Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Those numbers are the final selling price, crossed with colour being the type of listing. What's shown are the ones out,of the top 24 that ended on Sundays.

I think what's needed is to see final sale prices for other days, to see if 10 day Sunday auctions are higher.

2. concealed

concealed Senior member

Chiron, you have a valid point about the increased amount of sellers listing on this schedule.

However, i think the fact that you get 2 weekends worth of exposure to eyeballs using this format outweighs the negatives. Also, I think you may have picked a bad subject due to the demographics of used Robert Graham buyers. Pick Brioni ties or Borrelli shirts instead as your research subject.

3. chiron

chiron Senior member

True , but I think the increased supply is affecting sold pricing.

The Robert Graham Index [​IMG] is the prefect test subject. Most of the buyers are prone to bidding wars vs other items ?

Sorry, the 8 month old will only let me do so much. I think I will next look at Sat sold listings as well as varying end times on Sunday.

Correct , Q2 -Q3 also play a large role in final sold prices . The extra 3 days you added have resulted in your sold price increases.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The comparison was only for Q2 over the last two years. I won't have an accurate report for Q3, since I actually started the 10 day listings late last August.

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I like those results, in fact brighter lights may be better as you mentioned.
    I'm curious as to what lighting setup you use for suits & items that require more room to lay flat.

Do you just move your lighting system to accommodate those pictures?

6. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

That new lighting setup is money. I would add a light that is more focused on the background to contrast it against the tie more. I have one light that is right on my subject and another that is 80% on the background. I also touch it up(minimally) with the cheesy little editor in Microsoft picture editor. Basically I crop, use one slider thing to whiten just the background and another to darken the subject if needed. One things that turn out weird colors get any other treatment.

7. suited

suited Senior member

I never thought about the shadow creating depth, good point. The bulbs I use are 100 watts, 1550 lumens, daylight spectrum 5000k. They're made by ecosmart, bought them at Home Depot. The clamp lights are the aluminum ones - they come in a larger size that accepts more wattage, but the clamps don't work as well because the light fixture is too heavy for the clamp to hold it in position (not really an issue in my setup though). You can buy a socket adaptor that allows you to put 2 bulbs into one clamp light if you want to get more light out of them.

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Хижняков Александр (The sender of this payment is Non-U.S. - Unverified)

You guys block all the Russians, so they are buying from me? I'm just going to keep sending things there until I get burnt. Just a matter of time. Nothing major, but $31 is $31.

9. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

So, what I'm using to "edit" my pictures is the Histogram function in the MS picture editor thing. It's really not much as a powerful software, but it makes the final product look 100% better.

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Anyone have any experience with PayPal hacking? Someone hacked my PayPal, changed the email associated, phone number, and password. I have his email but no other way of logging into my PayPal. This happened yesterday and I;m going to call PayPal first thing in the morning (They;re close right now). I had some money in my account as well. Will I be able to get everything back?

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I wish I could chime in and help ya, but I have yet to run into this problem.

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Holy crap man, that sucks a lot. There's no 24hour number? I would get on that immediately!

Unrelated:
    Is a solid black 2 button coat with 4 buttons on the sleeve, all buttons black, ever be a sport coat? It's so pretty... pick stitch lapel.

Also, one of the most egregious uses of NWOT I've seen to date: ISAIA
    I contacted the seller:

You've listed this item as new without tags, what is all over the front of the jacket? Is it paint? I'll make you an offer if you think whatever it is will come off.

His response:

'll be happy to hear your offer, but the jacket is clean. It's just a bad picture.

- sundaedog

Clean? Are you fucking kidding me?

Plus, how old is that label?

Just in case he wipes that schmutz off, here's what the jacket looked like from the original listing:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes....
    First things first to everyone. You need to be changing your ebay and paypal passwords quite regularly.

I was hacked about 2 years ago. The bastard transferred $2500 (which I didn't have) into his account. Paypal caught it right away and locked down my account until I could call them. Chances are, they probably caught it and have locked your account.

In my case, I only had a little of the money in my paypal account. the rest was transferred from my bank account....which did not have enough to cover the balance. The problem is here, the bank transfers are not done by Paypal them selves, but rather a third party. Once the transfer is initiated, it cannot be stopped until it has run it's course. This resulted in 3 overdraft fees, and both my bank account and paypal account being tied up for a while. If your bank account is involved, take all evidence to your local branch and explain it to them. My branch actually fronted me the difference and wiped away the overdraft fees to keep me in the black. After all was said and done, I got it all back, but it took a full 4 weeks.

Change your passwords regularly!

14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know paypal could be hacked so regularly.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's only happened to me that one time...in 8 years. But once was more than enough.