1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior Member

What happened?

2. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Anyone know what this is called or its purpose (if any) on this Robert Geller shirt?

s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

3. FPB

FPB Member

Sold a very expensive coat recently and I'm not sure if USPS lost it or what. No tracking updates in 10 days:
    In Transit to Next Facility
    2019-01-02, 00:00:00
    I haven't heard from the buyer though so I'm not sure what to do. Thoughts?

4. capsulecollectnyc

capsulecollectnyc Member

That's my listing :). East Dane calls it an "embroidered bar." It's just Geller's branding-- it can be found on most of his shirts. It's on the flannel I'm selling too, for example.

5. BaronFizzwell

BaronFizzwell Senior Member

The first thought that springs to mind is that he will blame you for the delay, because you control USPS.

6. capnwes

capnwes Stylish Dinosaur

First in my mind, don't mention it. Let him bring it up. If you reach out and indicate that the tracking never updated, but he's already somehow received it without a scan...he may be tempted to claim he never received it. Not a big deal if it's insured....but if not, you're screwed.

7. BaronFizzwell

BaronFizzwell Senior Member

Seriously though, you did try to call USPS, right? I wonder if sometimes their tracking system lags behind scans, or if you're tracking through a third party freight service, sometimes the systems don't talk to each other ...

8. ace13x

Thanks. I thrifted a Geller shirt with it the other day, didn't notice it at the time. When I saw it today, at first I thought it was repair, but then I check some eBay listings and saw it was a thing his shirts. Just wanted to know if it had a name so I could point it out in my listing.

As an aside, I really shouldn't be adding to my death pile, though I have made a pretty good dent in it this last month.

9. ace13x

This happened to me, stuck in a facility for about a week. The seller contacted me about it and I told him I'd talk to USPS. Went to my local post office and they ran an internal check on it. If I recall correctly, they had a tiny bit of extra info but nothing of relevance. The postman said it may have fallen from a cart and ended up behind something.

I can't remember if it got to where they did a search for it at the facility it was last seen, but it turned up a few days later and eventually got to the buyer.

10. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior Member

Yes agreed. Unless i have a vibe e.g. if he has purchased from me before and was very straight with me, in that case i would probably just mention it. Otherwise you can try to contact the provider and see what is going on, perhaps you can sort it out yourself.

11. wumpyfish

wumpyfish Senior Member

12. R456

R456 Member

Hi fellas,

Long time reader here. I need help. I made a $180 offer on a Filson Travel Kit made in Horween Cigar. The seller reached out to me and said please pay him direct via PayPal and he would ship out immediately. He stated these items are from his wedding gone bad and were best man gifts or something to that effect. I paid him on December 28, 2018, he immediately stops communication. I was not rude, I simply asked for a tracking number. Fast forward to Jan 9th and I filed a Paypal claim, waited 24 hours for him to respond and he emails me this message:

"Hey XXXX!
    I've had to leave town for a business trip, right after getting back from holiday travels.
    I had my brother go and grab this from my place, and box it up. Let me circle back around with you after I find out if he's properly dispatched them.
    I responded to your last email but I can't find that or my response on my server. So sorry that this slipped between the cracks a little!
    Best,
    Ryan Dean, Arlington VA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Travel-Kit-X-Horween-Cigar-Leather-/182734681203
    -----------
    Now, I waited another 24 hours for his response...nothing but crickets. So I escalated the PayPal claim.

Obviously this guy is a scam artist. Looking more closely at his auctions it appears he is probably a small time scam artist and needs light bill money.

Will I get my money back from PayPal? He has not responded to them nor me. I didn't waste my time emailing him asking for a tracking number a second time etc

Any advice?

covermysix ...is his seller name.

13. Reosymes

Reosymes Distinguished Member

Call ebay and paypal right now.

14. R456

R456 Member

I just spoke to PayPal and was told again that the seller has 9 more days to respond and then I will get a refund. I hope this is the case. I am hold with eBay.

15. Reosymes

Reosymes Distinguished Member

Oh, wait, did you do an off-ebay transaction? If so, probably not a good idea to involve them.