1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Since I'm in Canada and offer free shipping, I'd been using the phrase "Free shipping in North America" in my listings. But people kept sending me questions like, "So how much to ship to Calgary?" I couldn't figure it out, but then one day it hit me: they thought that I meant the northern part of America. So now it's the "continent of North America."

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Gotta watch out for the Albertans (kidding! My wife is from near Calgary).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Thanks everyone. Despite the different perspectives, this actually helps a lot.

Quote: capnwes
    Quote: idfnl Quote:ATLnoob Quote:Steve Smith Quote: fueco

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

The difference between you and me is that I don't pretend to know anything about your business and how it operates. You seem to have the need to interject your assumptions as fact.

Less than 1/4 of 1% of what I sell is store returns.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

A new low for me...will be listing female contraceptive sponges this evening on eBay (not thrifted / not used!). Were on close-out at my local pharmacy, quick eBay app search said I could prolly get 4x the price, so why not? But just - really - what won't I try to make a buck off of? Sigh.

Then I finally get around to photographing and listing some Pantherella socks, using the little wooden platform I made a while ago, and in searching prices I find that I have basically duplicated Wes' listing - title, photos, and price - purely by chance. So I change it up a bit, and mine are a different size so I won't be stepping on his toes (sock humor).

1 person likes this.
  6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

So is anyone actually using this program? I read the link, but it doesn't mention cost. Who pays to get it to the shipping center?

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

I see the potential for some hilarious negative feedback.

"Preggers. Worst seller in history of ebay. -1000"

Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way :lol:

1 person likes this.
  8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Seller ships to the shipping center. US based so the shipping is normal. Ebay ships overseas....apparently ripping off the buyer.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

The night of the sale, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts. It never helps. You fight through that shit.

3 people like this.
  10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

+1

...and they might sell for more used?[​IMG]

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

What kind of BS is it that Ebay makes you do a new TOS, which includes GSP as the default and then forces you to wait 24 hours before opting out?

I don't want to use the GSP: and I also don't want my universal shipping settings changed EVERY single time I decide I will ship an item to Canada.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I just made $1000 more on relisted items that were never paid for than they ended at the first time around (6 items). :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

14. TheNeedMachine

I know that quote...movie. which?! Tarantino. Pulp!!

15. TheNeedMachine

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sounds like you're set for gas money for a week or two?
    [​IMG]

17. SpooPoker

[​IMG]

maybe a week. :)

18. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

I just listed my first sport coat on Ebay. Got tired of having them piling up in storage and closets! The wife has mentioned I am a hoarder so I am going to try and declutter the shop. Constructive criticism please on successful listings, starting to high? Shipping price?

I know it may not be the high quality item you all are accustomed to, but in this area it is all I can find. Would be very pleased to get my starting price but maybe start at $9.99 which after Ebay fees would be a small profit.

My downfall.....I do crappy photography and usually do cheaper clothes like jeans and casual shirts cause I can list them quickly and have templates all set up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111164216030&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

19. SpooPoker

its a nice coat.

instead of
    Brooks Brothers Sport Coat - 100% Wool, soft, gray weave 42R - Pristine

think of who would be searching for the words "soft, weave, pristine"

have you ever? probably not. try this :

Brooks Brothers Made in USA grey plaid fall Mens jacket sport coat 42R

The title should not be a sentence, it should be the sum of all available search words that someone may use to locate your product

and have a plain background, the coat is busy enough.

best of luck with the sale!

2 people like this.
  20. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

Thanks Mr. Spoo! Makes sense, I see what you are saying about the background too. Trying to clear out an area I can do that in and a suitable manny-quinn too