Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I receive this message from a past buyer...

Hello--I don't want to keep this coat. If you give me your address I'll send it back to you so you can sell it again. Otherwise I'm going to throw it away.

Any one else ever have anyone with this? I'm almost hesitant about giving him address again lol. Sounds too weird to me.

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Even items under 13 oz?

Anyone use eBay managed returns? Thoughts on whether it rocks/sucks?

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Just eyeballed it on my phone - eBay app and Chrome browser - and neither will display the video at all, so including it would be less useful moving forward as more people are going mobile. Re: .gif, if I use the version of Corporate IE installed on some of our work PC's, they are non-graphical versions and don't display any images...but I don't know how widespread Corporate IE is - might play with gifs and see how that works / looks.

4. TheNeedMachine

I opted in after someone returned a shirt to me via FedEx overnight and I was forced to pay nearly $25 to reimburse their shipping charges - if I'd had managed returns, eBay would have provided them with a label to print and charged me like $3. Months after I opted in, someone started an automatic return on a bag, claiming it was not as described / defective and counterfeit (neither of which was accurate) - so the buyer can initiate a return on their side without contacting you and you have no choice but to accept it. The upside was eBay charged me $5.20 for return postage via USPS Priority medium flat-rate, which was less than actual postage would have cost.
    The way I see it, if someone is going to return something, they are going to return it no matter what, even if you have a no return policy - they'll just say it is not as described and make something up. The seller can try to fight it, might win, might not. With managed returns, it takes all the aggravation and back-and-forth out of it and the seller just accepts it and moves on. I have since opted out since it is skewed towards the buyer, making frivolous returns a snap for them. I have no problem with valid returns, but those are few & far between.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

For ebay I ship Priority out of requirement. Anyone else is usually first class.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not a requirement, wrong choice of words. More of an incentive. Ebay frequently offers and extra 10%-15% off fees for top rated plus sellers who offer one day handling with free a expedited shipping option. I just leave mine like that so I don't miss out on the promotions.

When the promo is not going on these listings still are qualified to get the "fast n free" badge, which theoretically increases traffic and sales. Use of the "fast n free" program also ensures a 5 star rating on the shipping time DSR.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I have been looking for months locally on craigslist and haven't found anything. I was looking at Stamps last night and then searching the web and ran across this on Amazon for $59 free shipping. Is this going to be too small for larger jackets, say a 46R or even up to 50R?

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Most mannequins are too small for larger jackets. You can sometimes find mannequins that have a larger bust size that may compensate for larger jackets. Honestly I just try and make due with what I have and pin the larger jackets as best as possible.

I believe the one I own is a 40 chest. I've had 36-38 jackets that won't hardly fit on it, but I'm not about to have 2-3 dif mannequins layin around my house for now.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Any tips with dealing with buyers who say an item is not new because it's not from a store / store has item for slightly cheaper (but of course doesn't have the size I'm selling), thinking of just blocking as they have left negative feedback to other sellers about stuff too

11. TheNeedMachine

I'd just block them, and anyone else who appears to be a pain in the ass, asks a bunch of questions but never bids, etc.

12. TheNeedMachine

Finally set up a mailing station (well, corner) in my home office, using a portable table and shelves that were sitting unused in my garage. I had stuff scattered all over the house and nice to have it all in one place, in the same room as my main computer & printer, though I'll probably tweak it as I use it.

[​IMG]

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Very nice ATL, I like that set up, I was wanting to do something similar, but possibly mount something on the wall.

What do you guys use for measurements? Right Now I am just using a bed with a clean sheet to take some quick measurements, but I really want to get maybe a fold up drafting table to use in the same room I do the rest of my eBay.

14. TheNeedMachine

Gracias.

For measuring, a cloth tape measure and the item laid out on my dining room table which isn't used for anything else. I'll measure a gang of items at the same time, and attach a sticky note to the item's hanger with the measurements and any notes I want to remember (price paid, single vented, made in Italy, working cuffs - whatever) to use both when I list the items well as if/when I sell it (I enter price paid / sold for / shipping etc in a spreadsheet).
    As I measure, I take photos, then haul everything into my office to create the listings. Ideally, I'd do everything in one room, and I have the space for it but it's on a separate level and that would require some additional purchases to be productive and comfortable.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1 most are around a 40 so large jackets dont fit 100%. I've been looking for a larger one, like a 46 or
    48 with not luck for months now.