• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, have any of you had a buyer file a false inauthentic item claim with eBay? I sold a pair of BNWT sunglasses I’d bought from Mr Porter, and the buyer claims without any documentation that they are counterfeit. What’s the best way to handle this?

div25sec9

Reaction score
Hey, have any of you had a buyer file a false inauthentic item claim with eBay? I sold a pair of BNWT sunglasses I’d bought from Mr Porter, and the buyer claims without any documentation that they are counterfeit. What’s the best way to handle this?

I'm just dealing with one now. According to the multiple ebay reps I've spoken to, we have to take the return. It's bullshit...

Mine is so bizarre; they got the pants and left positive feedback, then changed their mind and opened a "doesn't seem authentic" claim. No response to any communication, asking for more details. Multiple calls in and they say I have to take the return, then call in an appeal the "decision" of ebay on the return to try to get back shipping costs.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the buyer filing the false claim: behnoudamir

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won a case like this recently. I got a supervisor to admit that the burden of proof was on the buyer. He told me to confront the buyer, defend myself and make him prove it. That’s exactly what i did. Only thing tho i dont think eBay really wants to close these cases in sellers favor, they did everything to avoid me, left me on hold, hung up on me, promised 5 cal backs, called wrong phone number 3 times, offered to refund the buyer and send me an eBay coupon, i told them no and I wanted what the supervisor promised, left me on hold until 9:45’at night then came back on and gave in. It’s possible to win but holy fuck was it a pain in the ass

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, good for you and good to know! The buyer provided no proof, and Mr Porter confirmed selling the sunglasses to me etc. Hoping it’ll work out like your case!

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a receipt from Mr. Porter you have a good shot. Upload the receipt to the case. For sure make calls, escalate, and when you get a promising decision, make sure you have the reps name and call reference number.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! When you say escalate what do you mean exactly? I’ve responded to the buyer with the receipt and the reply from Mr Porter, and reported him to eBay. EBay reps keeps telling me I need to send him a return label and accept the return first, which seems to insure I’ll get screwed,

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! When you say escalate what do you mean exactly? I’ve responded to the buyer with the receipt and the reply from Mr Porter, and reported him to eBay. EBay reps keeps telling me I need to send him a return label and accept the return first, which seems to insure I’ll get screwed,
They love telling you that, it’s not true. Request a supervisor.

notdos

Reaction score
and what happens if the buyer sends a pair of Chinese knockoffs back? Don’t know how you guys do it. So glad I stopped selling before the real bs started.

Stewie

Reaction score
So - with the rare pieces you find - do you do 7, 10 day auction - or just do a high $ BIN with best offer - what have you had the best luck with?

Reactions: EZB

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a “Suit Jacket” style type in the item specifics now, if that helps.
It was weird that they didn’t have that category before, but it was listed under separates, and there was no mention (or photos) of pants being included.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was weird that they didn’t have that category before, but it was listed under separates, and there was no mention (or photos) of pants being included.
Yeah, they added it a couple months ago, along with a few other options.

I usually also include "Suit jacket only, no pants are included in this listing" in the condition details and descriptions of my unfortunate orphans. You can never screen out 100% of the morons though.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this actually ended up ok, the guy was traveling, and when he returned from his trip he looked at the evidence I submitted and realized the sunglasses were authentic. He rescinded the complaint, so all is well, no thanks to eBay and their terrible customer service. Anyway I’m removing my block on the buyer and would encourage anyone who blocked him to do the same.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.