Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

ORLY

:)

2. suited

suited Senior member

I printed a label to Tawiwan and it produced 2 pages. The bottom half of each piece of paper is the same, but the two top portions have a few differences. It looks like the page on the right is the one I need, because it has the postage stamp in the top right, where as the page on the left just says "postage paid online." Am I correct in thinking that the page on the right is the one I need?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ 3 copies go in the clear envelope that gets affixed to the box, which the PO will stamp when accepted. The copy that says "senders copy" in the lower right hand corner is yours. you should have them stamp that too, just for your records.

4. suited

suited Senior member

Excellent, thank you.

5. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Spot on, but that's coming from the man who thrifted a Ferrari :slayer:

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

For anyone contemplating buying a muslin fabric backdrop or whatnot: Joann fabrics & crafts has a 50% off coupon in-store and online for a single item; I grabbed a 30 foot length x 10 foot width of bleached white muslin (for backdrops, table covering etc when taking photos) for a paltry $15. Also made a little platform for shoes etc, a la Wes. I should have bought the fabric, left, and gone back for the wood and gotten 50% off again with another coupon, but I'm lazy.
    Prolly gonna spring for a backdrop frame and some clips (unless I can think of a cheap way to make one for myself), well as stain & varnish the little platform.
    Sale / coupons going on through 7/31.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up a motorized revolving turntable store window display at GW. Wasn't sure what I'd do with it, but for $8 I picked it up...then realized I will have a use for it, so it was a good grab (and it's not that hard to embed videos in eBay listings).

7. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

I have been looking for a mannequin and finally found one that I liked. Now to work on a constant lighting setup.

[​IMG]

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I'd recommend a roll of paper backdrop as it has a smoother, more consistent finish than fabric. Plus, dust gets trapped in muslin.

Amazon has photo backdrop rolls in several colors, with white being common and a light gray used in photo matching set up being the other most common.

But it depends on what youre trying to achieve.

For me, Paint is the easiest option.

9. DanM

DanM Senior member

great idea with the wooden turntable, I may have to try that out.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Glad my laziness has become inspiration for you guys. Mine is actually a Lazy Susan which came with our dining room table. I set the shoes on it and spin it with one hand while snapping pics with the other. It takes me about 30-45 seconds to get a set of 12 shoe pics. Plus it provides a consistent look, that has become somewhat of a trademark for me, just like my orange bow tie.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

12. TheNeedMachine

Huh - interesting product they have...I hadn't thought about an animated 360-degree view. Could probably make your own as an animated .gif though don't know if / how it would render across all browsers & platforms.
    I've only embedded video in an eBay listing once before, for a Proenza Schouler bag that I happened to find a NYFW runway video for on YouTube - showing that it was actually on the runway at New York Fashion Week got me top $ for it.
    I'm going to use the motorized rotating platform to show off a vintage 1920's flapper dress that is heavily covered in crystal beads - really sparkles and once I get a female dress form and more lights I think that's the best way to showcase it. May end up using it for other items if it's not a hassle.

13. TheNeedMachine

Thanks for the info - I had thought about the paper backdrop but since I don't yet really have a dedicated space, I know that sooner or later I'll tear / bend / mar / poke a hole in it with all the moving things around that I do. Might go paper if I ever convert an empty room into a dedicated eBay room...but that would require buying more stuff to set it up and I'm not at that point.

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

About $2400 for the smallest turntable + software. If I were a bigger seller, this would be pretty cool, everything is automated, even the post processing, the software has white balance/pic adjustments you can set and make for all your pics. I bet it wouldn't work for people using eBay mobile apps though.