1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Anybody else notice that USPS reduced Priority Mail Regional Rate prices not too long ago? Nice to see prices go down a little, for a change.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

1 to 3 days isn't necessarily faster than 2 to 3 days :rolleyes:

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I don't think we blacklist people for low offers, just the non-payers. At least I don't, and if there have been people added to the list for this it would be nice to know. Can you elaborate on these users on their crime?

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I agree with what others have said about the blacklist.

But I do enjoy seeing the names here, its not like this thread moves super fast.
    I update my blacklist more often from this thread than copy & pasting the BL every few months.
    I dunno, maybe I should change my habits...

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

However there is an actual blacklist thread as well. Not that I care either way.

7. suited

suited Senior member

Just an FYI, if anyone accidentally drops an eBay package off without the label, may god be with you. I showed up at my local office (after first attempting to call them countless times over a 3-hour period with no success) and waited in line for 15 minutes only to leave with the incorrect phone number to what they call the "dead letter department." This lady wasn't even close in terms of telling me what I needed to do. After realizing I had the wrong number, I held for another 15 or 20 minutes on the usps 1-800 number, only to be giving another incorrect number. I call back again and finally get a working number. I've been on hold for 1 hour and 8 minutes and counting, and is a local number that only handles consumer affairs for a certain set of zip codes. It will be a miracle if I ever get this package back.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ummm, you realize a Police Swat team and the FBI have already surrounded your house while you have been given the intentional runaround.....right?

1 person likes this.
  9. suited

suited Senior member

Ha, I'm surprised that they didn't just leave it at the post office when they realized it didn't have a label. What sucks is this was a $154 sale :(

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Got an item not received case today and tracking just says notice left.

However in case buyer says:
    "Post office claims to have put notice at UPS store, but they deny and note left. USPS delivered to UPS store, but item was not delivered."

Any idea how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't fully understand what the buyer is trying to say. When was the notice supposedly left? And why would the USPS deliver to the UPS store instead of the residence? And if it is at the UPS store, why doesn't he go get it?

12. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

hey guys, I have a question regarding shipping to Canada. I am shipping a shirt (under 13 oz) but am not sure of the best method to do so. Could someone provide me any advice? I looked at the USPS International Price Calculator for First Class International Envelope and it shows $4.35? I think this is highly unlikely but wanted to ask you guys first. Are there any customs charges or other fees that I may incur and for ebay sales, do you normally have the customer take those charges?

Does it matter to what code you ship? I didn't see any place where I could specify the destination on the calculator.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

First class to Canada now has tracking through the DELCON service, so First class is sufficient to prove in item was shipped and delivered. As far as I know DELCON is only available through the ebay shipping tool.

Customer pays customs charges if there are any. You do not need to collect them or pay them.

The price should be the same rate to all of Canada.

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Called the USPS post office apparently address he gave was a UPS store where they just drop off packages so essentially notice left meant it is at UPS store waiting for customer

And apparently UPS store denied ever receiving the package but post office lady just said it's at the post office so will tell the customer

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This is just me, but in my opinion, it is the customers responsibility to track down his package when this type of thing happens. I always offer suggestions, but have them do the actual legwork.

Strange situation though.

16. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Ouch! You have my sympathy, here's hoping you get that package back.

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If the buyer gave you the wrong address, that's his own problem. You should contact Ebay customer service ASAP.

18. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Sounds like the buyer either has a PO box at the UPS Store or just uses them as a package service. Not unusual for people in apartments/condos who don't have a secure place for boxes to be dropped off and no assistance from a front office or management. Often the shipping address is a street number and a unit number that looks like a typical apartment address, with no mention of a UPS Store. Of course, any miscommunication between the post office and the UPS Store is not the seller's fault or responsibility.

19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That sounds like an incredible hassle. I've called that 800 number and was given a case # and told I would get a call back within 3 days but never have. Like it just goes away once you hang up. Best of luck and don't give up!

20. briancpotter

briancpotter Active Member

Thought I'd chime in with a few buying tips I've gleaned after spending a few months digging around in the guts of ebay.

-You're almost always better off using keywords than using the filters ebay provides for things like size, color etc. If you're looking for a, say, navy Barbour jacket, your best bet is with the keywords "barbour navy", and completely ignoring the color filter on the left.

The main reason for this is ebay, in it's majestic and far-seeing wisdom, has different names for filters depending on the country. For example, the color filter is "Color" in the US but is "Main Colour" in the UK. If you use the built-in color filters, you screen off any good results that are using "Main Colour".

There's a few other filters that work like this ("Size" in the US is "Chest Size" in the UK, US vs UK vs EU shoe sizing, etc.). Also, listers often screw up the size inputs pretty badly (putting jacket size in the "Size" box, for example), but almost always get it right in the title. Using keywords almost always gets you better results.

-You can use parenthesis and commas to do an "or" search.

I mostly use this to try to catch things listed in a foreign size. So if, say, the shoe-fairy gave me a big sack of money to buy some John Lobbs, I might search "Lobb (10.5 US, 10 UK, 9.5 UK)" to catch any only listed in a UK size.

1 person likes this.