• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol, That’s harsh, man. I reach out to plenty of sellers.

My two golden questions: What is the p2p, and how did you determine this was NWOT?

(The answer to #2 may surprise you!).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With me: You ask a question, you get put on the blocked list. No reply, no clarification. If you can't figure it out from the listing, I don't want your business.

Sometimes I'll fire off a snarky response before blocking if I'm in the mood, but that's getting more rare, as I feel it probably just goes over their heads.

I hope you have some leeway to not block people who ask reasonable questions or add something. Every once in a while, someone points out a discrepancy in my description, and I'm grateful that they took the time to point it out (as an example, having something listed as an XL when the tags clearly show a Medium).

On the other end, I had someone ask me if I knew what year an item was from that they'd seen listed from another seller. First off, I'm not answering questions about others' listings. Secondly, the ******* answer was in the listing.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I cringed when I saw the feedback from this guy. I think he needs to update who qualifies for hero status...

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...searchInterval=30&items=200&searchInterval=30

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.11.25 PM.png

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you have some leeway to not block people who ask reasonable questions or add something. Every once in a while, someone points out a discrepancy in my description, and I'm grateful that they took the time to point it out (as an example, having something listed as an XL when the tags clearly show a Medium).

On the other end, I had someone ask me if I knew what year an item was from that they'd seen listed from another seller. First off, I'm not answering questions about others' listings. Secondly, the ******* answer was in the listing.
If someone points out a typ0 or something, then of course not. But if they ask things like "can you measure 'x' for me?" or "Is it blue or sorta-blue?" or "I'll give you...," instablocks.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
If someone points out a typ0 or something, then of course not. But if they ask things like "can you measure 'x' for me?" or "Is it blue or sorta-blue?" or "I'll give you...," instablocks.
Man. I don't want to tell you how to conduct business by any means, but that's pretty harsh. Generally, buyers who do ask a ton of questions before are definitely worth avoiding, but I've had a TON of sales over the years that I would have missed out on had I not replied to a buyer's question.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been doing this for about 4 years now and i think I Have maybe, maybe made less than 5 sales from the at least 3000 questions I’ve answered. I stopped answering questions as well unless of course there is some sort of **** up in my listing. Return on time invested is just not there

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you guys answering every possible question in your listings, though? I can’t imagine that asking for measurements would automatically equate to being a flakey buyer. Seems pretty mandatory, unless you’re talking about something like, “Give me a series of waist measurements for every inch towards the hem”.

Sometimes the seller’s a dumbass and you have to ask them something. (One described the length of a vest as “goes down to the belt”).

Buying and selling my favorite types of clothing, it seems there’s always been a question or two on both sides of the street. That’s never seemed to matter, as most people I’ve dealt with are knowledgeable or enthusiastic about that sort of thing. Though I guess I could see that getting old if you’re selling a variety of items and don’t really give a **** about how a Robert Graham shirt might fit from one season to the next.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys answering every possible question in your listings, though? I can’t imagine that asking for measurements would automatically equate to being a flakey buyer. Seems pretty mandatory, unless you’re talking about something like, “Give me a series of waist measurements for every inch towards the hem”.

Sometimes the seller’s a dumbass and you have to ask them something. (One described the length of a vest as “goes down to the belt”).

Buying and selling my favorite types of clothing, it seems there’s always been a question or two on both sides of the street. That’s never seemed to matter, as most people I’ve dealt with are knowledgeable or enthusiastic about that sort of thing. Though I guess I could see that getting old if you’re selling a variety of items and don’t really give a **** about how a Robert Graham shirt might fit from one season to the next.
I alwYs put 4 basic measurements, plus 5-10 pictures, point out flaws. There really isn’t much more a buyer needs. When they start asking a **** ton of specific questions they are 99.99% either going to not buy or try to return

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean, do what works for you. But my experience is basically the same as @kbadgley84 and @txwoodworker.

In the beginning I answered the questions, gave the extra inane measurements, and tried to work out deals. Almost all led to No Sale, and the ones that did had a higher rate of "issues" of one sort or another. It's just not worth my time.

