1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So....is it just a Garage sale thing or ebay in general? I'm preparing to roll out "Cover the World with Tweed 2013" tonight. Don't want any snags.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

ebay in general. its their server, no matter how you list, they cant grab most of the gallery shots.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE

1 person likes this.
  4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You cant talk like that, kid. You'll shoot your eye out.

1 person likes this.
  5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG] was gonna put a gif up of that scene, but got sidetracked.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

--- In GarageSale_Users@yahoogroups.com,
    >
    > It is an Ebay error not Garagesale,
    > The pictures do not show up if you list directly on the site.
    > Regards
    > ________________________________

> To: GarageSale_Users@yahoogroups.com
    > Sent: Sunday, 22 September 2013, 21:46
    > Subject: [GarageSale_Users] Complete auction images not appearing... no error given at time of uploading.
    >
    >
    > Title pretty much says it all. I'm starting to have to go back and hand check every one of my auctions to see that the images are all actually there. This is a time KILLER. Occasionally I'll get lucky and see that the image servers were not available due to network error, but lots of times I get no error which is a real problem.
    >
    > Version 6.6.5 (525)
    >
    > Not seeing anything in system logs regarding eBay image servers like I used to.

7. Connorh

Connorh Active Member

Can someone give me some advice if possible. I've been selling on ebay since June 16, 2009 but only recently have I really gotten into it. I have been thrifting quite a bit, and so far so good. Until now (see below). I only have 81 feedback although all are 100%. Can anyone give me any tips for getting this lifted? I really don't have a bunch of other stuff I want to sell, and now I'm stuck with a bunch of clothes!

"You can't complete this listing right now. See below for details.

Buyers have high expectations when purchasing brand name items on the site. To make sure sellers are able to meet these expectations, limits are sometimes placed on sellers' accounts.
    You've reached your limit for the type of item you're trying to list, and you won't be able list any more of these for 30 days. However, you may still list other types of items. These restrictions apply to all sellers, so please don't feel that we're singling you out.
    These restrictions will remain on your account until you’ve received 25 positive selling feedback and completed 90 days as an active seller in good standing."

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Buyers have high expectations when purchasing brand name items on the site. To make sure sellers are able to meet these expectations, limits are sometimes placed on sellers' accounts.
    You've reached your limit for the type of item you're trying to list, and you won't be able list any more of these for 30 days. However, you may still list other types of items. These restrictions apply to all sellers, so please don't feel that we're singling you out.
    These restrictions will remain on your account until you’ve received 25 positive selling feedback and completed 90 days as an active seller in good standing."

It's something everyone has to go through with listing certain name brands. You can try to call ebay and get the restriction lessened a bit. It will go away over time.

9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I was there not too long ago. My restriction was lifted only very recently. I waited it out. Get every listing ready, put them in drafts, and when your limit is lifted get those posts up. I never tried calling or such, though. I think the 25 positive feedback has to be within the year.

I thinks it's eBays way of trying to make sure they don't get stiffed as well.

10. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I was having issues listing earlier today as well. It looks like all of my main pictures are showing up in my store except for one BB SC that shows up as doily!!!!
    [​IMG]

11. Connorh

Connorh Active Member

Sounds good. Another member recommended I sell other items, and list some of them in slightly different categories which I will also do. Thanks guys!

12. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

You can try calling eBay to get the limits relaxed to list more. Call the main number, then ask to be transferred to Trust and Safety. Explain to them what you're doing, and ask if they can relax the limits so you can list more. If you've had the account for a long time and have good feedback, I think there's a decent chance they'll help you now.

Eventually, the limits will get removed. Once they can see you've sold for awhile and haven't gotten complaints from buyers that you're selling fakes, the limits go away.

Good luck.

13. DanM

DanM Senior member

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Just had a nice thing happen to me

A seller lists an item I've been looking for for a while,with a pretty low opening bid, but no BIN. I was going to be travelling when the item ended so asked if he had a price in mind.

He says "no, but make me an offer and maybe we can make a deal."

I make an offer in the lower end of a reasonable range, and he says "eh, I'd be happy to sell it for that but I have a ton of watchers right now so think I'll just let it ride out, but thank you."

Fair enough, I've said the same, so I plop down my max bid, and forget about it for the rest of the week. Land back in the States, get off the plane and turn on my phone and get an email I've won the auction - look and the price paid was $40 less than my offer

Most days you're the statue, but some days, you're the pigeon! :slayer:

16. DanM

DanM Senior member

My goal for next year's fall sales is "Cover the Continent in Cashmere" (yes, it's early to start planning, but I wanted to trademark it before you snagged it)

17. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Some of you may recall the shirt haul I had earlier in the year. I was thinking that maybe, to get them moving/cleared them out quickly, I'd assemble auctions BIN sales of 3 shirt packages(most of the shirts are the same size, I'd measure/group them accordingly) for like $125. Seem like a decent strategy? Anyone had success with something similar?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  18. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Good Lord man you have been sitting on those since March? My wife has banned me from thrifting until I list everything I have. Just put up my first 50 auctions tonight and have about 200 more listings/photos to do.

I like that strategy though, when I first got a job requiring me to dress like an adult I went on eBay and bought a Lot of 8 BB shirts. Give it a go but post them on SF as well, I know many of us would be interested.

19. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

You print the shipping cost on the label? Oh no.

2 people like this.
  20. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

So after being harassed mercilessly by the wife to start listing the things I can't consign, I posted 50 listings today. If you look at my page here, it only shows 48. The two that are missing is a Tiffiany & Co. Tie and a Gucci eyeglass case. Both listings are live, they just don't show up when my items are shown. I am assuming it is because I am a relatively new seller with low feedback and they are highly counterfeited brands. I just thought it was odd, I had tried to list that Chanel tie Brian recently sold for me 3 months ago and they refused it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013