Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Let's have a problem from the buying side, I won a RL Polo made in Italy Linen jacket on 7/11/13. As of now I have heard nothing from the seller. I paid within 10 minutes of the auction close and it said estimated delivery date of July 15th. What should I do in that event?

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I would shoot them an email asking them if they have a tracking number for your package.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Does the item have a tracking # already added to eBay? (My eBay -> Purchase History) If not ...:

If it were me, I would ask them - thru eBay - for the tracking number (as opposed to asking them IF they have a tracking #), and on what date they shipped it. Should have been shipped by now with a tracking #.

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

No tracking number, I sent them this just through general questions:

Quote: I will actually be in NJ wreaking havoc on Brianpore's thrifts the next two days and if it is coming in I like my wife, or neighbor if she is away to take it off my porch.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] Shoot me a PM if you are actually close to 07921

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I use it. Very easy. Usually have to tell people that contact me to use it (not that there has been a lot) so it hasn't been abused yet.
    Yeah, fast just applies to handling time, not expedited shipping. I'll never do the fast and free. I think the psychology of having a price for the item and building a buck or two of profit into the shipping helps people make a decision to bid, the price just seems lower. It's why 95% of pricing is $X.99, pricing psychology.

7. Brianpore

8. Brianpore

IMPORTANT

If you had opted into the global shipping program before, but do not use it. Go check a few of your listings. I just found out ALL of my listings had been "upgraded" to use the Global Shipping Program which I do not want to use. I have since opted out and was told it will remove it from all 300+ listings I have currently, but just a warning.

I am not sure if I "accepted" something by accident but it went back and changed ALL my old listings that I know for a fact did now use the 'GSP'. They also do not use that term any more instead there is a new box that says "Send it to the US shipping center, and the rest will be taken care of for you." aka the Global Shipping Program

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

I had that issue with a few listings since a buyer bought an item with gsp and I never selected box, might have defaulted when I listed an item from my phone?

10. Brianpore

I never use my phone AND I have listings that I know 100% for a fact it was not selected.

11. aglose

aglose Senior member

So I'm contemplating spending a sum of money on some ebay item but the lister has not messaged me back on any of my questions about condition. What if I bid on it and win then I find condition issues upon delivery? Would ebay side with me?

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If the item is not as described, yes. What is the nature of your question? Generally in these situations, it's better not to bid at all.

13. aglose

aglose Senior member

It's a pair of shell cordovan boots that I've been lusting after, but I can't tell through the pictures if there are any issues and there don't appear to be any in the description. One picture especially concerns me. I've messaged the guy three times. The auction isn't ending for awhile but I'm keeping my fingers crossed the boots stay in my price range.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Link to listing? If there is damage that is not disclosed in the listing and they are described as being in good shape, that would be grounds for return. It's kind of a gray line though because there is some verbiage in the generic ebay details that used items will show wear. If the seller is non-responsive, it may be better just to move on to the next.

15. aglose

aglose Senior member