Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1 I have no problem with his business model. He has the inventory in the capital To essentially thrift online. In fact mimicking his business model wouldn't be a bad idea. If you look at his sales history I'm sure he grosses about 50 K a month.

2. chiron

chiron Senior member

[​IMG]

3. chiron

chiron Senior member

The best exposure is from forums like this and askandy. (aka your target buyers) Also, every ebay transaction you do is a chance to get a potential repeat customer.

Be careful with the Thurs-Sun auctions as most of sellers are doing them now . For e-Thrifters its fantastic but for sellers not so much. But, I would do the free shipping.

On a side note there is a seller from Chicago who lists items (ties,shoes,suits) 70-80% of original retail price. The seller ends up selling over 20-30 items a month at those prices. Dont be afraid to ask more in BIN/BO if it does not sell then lower the price. You will be surprised how many buyers look for items in higer price ranges.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Same for me - bought a Luciano Barbera SC from me and relisted it at 3x the price. I haven't bothered to check if it sold or not - don't want to know. But it's a lesson in patience - as others have said - if you have a nice item and decent pics, don't under-sell your item, and wait for the right buyer to come along.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

6. Brianpore

+1 - I just thrifted this tie last week. Really liked it but hey figured I'd toss it up with a higher then usual BIN price.... Ermenegildo Zegna Blue White Gold Stripe Repp Silk Tie - 3.50"

Already sold, paid and shipped. Didnt even make an offer.

Bummed to see it go, but I can thrift 20 other ties over the next month for the cost of that single one. I wouldnt have sold it for $30 less though.

7. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

It's the difference between what eBay used to be--an auction 'site--vs. what it is now--an electronic mall. I sell using auction listings whenever I can, but I'm tired of certain things getting snatched up and flipped. I could mitigate that by charging for shipping (everything that I sell comes with free shipping), but I hate when people do that to me. I just can't bring myself to charge $35 to ship a dress shirt from Toronto to New York and then pocket $20 as a handling fee.

(Though I'll say that when I sell things on the B&S for "forum" prices, it really, really bothers me when I see them up on eBay.)

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Me too, Malwarebytes won't let me visit the shoe archive. Malewarebytes no likes my shoe knowledge.
    I'm the same way with BIN/auction. If you have the patience and the storage capacity. I typically don't ever put suits or pants on auction. Unless I know they're going to be hot, like Naked and Famous jeans or something like that. I had my best selling week the week I auctioned those. I'm assuming it was ancillary traffic.
    The only rule I am breaking is I'm still not picky enough. Half priced Wednesday has me buying things I really shouldn't. I just freaking LOVE thrift shopping, it's a serious addiction. I walk into the GW and it's like they have money hanging on the racks. Why would you not go every day when they have money hanging RIGHT THERE. Holy shit I need help.

everyone else beat this to death. (S)He's even bought from little old me.
    Bust Mannequin IMO, but there are guys out there taking good flat pics.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

JAB - anyone sell it? I see it non-stop; out of 100 SC's and suits, Jos A Bank easily comprises 20% of what I see in some shops...to me, it's low-end dreck, but looking at eBay sold listings, the stuff can sell for 10x what I would pay. Thinking of setting up a 2nd seller ID to list JAB, bundled lots of PRL etc.

10. Brianpore

Only stuff I'd touch is the platinum signature line which was made by Zegna.

Just looking quick
    Suit - Size 40
    98 of 195 sold = About 50%
    Avg. selling price seems to be about $40 (a lot dont sell at $49+shipping).

Not worth my time to take 15 pictures (my standard for a suit) + measurements, etc. Even if I buy it for $5 I'm only going to make at MOST on avg.

$50 Sold (free shipping)
    $5 ebay fee
    $2 paypal fee
    $10 avg shipping (ranges from 7-15)
    $5 cost

$20 Profit after taxes.... not what I call ideal for something that involves so much effort and there is no guarantee you sell it for $50!! If you sell it for $40.... you get the point.

I'd much rather pick up a $3 Brooks Brothers Slim Fit shirt, snap 4 pictures and sell it for $25 any day of the week.

11. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Man I wish BB shirts were $3 around here...$10 at least across the board, no matter the shop or condition of the shirt.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I sell JAB all day, I pick it up for 5-10$ and easily sell it within 5 days for 55+...Especially staple suits.
    Granted its not a huge money profit, but margins are good. And it drives traffic...so why not.

Again, where I reside, I sometimes have to settle for low tier items to sell because well, there just isn't enough turnover to warrant high end wear all the time.

If it sells, and for great margins, I jump on it.

why open a different account for JAB & PRL stuff? Just sell it on ur normal store.
    If it sells, and you can make money, why worry about the brands people see in your store?
    IMO nothing to be ashamed of, if that is your worry. Have you built an image of top tier items only, that breaking that tradition will lose you customers?

EDIT: I do have to say, If I recall correctly, most of the JAB thus far I've flipped have been large sizes. I wana say 48,50,52. Those seemed to move quick.
    Heck I sold a 54R HSM suit few weeks back within 2 hours for 60+ (if I can remember correctly).

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

And to have auctions that wowniceshirt buys. Then you've really hit the big time.

[​IMG]

+1

+100

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

For the record, I "liked" this because of the lol. I make no endorsement of the second half.

I still sell shirts. Partially I'm selling stuff that's getting bumped out of my closet as I upgrade. Partially I'm selling stuff I just can't bear to see go to the scrap heap. But primarily I see them as loss leaders. I have absolutely no scientific or statistical evidence to back this up, but I seem to notice a nice uptick in BINOBO purchases during weeks I have better shirts and ties in the auction category. So a $5 margin on a $5 shirt (which is still doubling my money, btw) amounts to much more when you factor in the related sale.

I've often chastised myself for not posting more in the "What I'm selling on Ebay" thread. Do folks notice a difference? I barely tread water on this thread and everything else I have going on without another thread....

----------------------

My local had their periodic sale. So their wool trou were a scant $1 each. Picked up every last stained-ass wool trou I could find so I could test the following wool-safe stain removal methods:
    Water (control)
    Weak Woolite solution soak
    Strong Woolite solution soak
    Woolite with enzyme stain remover pre-treat to waistband
    Water with enzyme stain remover pre-treat to waistband
    Woolite with detergent stain remover pre-treat to waistband
    Water with detergent stain remover pre-treat to waistband
    Woolite with Lanolin hand cleaner pre-treat to waistband
    Water with lanolin hand cleaner pre-treat to waistband

Unfortunately, I had to settle for an array of colors: only 5 of them are gray, and the rest various shades of blue, green, beige etc. That adds a nasty, undesirable variable, but we shall persevere. If anyone wants to send me your gray trou to advance the cause of science, please do so ASAP. At the moment, I don't have the means to run more than a couple of the methods simultaneously (though I am considering buying a bunch of cheap garbage cans or storage bins at the local Christmas Tree Shop....), so this may still take me a couple of weeks. (Oh, and my baby comes home tomorrow. So it's not like I'll have anything else going on, or anything) But I shall report results, complete with before/after pictures and field notes, as soon as I can.

Incidentally, I recently did a pure Woolite/warm water bath on a Pendleton tweed that had a stain on the back. The stain was lessened, but I think there was also some color loss. And the kid suede elbow patches went in very soft and came out (after air drying) extremely crispy. Something to keep in mind.

Let the experimenting begin.

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

Wow, I started a little storm there. I'll be the first to admit - I'm a little bitter about how low that suit sold for. I needed to be willing to list higher and wait for the right buyer.