Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Back to Lighting..

I'd like to get some feedback on this continuous lighting kit I've been eying.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281110460134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Does this look like a good kit with all the components included?
    And if so, can anyone comment on the bulbs included, are they good?
    Would you recommend swapping the bulbs for some LEDs of some sort?
    Is there enough power to produce good enough lighting for a mannequin and for some flat shots (pants, jackets, shoes etc).

4. Brianpore

I've been toying with the idea of getting something like that VS spending 3x that and picking up a lowel lighting kit. If you buy it, please def post a review/feedback.

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Link me to what you were looking at getting, so I can drool and convince myself otherwise [​IMG]

6. Brianpore

7. tben

tben Senior member

I won one of these a while ago. Or got to keep me money, but I consider that a win. I provided paypal/cc company IMAGES of the ebay feedback, all of the shipping information+the confirmed paypal address, the communication between myself and the buyer; essentially everything I had. Luckily I had images and timestamps, paypal/cc reviewed it and they let the funds go.

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

That kit looks perfect, and you can always get brighter bulbs if you decide it's not enough light. I imagine the more expensive stuff would yield you better life bulbs maybe better color, but bulbs are easy to change out. Mainly they tripods and components are where these kits cheap out. I would argue since we're not moving anything, that really doesn't matter, my stands are really nice, but really after the initial setup, that didn't matter. For a pro, that would be hugely important. I'd love to hear your experience with it if you get it.
    edit- not that I know too much about it, but I read 5000k was the proper light temp, I'm noticing that these are 6500k, would be a colder, bluer light I think.
    edit- If you don't have it already, get some paper for your backdrop, that was the last really good change I made to my setup.

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

My plan was to get a backdrop with a lighting kit.

I like tha backdrops because they extend to the ground a few feet, which would be an excellent place to take pictures of items that we do not use a mannequin for.

+ a lot of backdrop kits I'm looking at come with a white & black option which I could utilize.

I just want to nail down which light kit to go ahead and try out, my only concern is the wattage these are stating they put out. Is 2k efficient enough? Will that allow me to put any type of 3rd party bulb wattage In the socket?

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I also had one of these. I was too busy to do anything but trust the fact that I'd shipped the item on time, had proof of shipment and receipt and that I'd obeyed the Ebay policies. I didn't submit the kind of proof Tben did. But I still won. This must be remarkably common, and from my sense of the PayPal email on the subject, they must have some kind of insurance that covers them, because they seemed to take a surprisingly reassuring tone with their email updates.

13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Yes, I bought a roll that was 53" wide by 12yds I think - yes, exactly what this is. So much better than a sheet, which was my previous backdrop.

The way I see it, the lights are everything in the setup. We could jury rig everything else (assuming you have the room to keep everything set up all the time), you could even make your own light diffuser if you were so inclined, but you still need the right amount of the proper light.

Did you get a hold of Pay Pal? Are they resolving it for you?

14. tben

tben Senior member

With items of certain value and heavy buyer question/communication, I become increasingly paranoid and try to cover myself completely.

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

According to this, 6500K is equivalent to overcast daylight. Which normally works fine for me when I'm shooting my mannequin outdoors.

[​IMG]