• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bensm1th

Reaction score
I haven't sold anything in the last three days, while selling something everyday for like two weeks straight before that.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you see the image I posted from eBay? It sounds like they may still be in the midst of moving the data over to the new format. Not positive by any means, but it's a glimmer of hope.
Yeah. I think they’re sorting it out. Search by size is working on shoes (as far as I can tell). So it seems that at least some of the data has been ported to the new fields.

SteelGuy

Reaction score
Did you see the image I posted from eBay? It sounds like they may still be in the midst of moving the data over to the new format. Not positive by any means, but it's a glimmer of hope.

I saw, but I don't trust that they'll do it in either a timely or accurate manner. There are also lots of worthwhile new Item Specifics that need accurate data.

Also, I'm concerned that anything that is scheduled to relist on GTC might get dropped because a newly minted 'required' field is empty or a current field has too many characters.

Realistically, they never fixed the eBay app which shows that I have more items to ship than i really do -- on the main page. So I don't like to rely on them.

SteelGuy

Reaction score
Yeah. I think they’re sorting it out. Search by size is working on shoes (as far as I can tell). So it seems that at least some of the data has been ported to the new fields.

In the shoes I did a quick test ... there are about 30% of the listings missing when the new "Size" is selected (we used to uses "US Shoe Size (Men's)") versus putting the size in the title search. [ And those listings I could identify were those that didn't have the new required item specific.

I see that some of my items show up in search by size, even with the old title ... but I'm not willing to risk how that works or how long.

GumbyFan

Reaction score
In the shoes I did a quick test ... there are about 30% of the listings missing when the new "Size" is selected (we used to uses "US Shoe Size (Men's)") versus putting the size in the title search. [ And those listings I could identify were those that didn't have the new required item specific.

I see that some of my items show up in search by size, even with the old title ... but I'm not willing to risk how that works or how long.
When I search shoes by size on the app, it returns a whole range of sizes, not just the one I searched for.

They have some work to do.

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Camisoles? Tunics?

wtfbay.png

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when management starts talking about data. What does data is telling us? We need to trust data. We need to make data-driven decisions etc.
eBay management should just read this thread.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got the correct results when I searched by length. I did not specify a width. Doing so could be an issue because they expanded the range. I.E. you can now specify E and EE, whereas before they were lumped together. They wouldn’t be able to auto populate those fields with ported data, because the original data was too vague for the new fields.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know sales on eBay go up and down, but did any of you see something like this recently? I do GTC listings and have not uploaded any new items in a few weeks, but I still have 280+ items going. I asked an eBay rep and she told me my account hadn't been demoted or penalised in any way.

View attachment 1254535

What I have consistently observed is that sales trend downward quickly when I am not adding new listings. I have been traveling for 3 weeks, so no new listings. Last week I had a $0 day and a $1000+ day. Zeros never happen if I list even a few items per week.

RFHansen

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that, Steve. This must have happened because I was busy with my other job and did not add new items for a couple of weeks.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fwiw (and i was never big time) i'm basically off of the bay completely unless i have something recent that i can kneecap the market with... otherwise i'm taking a completely different approach these days. i do like the 'right' auction items but even that relies on saved searches and a super strong category, basically just riding competitive demand.

but for actual 'selling' i'd rather contribute to a more robust marketplace instead of throwing my effort at an indifferent platform

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads