Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Under $250 its fine - but over $250 you need a signature. Ive shipped over 1500 packages with priority international. probably more.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

When I run it through USPS, it says tracking number. But just noted that the progress always seems to stop when it leaves the country. oops.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Two things about Priority Mail International:

1. It comes automatically with about $70 of insurance. Insure it for more if the value is more. I don't worry about whether the tracking will hold up if I am insured.

2. The tracking does work. A couple of months ago I sent a box to Thailand and gave them the tracking number. I got a WTF PM from the buyer saying that the package was in Russia. It was. I made a request through the USPS to track the item. A few weeks later it shows up in Thailand. The tracking system knew where it was all the way.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You know what that deserves, right?

Before you even click you know.
    [​IMG]

6. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

I seriously thought it was this
    [​IMG]

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Anyone here using sniping tools for buying? I sit here and refresh like an old-school tool, and make my best and final bid in the last 5 seconds...but thinking I could use an online service and not have to set reminders etc to go bid on something.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That's what I thought too.

9. TheNeedMachine

Saw this and thought about bidding...then I read their feedback: negative 2, sold the same bag twice before and refused to complete the transaction both times as they apparently wanted more money. Wow, what a tool.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

OMFG. I never saw this before and LOVE it.

11. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Okay, here's a situation. Anyone had this before and how did you handle it?

As outlined before in this thread, sold a shirt to a guy who (by his own admission) didn't read listing carefully and wanted to return it. Listing is No Returns but after all that's been written here - and to promote goodwill and good feedback - I accepted it. He was to send it back (his dime) and I'd refund his purchase price, less a restocking fee.

Three weeks on and no shirt has arrived. I haven't contacted him yet. I'm planing to wait until after the long weekend to do that.

I'll see how it goes but my line in the sand is to offer to return 1/2 the purchase price ($20.50) and then just chalk it up to experience.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this portion of returns?

12. TheNeedMachine

I haven't had this experience, but if it were me I'd contact him and give him a cut-off date of when you need to receive it...say, 10 days from today. Should be plenty of time and seems reasonable to me from a buyer's standpoint...never mind that he should have returned it many moons ago. Tell him you'll pay the 75 cents for delivery confirmation when he sends it back, so you both have proof of mailing date / received date (or lack thereof). That's probably how I'd handle it.

13. TheNeedMachine

Going to try "the grand experiment" this evening...listed 5 items, scheduled start around 6pm PT / 9pm ET, one cent opening bid, no reserve, 10 day durations. Yikes. Will be fun to see how it goes, assuming things actually get bids and they don't all sell to snipers for a penny at the last second.

14. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I was too scared to start a .99 cents.

15. TheNeedMachine

I was nervous as well...and I wouldn't try it with something like a Robert Graham shirt which conceivably could get no bids / only the min bid since people are fickle about those...but I picked 5 things that all have some appeal, that I thrifted for between $1 and $5 each, and figure I'll see how it goes. If I weenie out I can always cancel before they auto-start, but I'm gonna let them go the full 10 days no matter what. I've never done a one cent start; I have done 99 cents with a reserve, but this time it's high bidder wins no matter what.