1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Not always - in fact, not usually. I like to mix it up - hold unsold items for a few weeks before resliting, or take advantage of whatever specials might be running for 10-day auctions (which I start on a Thursday night), 30-day BINs (which I list whenever), etc.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Maybe they have a script/program that crawls ebay for the data even if it's not publicly visible through search results? I doubt ebay would invest much into security of your scheduled listings.

3. TheNeedMachine

That's sort of what I was thinking - either that or they had access to my account (hence changed passwords). I Googled it but of course all the results came from ebay, and I could not filter my results with -ebay else I'd never find anything :) .
    The person sells bedding and doesn't do a lot of buying, so I sort of doubt they have a backdoor into scheduled listings, but maybe there's a web app for it.

Thanks!

4. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Use -site:eBay.com to filter out results originating there but still containing whatever keywords you want.

5. TheNeedMachine

Good tip - thanks! Did not find anything via Google in the first 10 pages of search results...on top of that, this person claims to have sent me $ directly through Paypal about 30 minutes ago but nothing is showing up (it typically would show up in a minute or two). Think they may just be messing with me now.

6. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I had a lady purchase something, leave neutral feedback, and said that she had issues with the item (dirty, wrong color, etc).

My wife said that she could return the item for a full refund but she refused and said she still wanted it (??????). My wife offered a small refund out of goodwill and apologized. The lady obviously was looking for this and said she wanted a bigger refund and she would change the feedback to positive.

I know that negative feedback extortion is not allowed so we called eBay. Apparently on neutral feedback, since it is not "damaging," it is allowed.

A new way for scum bags to hustle sellers. Just wanted to let you guys know.

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

That is bullshit on ebay's part.

1. Neutral feedback is damaging.
    2. That is feedback extortion.

8. TheNeedMachine

Still might be able to get it removed, depending on how eBay interprets your communications with them. If you click Customer Support at the top of the page, then search for "Can I change or remove feedback?", then find the item in question, then select "Feedback I received", then click "continue for additional options", then select "demanded goods or services to get something that isn’t part of this transaction, or has sent inappropriate email"...
    Not sure if it would fall into that category, but sounds like if a reasonable eBay rep read your communications they would see what's going on, but I know they are not allowed to make judgement calls and can only go by the facts. Or maybe the option for "purchased my item with malicious intent", being they purposefully purchased it with the intent of leaving neutral feedback and demanding partial refund in return for positive feedback.

Unless, of course, you really did misrepresent the item (accidentally or otherwise) as clean and some other color...in which case I can see leaving neutral and wanting to keep it - i.e. I bought a clean orange sweater but it arrived as a dirty red sweater, and I knew I could clean it and I look good in red = neutral. Partial refund for me having to have it cleaned and not being the color I really wanted would change my mood to positive.

9. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I just gave her the money. She demanded it first before removing the feedback... The eBay rep said if she didn't leave neg feedback there's nothing they can do.

The item was described perfectly and didn't smell. It's just one of those bad buyers that come around every once in a while. Previous sellers had complained in the positive feedback that she's a bad buyer.

Also all this was after I took a lowball offer from her.

You win some you lose some!

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

^^ Did you add her to the blacklist?

Speaking of the blacklist, can someone send me a current copy?

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

Anyone else having Garagesale problems? I just uploaded a bunch of auctions, and none of them have a preview picture when looking at my store or searching listings. In the detailed auction view, everything seems okay. Not sure what's going on, is it just me or really happening? store

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Not just your browser I don't see main pictures for your listings posted after 13:03

13. DanM

DanM Senior member

craaaaaaap. It's not just on new listings, but everything that is automatically relisting from last week as well. On hold with ebay customer service now, I have no idea how this is gonna get fixed.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  14. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Would someone kindly explain how to offer a Discount (ie 10%, 15%) on the listing?
    The Icon that pops up over the main image in the listing.

Thanks

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You need a store to put items on "sale"

16. DanM

DanM Senior member

Quick update - just got off the phone with ebay customer service. Sort of good news: it isn't just my account, there are quite a few people having this problem. Apparently something got borked in the ebay servers around 1PM PDT. So if you are posting listings and your preview images aren't work, it's not just you.

Bad news: may take them 24 hours to get resolved. [​IMG]

Which pisses me the heck off considering I stayed up quite a while last night working on auctions and am not feeling too great today as a result.

edit: wow, that is pretty widespread. I just did a search for Polo Ralph Lauren and looked at the most recently listed and I bet ebay is getting a lot of angry calls right now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  17. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

I have had trouble uploading my pictures for the last few hours. Some will load, some won't sometimes. Glad it's at least not something with my computer..

18. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Thanks

19. suited

suited Senior member

Lol, yeah, as if the laws of physics prevent them from doing anything. What a complete bullshit response from eBay.

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This happened to me once and was an absolute nightmare. They were unable to resolve the server and had to cancel all the auctions that did not have gallery pics in them. Messed up so much that week, was a real pain in the ass. I had products listed tied to piggyback other ones and some got canned.