Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'm leaning that way as well - don't think the seller would really mind, seeing the negatives they already have with no follow-up. Matter of fact, gonna do it right now!

2. aglose

aglose Senior member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I will see how high they go once the end comes near...

3. chiron

chiron Senior member

How do you price your items?

( I tend to look at the top 25 sold and base it on the avg. )

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Ideally on binobo items, yes. But when short on time, and particularly on auctions, I simply start at my cost (purchase plus tax plus gas plus ship plus fees) plus some reasonable additional amount, which hopefully adds up to a reasonable starting price for an item like mine. Or if I'm considering keeping, I price at whatever price I simply couldn't refuse.

5. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Unless I'm selling something really unique, I'll start the opening bid at 2x my cost--which I figure is a standard retail mark-up. I don't charge for shipping, so I build in a reasonable amount for that. Unless you're doing this for a living there's no need to squeeze every penny out of a sale. Get the volume going, build up feedback, and then you'll have the visibility to try for higher prices.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

BIN OBO - Try to find the narrowest pool of data representing what I have and usually aim for the the top 10% of cost of items that have sold at realistic prices. I narrow it down when possible to size, style, color and length.

Side note, the Global Shipping Program guy paid...I'm surprised, shall see how well this works.

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Is anyone doing 10 day auctions with low starting prices now? I was doing this in the winter but when spring came around the ending prices got too low. I am still tempted to do a few if only to drive traffic to my BIN listings.

8. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I was stung by the GSP once before saying never again. I will not even look at ads with GSP charges, and I wonder if sellers realize how much buyers are being ripped off. The one time was a Truzzi shirt with a 16" neck--which never come up for sale anywhere. The GSP rate was $80 for a $140 shirt. For months a forum-member was selling a Borrelli suit that had $450 of GSP charges (to Canada) on a $700-ish suit. From New York state to Toronto!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Are u sure about those prices? 450$ for shipping? I don't beleive that statement, because it sounds so flawed.

10. Brianpore

11. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

I just found some suits that have a slight wooly odor, probably from sitting around in a closet or something, is there any trick to getting out the odor because I want to sell it on e-bay. Secondly, if I cant get it out, I already tried having it dry cleaned, what should I write in the item description, should I mention the slight wooly odor or is this expected by a buyer of pre-owned clothes?

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I little more on this feature. Not sure if this was already mentioned, but I just noticed that you only see the number of watchers on items with a BIN price. Including Auctions with BIN option, Fixed BIN and BIN/OBO. Straight auctions do not have them, neither do Auctions w/BIN options that have already "disappeared."

I think this is actually good all around, and well thought out on the part of eBay. An auction not showing the number of watchers will not scare any potential bidders off, and may generate more bids. A BIN listing with visible watchers will add pressure to a buyer, knowing that several people are considering purchasing at the set price.

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Would you guys pick up a new CK collection suit by vestimenta for $235 (discount store)?

I will eventually flip it but will wear it since it's a shade of grey that I don't have at the moment.

1. it fits me well but the shoulders are a little more padded than I'm used to. Padded shoulders making a comeback?
    2. I want to eventually flip it on the bay but the sold prices for used vestimenta suits are all over the place. Also, not a lot of listings of vestimentas on the bay. So, hard to gauge what it will go for.

Again, I'll wear it until "something better comes along." Any one have any experience in flipping vestimenta suits? Would like to get as close to 235 as possible. That way, I'll wear it for "free"!

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

^^ Does it fit you? Do you like it? Will you wear it? Can you afford it (sans resale)? If you answered yes to all these, then go for it. If not, I'd be wary.

Does anyone else have a ridiculously hard time finding the automatic relisting page? The radio button that I used to see and that all the Ebal literature is pointing me to just isn't there. So instead I have to actually modify or relist the listing, and then, at the "Congratulations!" page, click the "Set automation rules" link under the listing picture. Is there some setting I have to enable to see the radio button? Assuming no, and it's just Ebay messing with the radio buttons again, I'd like to say:

STOP EFFING WITH MY EFFING RADIO BUTTONS!! GET A COUPLE OF COMPETENT WEB DEVELOPERS, FOR CHRISSAKES!

15. Brianpore

Seems like a lot IMO for a CK suit

Depending on your size, talk with Steve Smith. He is the go to Brooks Brothers guy and most of the suits are around $300 NWT. A hell of a lot nicer then CK collection, better resalve value.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/347315/...rald-milano-madison-regent-black-fleece/0_100

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013