Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I don't think that will get removed.

That's a tough mistake to swallow, sorry to hear about that.

2. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Yea that sucks mate, you did all you could.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's unfortunate! Someone here (I thought it may have been you?) was afraid they'd send out the wrong packages, but it can happen, especially when you're going higher volume. In the future, I would have had the person send the item back to me rather than have them send it to the person directly. It would cost more in shipping, but I would also be annoyed if someone wanted me to be responsible for shipping something to someone else.

4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

it absolutely was me.
    I was trying to get the right product to the right person as fast as possible, but you are right, I should have had them send it back to me, just as a matter of proper procedure, even though I figured a label was a label, and it's just as easy to send it on, as it would be to send it to me. I don't know, with me giving everyone the product and their money back, we'll see.

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I have a problem... I sent someone a package with full tracking (no signature required though). It says on the post office website that it has been delivered. The guy says he never got it. What are my options?

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You should be fine.

EDIT: If he opens an "item not received" case against you, you will likely win and any feedback he may leave will be removed.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

From a $$ standpoint you are OK. From feedback, I had this happen to me and it's the reason for my only Neg. feedback over a year ago (so its gone but still was annoying at the time). guy wanted me to refund him in full and I said too bad, no can do (in a nice way).

I think someone said that ebay is changing the feedback system when this happens, but not sure if/when it is rolled out.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Welcome to ebay. Fight it, but don't worry about it if you get stuck with the negative. I think most people understand that a small percentage of ebay buyers are just dickheads. It is very difficult for a fairly high volume seller to maintain 100% feedback.

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Shouldn't the "Add tracking number" option show that it has been delivered? Then the ball is in their court to prove it wasn't delivered and ebay should side with the seller. That being said, ANYTHING is possible on ebay!

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes. Ebay would (should) side with you in the event the buyer opens a case. However there is always the chance the buyer will bypass the case and just leave feedback.

On the other hand... how long ago was the item marked as delivered? Yesterday? I have seen stuff scanned incorrectly a day or two before the actual delivery. Could be the case that a postal worker hit the wrong button.

11. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Ok, got a case opened. I sold a shirt showing plenty of wear ( a mistake on my part). I believe I described the condition and posted photos of the worn areas accurately:

"Shirt is showing wear on cuff, placket edge and sleeve (please refer to pictures)." Pictures show wear in all of these locations.

Message from buyer: "I got this shirt yesterday. Upon inspection, it's worn out along the front, around the cuffs and the collar" and is requesting full refund (incl shipping). Should I accept it? Its only $17 ($13 + $4). Or should I offer a refund of just the purchase price of the shirt? Or should I fight it, as the item is as described. I only have a newish account (25 feedbacks, all positive) if that affects anything.

As an aside, is a buyer allowed to leave feedback after opening a case?

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Got a link to the listing?

13. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

As you said, a mistake on your part to have listed it to begin with, but live & learn. If it were me, having dealt with a handful of returns and knowing how trying to fight it can go back and forth, I'd just refund purchase + orig. shipping (refunding return shipping is up to you - if it's my mistake, I also refund the return shipping plus a bit extra for the hassle it caused them) and move on. Yes, it appears that it was as described. They can't return due to "not as described" because of the wear but they can certainly come up with any other reason it is not as described.
    They cannot leave feedback with a pending / open case. They cannot leave feedback if you accept the return and issue the refund (as far as I have been able to ascertain - I've returned items to sellers and couldn't leave feedback once it was settled).

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Broke down and bid on a lighting kit.... a bit of an impulse, but the Rifa 55 light alone is easy $200-250 on ebay if I need to resell it. Talking 35,000 lumens combined with the right bulbs!

Lowel Light Kit DV Creator 55