1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Distinguished Member

I could be wrong but I don't ever remember eBay allowing you to add a BIN after a bid had been placed. Looks like it still gives the option to add a BIN on items without bids.

2. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior Member

Wouldn't the existing bid have to be cancelled first, if it's the only one? If they even allow you to revise that, after. It's always been, once a bid is placed, the listing is then locked down for obvious reasons.

3. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

:violin::deadhorse::colgate:

5D6591EF-35B6-4C9D-8793-5061F3BB44C0.png

64E9AADB-4DDA-4A75-B585-B195C5DF8592.jpeg

4. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Why would you offer a refund? Either they are lying, delivery service delivered to wrong location, or delivery service marked as delivered but it wasn't, oh or it was stolen. In any event based on the information you have it was delivered, if he wants he can ask ebay to make him whole or contact the delivering agency. Does anyone request a signature on something that sold for $12?

5. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Distinguished Member

^ A Refund LOL
    ^Signed signature for a $12 item LOL
    ^ NOT BLAMING YOU LOL
    ^More than likely got it and is trying for the freebie.

6. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Exactly.

Signature Required costs $3 extra. Why the hell would anyone do that for a $16 purchase (including shipping). On this hat, that would take me from a $2 profit to a $1 loss.

It really pissed me off that he went to the nuclear option so quick after I gave him a perfectly reasonable idea of where the package might be. Not only do I have no way to know whether this guy was scamming for a refund, but I highly suspect it in this case.

This was my first message to him. Every other time I've sent this message, it has been received with at least openness to investigate if the item was mis-delivered to a neighbor. The "great customer service" and my bad attitude came after he left the negative feedback. Why would I try to appease someone who left a neg?

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 7.53.58 AM.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

7. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

I feel like I've added a BIN to an item that had bids, but I guess I was mistaken.

8. tgaith77

tgaith77 Senior Member

I've found, IME, telling a buyer that there is "nothing I can do" is the surest way to piss them off, even if its completely true.

When something's lost in the mail, I'll tell them "Wow, that's really unusual, I'll look into what may have happened on my end" or "I'll check with the post office here and let you know if I have any updates" and advise them to do the same. They at least have the impression I'm wanting to help them find their item.

All I usually end up doing is checking the tracking number again, lol.

9. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

I’m a little more sensitive to buyers if I did something wrong. This guy showed no sign of being an ass until his second message (sent at the same time he left the feedback).

Also, how does he know how other sellers ‘might’ respond if this has never happened before? Way too many red flags to handle this guy with kid gloves.

10. capnwes

capnwes Stylish Dinosaur

I left neg feedback for the laptop with the undisclosed dead battery. I reached out to the seller as planned and asked if he might split the cost of the of the DIY kit from OWC. he responded right away, but never took ownership of the mistake, gave me the run around and even denied the battery issue. Told me he wouldn’t get the OWC battery and I should get a cheapo with iffy reviews off eBay. Then he stopped responding altogether. I gave him a full week before I left fair and truthful feedback.

Now he won’t stop harassing me. Claims he agreed to split the cost, but can’t provide supporting evidence, since he never did. Also still claims the battery is fine and that Apple sends the dead battery message to trick me into buying one. Lol. Also claims I blackmailed him by leaving neg feedback and that eBay is investigating my account for fraud. EBay reps say I haven’t crossed the line at all and that my feedback was perfectly warranted.

Asshat

11. ClosetEvolution

ClosetEvolution Senior Member

12. NoNameNecessary

NoNameNecessary Senior Member

Wow, Alden shell chukka sold for 2260 AUD on eBay.au? There must be a ton of flipping opportunities in Australia

13. My Main Man

My Main Man Distinguished Member

To be fair, there's no way to know that the buyer was legit and/or actually paid.

For example: Seller lists shoes at insanely high price and buys them with a shill account. Then he still has the shoes and is able to sell them locally for a high price and point to that and say "look, this is a great deal. you could flip these for double what you're paying."

(Not saying that actually happened, but a record store in Minneapolis used to do that and ripped several people off. Most people didn't fall for it though and they went out of business really fast.)

14. drlivingston

drlivingston Distinguished Member

I recently had a bid canceled on a humorous listing. Fortunately, eBay thoughtfully gives suggestions for a similar item.

chicken1.PNG

15. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

That's a damn handsome tie.
    I always get Spoo ties suggested. Maybe I should offer a free order of chicken and waffles with each tie.