• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you seriously reply with "I'm not sure what you're asking me." though? Lol.

Yeah, that's a direct quote.

I've had ****** Ferragamo Studio shoes come unglued on me. One was probably loose, and they ripped it off, then the other. Alternately, they just had a pair come unglued and bought these to replace them, so tested these as soon as they came in. Unless you are 100% sure those were solid when you sold them, I would apologize and give them a full refund and move on.

I know soles come unglued, and I didn't try to yank them off the boots before I sold them, so it's possible they were weak and I didn't know. But I've thrown them in Ikea bags and moved them 2 or 3 times without any problems showing up, and this person says they just fell off when they came out of the box? That just sounds suspicious to me. But, we'll see what happens. Legit or not, I could very likely end up footing the bill.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be sure, smells are still not a valid reason for a buyer to initiate a return, correct?

Buyer is claiming, "Does not work or defective" on a shirt.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you feel like being difficult, you could probably report this post as an offer to sell you a listed item outside of eBay.

Of course, he did tell the seller that he’d be bidding on it outside of eBay. eBay might not take kindly to that comment if they see it.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus of the medium and big time sellers here: Returns or no returns? If returns allowed, who pays return shipping? I am thinking that the combination of "free return shipping" and the decreased ebay discount is a net loss for me. This seems to be subsidizing the idiots who don't bother to learn about measurements or just want to try things on.

"My husband wears a 16.5-32 and this shirt doesn't fit!"
"Well, I listed the P2P as 20.5 which is very slim for a 16.5. Did you compare that measurement to a properly fitting shirt like I suggested in the listing?"

I realize that returns are forced if the item is inaccurately represented or the buyer is willing to lie to abuse the system.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've stopped taking returns, which means I still take returns occasionally, but a lot less than I used to, a lot fewer people ask to return, but I approve almost all of the requests. I haven't seen an increase in SNAD attempts, so I pay for no more shipping than I used to. Note I'm a small timer, <100k/yr

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I definitely don't fall in the medium or big time seller category, I'll still answer
I accept returns simply because i'd be forced to take a SNAD item back

For normal returns the buyer is responsible for the return shipping, and that's usually enough of a deterrent since shipping to Canada can be pricey.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually just opped into the free returns, last month I paid about 2k in FVF, 10% off that is a $200 savings so I'd have to have about 20-25 returns to not break even on it and I'm guessing offering free returns puts you higher up in the search listings.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
I've stopped taking returns, which means I still take returns occasionally, but a lot less than I used to, a lot fewer people ask to return, but I approve almost all of the requests. I haven't seen an increase in SNAD attempts, so I pay for no more shipping than I used to. Note I'm a small timer, <100k/yr

^This, exactly. I'm also in the sub-$100K category, so the numbers for free-returns FVF discount simply don't pencil out for my volume. When I tried just opening up buyer-paid returns (ie not SNAD), what I call my "buyer wasn't paying attention" return rate trended up to a point I simply couldn't tolerate it. As I've said before, I hate returns so much that half the time I just issue a cancellation and refund for items sub-$60, and even a bit more if I'm pissed off with the item itself (it happens, right? – we've all had those). So by setting my policy as "no returns", capricious buyers are less likely to make a purchase, and "genuine" buyers will send a message if there's something they think might be an issue. This approach has saved literally dozens of potential returns for fit by making it possible to establish precisely the buyer's intent, and doing the old "prevention is better than cure" approach. One guy, just the other day, said "I haven't bought from you in the past because you don't take returns". Fine. Now he knows he can, but more importantly, and as a general point, buyers just don't realize how willing most of us are to have conversations about listed items. As I've posted before (probably at length, since I'm infamous for TL;DR communications), it's not like LL Bean with their massive catalog of new items. Used clothing almost demands conversation.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This comment attached to a sale about 45 minutes ago seems apropos to the current discussion.

0157ABA2-3F28-420C-BAB5-B24313C5934B.jpeg

mrFurly

Reaction score
How hard do you all fight some returns?

I sold a NWT briefcase that ive had for years (but never used) because I purchased it for myself.

Guy gets it, and says Not as Described because its dried out and old.
This is just straight up not true.

I took the return (listing said no returns) because I thought I missed something...
...but nope, the briefcase is mint.

Is there anything I can do to at least get my shipping money back? (this is a $170 item...not life ending, but enough to annoy me).

div25sec9

Reaction score
This comment attached to a sale about 45 minutes ago seems apropos to the current discussion.

View attachment 1102344

I hate those; telling you to expect a return before they even ship.

How hard do you all fight some returns?

I sold a NWT briefcase that ive had for years (but never used) because I purchased it for myself.

Guy gets it, and says Not as Described because its dried out and old.
This is just straight up not true.

I took the return (listing said no returns) because I thought I missed something...
...but nope, the briefcase is mint.

Is there anything I can do to at least get my shipping money back? (this is a $170 item...not life ending, but enough to annoy me).

... Most likely SOL; I've never had any luck with fighting these.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
One for the block list (bolded text is mine). And yes, in reference to my post above, this is what I get for not offering returns. I just canceled/refunded, as usual. It will be interesting to see what the FB looks like.

New message from: mariocorreia5 (44 )

Thank you for sending the shoes.
The exterior shell of shoe is in acceptable condition apart from some scuffs on the toes, except, the inside of the right shoe has a defect ; it is very uncomfortable. Over the years, I have had many Imperial Florsheim’s, but never this uncomfortable.
Therefore before I request a complete refund and leave negative feedback, I always like to contact the seller. Please let me know what you would like to propose.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Need some advice with regard to that spectacular Sulka duffle I posted the other day. I had promised some additional/better pix, so they are spoilered below. I'm having real trouble trying to price this for a BIN. I don't have enough followers to risk an open auction for reasons we all understand. One of you guys would just kop it to flip on a BIN. LOL. But there are no direct comps, and nothing I can Google that helps. According to Terapeak, over the past year, sold prices of Sulka outerwear go from pennies to $2K plus, the latter being for leather, but with nothing close to a direct comp. I don't want to be so far off the mark that potential buyers just go "WTF"? It's a super-rare piece, I've never seen another in alpaca, and it's rare enough to find even a Sulka duffle (nice going @MrRaves), there are a lot of passionate Sulka collectors out there, and it's way cool. But on the other hand, there is no fabric/maker tag present, though I am assuming it's St. Andrews. The other thing is that it fits me, so while I need more outwear like I need a hole in the head, I'd rather keep it than let it go cheap, since it's so frickin' cool and impossible to find. Whaddayathink, gang? Where would you start it, BIN guys/gals? Or should it go on Grailed?

4718 - 3.jpg

4718 - 8.jpg

4718 - 10.jpg

4718 - 11.jpg

4718 - 12.jpg

4718 - 13.jpg

4718 - 14.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads