1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

There is a list of forum members and their associated eBay stores. I don’t have it, but it gets posted every so often.

2. Thun242

Thun242 Senior Member

Don't know what type of clothes are you looking for, but here's my items here, if you're looking for dandy style / elegant or stylish unique look:
    www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/authors/thun242.293083
    I think you can find a nice couple of pieces for you from the mentioned styles, the only look which is far away from my style and my clothes is the very trendy new sporty Balenciaga or Off White look.

3. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Wow, that was quite the setup for a spam post.

4. capnwes

capnwes Stylish Dinosaur

See page 2198

5. Sartorialisme

Sartorialisme New Member

Thank you !

6. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Distinguished Member

It took a couple of days, and they sent an email saying the return was closed. I replied, yeah, so let's fix that feedback. And they removed the neg in under 24 hours. :slayer:

I also closed a return from a woman in the UK who bought a new suit, then didn't want to pay the import duties, and just left it at the post office til Royal Mail sent it back to me. She demanded a refund immediately, and I told her, no, I'll issue the refund when I get the suit. She left a neg, then started a "return", even though she'd never been in possession of the suit. The she left negative feedback. Luckily (in this case) it took so long for the package to ship that I was able to close the return before it arrived, so the neg was removed, and I eventually had the suit and her money! I actually gave her a refund via PayPal (minus shipping) but it felt good to have that sorted, and to have my 100% positive feedback restored. :slayer:

Her ebay ID is myh_jacq . Seller beware.

7. goatamous

goatamous Senior Member

For the Canucks out there....have any of you used the eBay pack from Canada Post to ship?
    Wondering if this qualifies as an envelope
    It's 40cm x 30cm, so I think it meets the guidelines, but looking for somebody who knows for sure

15520879145705966276683489017530.jpg

8. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior Member

How important to buyers are shoe boxes for high end brands? I'm currently listing a pair of bespoke John Lobb's (http://ebay.us/sdlnhv?cmpnId=5338273189 ) including the box. I got a message from a buyer who is interested in just the box. The purist in me would prefer that they remain together, but the capitalist in me is willing to bow to the will of the market. How much less do you think a buyer will be willing to pay for just the shoes? Do any of you have any guidance on how much just the box should sell for? I checked completed listings, and they don't really provide much helpful information. I'm hoping that collective memories or instincts here will be able to reach back further.

Thanks.

9. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Distinguished Member

How much was the offer

10. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior Member

He didn't make an offer, just asked if I was willing to break them up. I said it would depend on how much, but I'd consider it if substantial. I guess he's trying to get an initial offer out of me. I definitely wouldn't do it for the $25 that a plain jane Lobb box got in completed listings!

11. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Distinguished Member

That’s a tough one, guess it would depend on the offer, i think Having the original box like that would for sure add to the value of those shoes, I’ve never seen one before

12. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior Member

^ ^^ ^^^ I don't think there's a number there that will work. I see the logic this way: if having the box did significantly add to the resale value of the shoes, you'd have to price it ludicrously high, both to compensate for that, and in case the request was from another flipper trying to fatten his Lobb listing. I don't have any particular evidence that having the box will add to the selling price, as there just isn't enough data for similar shoes in similar sizes in similar condition to support that idea. But what I think it does do is shorten the time to sale by making your pair more desirable (TWSS). Unlike most brands, pre-owned Lobbs quite often come with the boxes, I have found, so I think there is a higher expectation for Lobbs having a box than other brands, and that might make a whisker of a difference. But not much more than that. People want a pair of Lobbs for cheap. That's it. Heck, I like looking at my shoe collection. I keep the boxes and dust bags only for resale, but as I said before, I don't think it bumps the price, but in my experience, it does shorten the time to sale at a robust price.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019

13. mco543

mco543 Senior Member

Can anyone make heads or tails of this one? I noticed it marked undeliverable as addressed (despite printing from ebay) and now it’s delivered to original sender but not me and I’m totally confused. For reference the buyer lives in Berkeley, I live in Nevada.
    913A35AE-BCBB-49F3-AB70-77CC9B7AF29A.png

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

Maybe the postman scanned it incorrectly, then fixed it. Maybe the buyer was watching the tracking, and saw it as undeliverable and called his PO to get it back. Thing is, even with that odd tracking, it says it's delivered so you're covered. If you don't hear from the buyer, you're probably good. I only ever check tracking on my items after I hear from a buyer that there's a problem. Something odd like this probably happens hundreds of times a day.

15. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Distinguished Member

Not sure if it makes a difference to you, but I'd want to know if he's a seller who's going to use the box for a pair that he's selling. Maybe check to see what he has for sale, if anything?