Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Right. Buyer feedback is a farce.

If a buyer ever threatens you with negative feedback during a negotiation then you will be able to have his feedback removed.

2. ruben

ruben Senior member

I recently had a buyer threaten me with feedback extortion, ebay did nothing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

3. Steve Smith

Did the buyer leave negative feedback? If so, did you provide evidence of the extortion and request that ebay remove the feedback?

4. Tristan.sf

Tristan.sf Senior member

I'm just curious, what does everyone think on the matter of 7-day auctions (Sunday-Sunday) vs. 10-day auctions (Thursday-Sunday)?

Also, what would be a good way to ship trousers or jeans internationally? Priority International doesn't offer any tracking or insurance--at least from what I can tell--and Express International is rather expensive.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I know there's at least one guy on SF who does mostly shorter (3- and 5-day) auctions...so there must be some benefit to it - perhaps if you have a loyal customer base, but I've tried the 10-day a few times and never saw much extra action from it. It always comes down to getting your item in front of the people who are interested in it, however you choose to promote it (pinterest, tumblr, listed on SF's "what I'm selling on eBay", etc).

Pantalones: If you need tracking, as discussed earlier there are two options - express, and registered first class international. Registered is a little less expensive, but can take 2 or 3 times longer vs. express, since the package has to be literally locked up and signed over when changing hands. If I offered international sales, I'd only ship it via express at full price - for US shipping I am sometimes OK eating a buck or two (in addition to the cut that eBay and Paypal take), but I personally can't lose money on shipping everything I sell.

6. Steve Smith

Nothing happens in most auctions until the last few hours so I have not bothered with 10 day auctions.

Priority Mail International includes $70 to $75 of free insurance, up to the declared value of the goods. That is included in the price.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

As said before, 2 options. Registered 1st class, or Express. Only sure way to ship international. One is cheaper but takes longer. Up to you/buyer what they want to pay for. International buyers know the cost of shipping so just make it fair (actual cost) and you shouldnt have an issue. DO NOT undervalue the item on the customs form for a number of reasons already discussed above as well.

8. TheNeedMachine

Ditto - first few hours and last few hours...in between, grit your teeth and resist the urge to drop prices etc.

But no tracking # with Priority Int'l.

Why does the USPS suck more than Linda Lovelace did in the 1970's? I don't know either. Just as antiquated as well. "Wrong form". "Can't use clear plastic tape, must be brown paper tape". When I went to the post last Saturday morning, I am not exaggerating when I say there was a guy at the counter sending 22 boxes international and they let him stand at the counter and fill out the customs forms (while I stood in line, my packages ready, forms already filled out and attached)...and the guy next in line was shipping 4 car tires - no shit - 4 car tires - which the USPS had to wrap in cling-wrap and weigh individually...and of course they didn't weight the same and dude got all bent out of shape...but seriously, who the fuck ships tires at the USPS?

/vent mode off

9. ruben

ruben Senior member

Yes and kinda. I made my request after he threatened me, but before he left the bad feedback.

I'm just a small timer (who is mainly selling off stuff from my own overstffed closet) so grain of salt but...

At Spoo's advise I recently switched for 7-day auctions to 10-days (thursday-suday), and it's meant a pretty significant increase in final values.

It's not about giving more buyers time to bid, it's about the two full weekends of exposure you get.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Of course theres tracking with Priority international....

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

+1

12. TheNeedMachine

Last time I shipped international at USPS, I asked what methods provide a tracking #, and they said only two: Registered or Express International.
    Prior to that, it's been years since I shipped anything int'l that required tracking...so (now) they give you a tracking # for Priority Int'l?

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

When I ship International First Class with an ebay label, It has tracking too.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Have almost completely made the switch to 10 day Thu-Sun too. I am not getting a good sample of the value yet, because I am in a wedding in a month that is taking up all fo my weekends. Thrifting is at a minimum, and listing is even less. However, I think it is paying off a bit from what I can tell.

This being an fine example....Hickey Freeman Madison Suit 44R 38/31 Wool Black Herringbone Pick Stitching EUC

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Um....tracking or custom number???