Is blocking harsh? Sure. But read back through this thread and you'll see a healthy percentage of the "BLOCK THIS GUY" alerts have stories that begin with the best of intentions on the part of the seller in the attempt to make a sale. I'd rather just move on and be done with it.

The money I make from thrifting and eBay is all extra, and not a full time gig for me. I'm not relying on it to pay the rent or buy food. My inventory doesn't take up huge amounts of room, and I'm not hitting the thrifts on a daily basis and need to keep things turning over. So if I miss out an a sale here or there, its no skin off my nose.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This conversation is actually pertinent to something I’m doing. I also noticed long ago that those that asked certain types of questions led to few sales and had the feeling that the sales that did result often had a higher rate of issues.

One strategy that is used by the more savvy buyer is to use a question as a prelude to negotiation discussion. They’ll open (often very politely) with a seemingly harmless question. Once they’ve opened dialogue, they get to the real point: price discussion. Whether they had any interest in the answer to their question is unknown, but I think many use it as a lead in rather than simply asking “What’s your lowest price?” Right off the bat.

As a result, I’m keeping a spreadsheet of those asking questions and what later develops (no sale, clean sale, sale w/return for fit, sale w/return for issue, partial refund, etc.). I then add in time spent answering questions, providing additional measurements, et al.

While I still answer most questions that are received, I hope to find out some general statistics with enough data. I would eventually like harder numbers than intuition that could tell me something about a situation.

Example question: what is the measurement of (insert something obscure)?

By answering this question, there is a 10% chance of sale. If there is in fact a sale, 50% of the time it will result in a return/issue.

In that case, it’s likely not in my favor to pull the item, take a new measurement, and reply. However, I’m not a mind reader and don’t know why they need that info, so it may be time better spent figuring out what they actually need. An example would be if someone were disabled and had difficulty dressing, something that I think as a “worthless measurement” may in fact be critical to their use of it.

I’d like the end result to be a wise investment of my time without ignoring needs that are simply unknown to me. Will report my data once I have enough.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With me: You ask a question, you get put on the blocked list. No reply, no clarification. If you can't figure it out from the listing, I don't want your business.

Sometimes I'll fire off a snarky response before blocking if I'm in the mood, but that's getting more rare, as I feel it probably just goes over their heads.

lol. And I thought I was a hardass. I get it, though. Fussy types, information gatherers, some people seem to want to impress by asking what they think are sophisticated questions.

I will answer certain questions, especially for international buyers. But after doing this as my livelihood for the last 8 years I have learned that certain questions never lead to a sale:

1. What are the sole measurements? I counted 20 consecutive times that gave out this information without a sale. Then I stopped.

What is the shoulder measurement? (On shirts) The ******* sleeve measurement, which is in the description, tells you the important thing which is where the cuff will hit your wrist. Unless you are a freakish physical outlier shoulder measurement does not matter. And if you are a freakish physical outlier just have some shirts MTM and call it a day.

Is this item genuine? I have had a few cases over the years of a buyer accusing me of selling counterfeit Brooks Brothers. Are you ******** me??? Counterfeit Brooks Brothers? I can buy BB a hell of a lot cheaper than I would have to pay to get even a ****** counterfeit manufactured. OTOH I have some of a designer brand which is actually counterfeited from China. In those listings I say "100% Genuine" and offer free returns. People still ask. On a deeper level, if a person is suspicious it's best to not have the sale.

Collar length of shirt. Just look at the pictures.

What is the length of the shirt? Zero % buyer.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C’mon, man — you’re on Style Forvm. It’s 2019; people wear their shirts untucked, people are particular about shoulder width. If the shoulder seam hits at the elbow, and someone’s measuring sleeve length from the shoulder seam, that makes a difference.

Length and chest are what I always look for when buying a shirt or jacket.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people are particular about shoulder width. If the shoulder seam hits at the elbow, and someone’s measuring sleeve length from the shoulder seam, that makes a difference.

Shoulder width is proportionate to neck size. Every manufacturer does this competently. Shoulder measurement is a non-issue unless one is a physical outlier.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to find it without success. But, I had a buyer ask me the length of the laces on a pair of Park Avenues. I, being Mr. Helpful, measured them and replied, "33 inches." He asked how they would look with 36 inch laces. I simply replied, "A little longer."
He bought the shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads