1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but it's helpful:
    http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feeillustrator

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I have the 40" version of the first one. I don't see many 36-38 jackets so hasn't been a problem yet. You may also want to keep in mind Amazon which has this one in the same price range with free shipping.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

My USPS letter-carrier scanned all mine backwards once as being "delivered' instead of picked up...and on tracking they said "delivered" to my city as opposed to en route to their destinations...which of course resulted in much merriment explaining what happened to the 8 or 10 buyers I shipped stuff to that day. Might be what happened in your case.

I've got a 38" pretty much the same as the first one, purchased from Stamps Store Fixtures locally (they do ship - you can get a quote on their site). I've been happy with the 38" for sport coats up to about a 44 or 46 - bigger than that and they hang all wonky even with pinning...well, I don't pin - I use a bunch of miniature chip-clip type thingers.

For suits, I hang the pants on a separate clothing valet I picked up at Goodwill for a few bucks - I taped a cardboard tube from a dry cleaner hangar onto the top which holds the pants in place since it has that semi-sticky stuff on it. Probably looks jerry-rigged but does the trick for me, for the main eBay photo:

[​IMG]

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I seriously thought you were joking, than I went to your eBay page...

[​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

he was upset at the customs charges in Thailand.

happened to like 10 of my packages last week. USPS glitch.

6. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

I know this wasnt your question but its worth getting a good quality one. I bought one for 60$ on ebay and it doesn't stand straight anymore after a few weeks. The one I got had a metal pole from top to bottom. Maybe the wooden base is sturdier. Don't waist your money on a bad one.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I was joking, of course - I hope that came through in my comment (perhaps I should have used a smilie).

1 bit of negative feedback out of 10 000 transactions is outstanding. There are, unfortunately, some people whom you just cannot please.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

No joke...Unfortunately. and now I see I've been undercut on pricing. Oh well.

9. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

I bought one with wheels on the base, that's been pretty convenient for spinning it around to take a photo of the back of the suit, and for rolling it into the closet to put it away. I photograph pants separately, it's way too much work to take the mannequin off the base and put pants on for each and every suit. Hope that helps, and good luck.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I don't know where to get them from, but you can get mannequins that have a bar below the body so that you can easily display the trousers as well as the jacket:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ If anyone comes across one of those, please post the link.

1 person likes this.
  12. DanM

DanM Senior member

I was looking through the ebay faqs trying to figure out how to do a return for someone that hasn't opened a case, and charge them a 15% restocking fee, when I came across this gem:

"AXIOM: Reputable sellers who work eBay as a business are very protective of their feedback and will do just about anything to avoid receiving a negative from you, so don't be afraid to tell your seller what he/she can do to make you happy. "

Thanks, eBay. Don't try too hard to encourage folks to extort whatever the hell they want out of us.

edit: just noticed that wasn't an official ebay quote, but came from one of their buyer guides.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  13. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I believe the place I bought mine from has something similar.

She may have an online store so PM me if you want to know

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Since I sell mostly used stuff, I treat occasional negative feedback as a given. I managed to go quite a while before it actually happened.

What frustrates me quite a bit is when you are negged and not given a chance to resolve the issue first. It should be ebay policy that you must contact the seller before leaving a neg. Its only fair considering you cannot neg a buyer.

1 person likes this.
  15. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least for ebay (gallery view) it might be better to have the pants to the side of the jacket rather than below, just in terms of image proportions for most computer monitors. But these pics have given me ideas. As long as the form I get has a decent metal post, I could probably figure something out as far as brazing or welding an attachment to it for holding the pants.

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

My one negative came from a buyer who insisted that I had mis-measured the shirt that I sent him. He opened a case against me, so I offered a full refund. He never returned the item, left me negative feedback and Ebay would not remove the feedback... Given that he failed to prove my listing was wrong and neglected to send the item back, I should have been entirely in the clear. Thanks so much Ebay! [​IMG]

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ebay is eventually going to have to deal with class action suits on 2 topics. One is the paypal monopoly, the second is around the feedback and claims system. Its so obviously open to gaming. If someone commits to returning an item, then they better return it before leaving a negative.

The paypal monopoly is 100x more important than the latter, mind you.

18. suited

suited Senior member

I have another idea that won't cost more than $5. I will post it this weekend after I set it up.

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Why shouldn't Ebay require users to use Paypal? That's not a monopoly. eBay is only one place to do business online. You have a choice not to use Ebay if you don't want to use Paypal.

1 person likes this.
  20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

They have no business forcing you to accept payment thru a company they own and are able to extract any fee they choose from.

You can't even accept a check or money order! A seller should be able to accept the form of payment they choose, not ebay. There is already a class action suit out there about this.

The other area its behaving illegally IMO is charging you fees for shipping. Charge the fucking post office fees.

By the way, want more comedy? Their lastest EULA prohibits class action lawsuits!