• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, I started a little storm there.  I'll be the first to admit - I'm a little bitter about how low that suit sold for.  I needed to be willing to list higher and wait for the right buyer.

If ur going into an auction with expectations of a price, I don't think it's always a safe bet to use auction style vs BIN/OBO. Either start the auction price at the lowest ur willing to sell it for, or just BIN/OBO and wait it out.

I've recently switched to all BIN/OBO and love the ease of it. 30 day recycle listing make my Sunday afternoons not so crazy anymore with re listings and new 7 day listings.

I don't I'll ever go back.

sn0wman

Reaction score
Picked up some Salvatore Ferragamo's today for less than $10 and it looks like someone tried to "protect" them by putting this weird Neolite stuff on the bottom in two spots and a heel saver. Heel is nailed in, but the other two.. contact adhesive? Otherwise, they are in pretty nice shape. Would you attempt to remove it or leave it before the flip?

Thanks!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Picked up some Salvatore Ferragamo's today for less than $10 and it looks like someone tried to "protect" them by putting this weird Neolite stuff on the bottom in two spots and a heel saver. Heel is nailed in, but the other two.. contact adhesive? Otherwise, they are in pretty nice shape. Would you attempt to remove it or leave it before the flip? Thanks!
Probably just leave it.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I started a little storm there. I'll be the first to admit - I'm a little bitter about how low that suit sold for. I needed to be willing to list higher and wait for the right buyer.

I knew it was going to sell for a low bid, just as I know the suits I have up right now will sell for a low bid. But since I usually get sportcoats for $6 and suits for $13, I can really complain when a sportcoat sells for $60.

I was just making a comment about the way of the world.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: photo lighting, I'm looking at this kit, and adding a cheap clamp-on light to bounce off the wall behind the item being photographed. Maybe not that listing specifically - it was just at the top of the list when I searched, seller is USA and free shipping - seems pretty inexpensive tho.

Does it look like it'll do the job, for eBay (shirts, sport coats etc)? Too expensive...or too cheap to be any good?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I started a little storm there. I'll be the first to admit - I'm a little bitter about how low that suit sold for. I needed to be willing to list higher and wait for the right buyer.

Amen to that. A couple weeks ago I got the eBay offer to list as many things as I want for free, including 10-day, BIN, set-sale...so I decided to relist some things I bought a long time ago when I didn't know any better. Figured it can't hurt. Did sell a few things I thought should be re-donated as no one would want them...but there's a buyer out there for just about everything. Why eat grapes when you can drink wine - just gotta wait!

sn0wman

Reaction score
Re: photo lighting, I'm looking at this kit, and adding a cheap clamp-on light to bounce off the wall behind the item being photographed. Maybe not that listing specifically - it was just at the top of the list when I searched, seller is USA and free shipping - seems pretty inexpensive tho.

Does it look like it'll do the job, for eBay (shirts, sport coats etc)? Too expensive...or too cheap to be any good?

Been looking at some lighting to use for family stills as well as clothing. Not sure that this listing (2 bulbs) would be enough for family shots. Maybe clothing? Hope someone who uses constant lighting will weigh in.

aglose

Reaction score
I'm going to do my first listing on ebay, but it is an odd sport coat. Its a pure silk belvest dual vented, but old label. Do i list it as vintage or what?

Also has These cool buttons if that helps my listing any.

Last edited:

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would worry a bit that the total wattage isn't going to be enough to light the subject, but what do I know. If you look at the setup that capnwes described, he's putting 13-14000 lumens on his subjects. In this kit, assuming the 200w equavalent cfls, 5000K , you're looking at 2800 - 3000 lumens each. you'd need 5 total to match the output Wes is getting. I'm not sure its required, but thats about it.

As to the location, if you're shooting a jacket on a mannequin and you're trying to get depth, you're probably going to want to suspend one over head, one from the side/back and one from front/side.

I don't think you need an expensive setup to do this at all. I've done mine with cheap reflective shields, and 1200 lumen LED lights @5000K. for my limited needs, that's worked ok. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayco-200-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-CE-310PDQ/100354514#.UdiYF1NQ3rk

I still think I could build a fold-out unit similar to wes's with 4 lights instead of 6 that would fold up to about 12" total depth when folded. Light would cost about $50, bulbs would be about $50. then a frame system that would total around 100.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck aglose! I think you'd limit yourself if you listed as vintage. Let the searcher judge for themselves (unless of course you a selling something that's pure vintage and that's what the seller is looking for).

Are those the pictures you're going to use? If so, you may want to reshoot. Pictures are your #1 way of conveying information about your item. You want them to be well-lit and in focus. If you don't have a fancy light rig - hanging outside it diffused sunlight will work fine too.

Last edited:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new setup works with 4x 85W bulbs and a reflector and it's enough light. When I turn off 2 of the lights I feel it's not enough. I don't think you can ever have too much light. I would definately advocate at least 2 light sources. My auctions have gone from this to this.

Anyone else having a crazy slow sales week?

aglose

Reaction score
^Thanks for the help. No I'll shoot other pics here In the next week and get it listed next weekend.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My new setup works with 4x 85W bulbs and a reflector and it's enough light.  When I turn off 2 of the lights I feel it's not enough.  I don't think you can ever have too much light.  I would definately advocate at least 2 light sources.  My auctions have gone from this to this.

that looks nice, but i still prefer natural light when i can get it. i bought a bunch of 500w halogens recently, and even them plus my new camera set on iso auto (i know nothing from f stops) led to dim, off colors. some items i can get away with the integrated flash, but most not. if anything, my next step is going to be to invest in a remote separate flash that i can bounce off the wall. otherwise, i will continue taking my pics between 8 and 10am, when the light streams thru my bay window and lights things up well enough.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new setup works with 4x 85W bulbs and a reflector and it's enough light. When I turn off 2 of the lights I feel it's not enough. I don't think you can ever have too much light. I would definately advocate at least 2 light sources. My auctions have gone from this to this.

What color is your background in the 2nd photo? What are the lumen ratings and the color on your bulbs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads