sRGB like other monitors. Color shifts happen, what's the white balance set to, Adobe or Srgb? when the studio printed the pics it looked like the real thing. When I review on a mac or "cheaper" monitor color shitfs occur. Usually the "edge" colors -> Blue/Red/Green -> change a bit -> and ebay compreses it also. -> that's also the reason why you should use flashlights not the "studio-monitor-Set"

I worked in a professional photo lab BITD. My boss was too cheap for the top of the line setup, but we calibrated monitors are least once a month. We had some of the pickiest and most knowledgeable clients, so we had to do it right. I credit that experience as part of the reason I haven’t had a color complaint in years. **knocks on wood

eddiegreen

Reaction score
I put a few stale listings on Promoted and saw zero results. I see it as just another way to give ebay some extra money.
I only promote certain items if the brand name has a lot of results, basically to keep my BIN items on the front page, I promote it after a week or two to put it back on top of the best match results.
I’d say about 75% of them have sold through the standard listing anyway which I think might be because you sometimes get both listings on the front page.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning,
Just for your info, if you sell via promoted listing and have a non-paying buyer, eBay will not automatically refund your promoted listing fees. You will have to call eBay for a refund and then it's still on case by case basis. This happened to me and I, was able to get refund fro promoted listing fee, but only after calling eBay

eddiegreen

Reaction score
Good morning,
Just for your info, if you sell via promoted listing and have a non-paying buyer, eBay will not automatically refund your promoted listing fees. You will have to call eBay for a refund and then it's still on case by case basis. This happened to me and I, was able to get refund fro promoted listing fee, but only after calling eBay
Good to know, what a pain **********.
All my listings, regardless of promotion are ‘immediate payment required’ and I never send or accept offers, only agree to revise the listing price for buyers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads