• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F61E166D-2A4F-4502-BA53-FE5F64F7E76C.jpeg

Hey all.
How would you respond to this?
Pair of new OP eyeglasses. Still with their demo/stock lenses in along with cleaning cloth in its sealed plastic wrapper, case, and bonus clip on sunglasses.

This is the buyer’s message to me:

What was sprayed or doused on the product? I had a severe allergic reaction upon opening. The case and other items will need to be discarded. I do need to know what it is so I can have the frames cleaned. Anaphylaxis is not pleasant. Thought they were new as I would get at Oliver Peoples' store. Not a great deal for just a frame and considering I will have to pay to get it cleaned.

I wiped down the outer case with a Kirkland baby wipe right before boxing it up, due to dust. The same type of wipe used on baby bottoms everywhere, and the packaging states they are fragrance free and 99% naturally derived ingredients.

Perhaps this person does suffer from some severe allergy or medical condition, but the way it reads to me it sounds more like fishing for a better deal via partial refund.
DFE07C54-5C0A-44AF-9B42-F32F3566D179.jpeg
41A15FFE-50DF-4DE4-A75C-F6FC77DD7D23.jpeg
725E49AA-F783-41D7-B172-8F3E70FE7A7B.jpeg

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pricing question. I have a NWT Zegna Coutre dark blue 2 button suit 48EU. It’s 85/15 wool (14 micron)/silk. What’s a reasonable starting bid price or BIN?
How old is it? 10 years or less than a year? Makes a huge difference in price.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Sometimes actually it doesn't (age of Zegna ^^ there are a lot of people who overpay
for very old Zegna because they don't know the labels

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

div25sec9

Reaction score
View attachment 1008787
Hey all.
Pair of new OP eyeglasses. Still with their demo/stock lenses in along with cleaning cloth in its sealed plastic wrapper, case, and bonus clip on sunglasses.

What was sprayed or doused on the product? I had a severe allergic reaction upon opening. The case and other items will need to be discarded. I do need to know what it is so I can have the frames cleaned. Anaphylaxis is not pleasant. Thought they were new as I would get at Oliver Peoples' store. Not a great deal for just a frame and considering I will have to pay to get it cleaned.

I wiped down the outer case with a Kirkland baby wipe right before boxing it up, due to dust. The same type of wipe used on baby bottoms everywhere, and the packaging states they are fragrance free and 99% naturally derived ingredients.

Perhaps this person does suffer from some severe allergy or medical condition, but the way it reads to me it sounds more like fishing for a better deal via partial refund.
View attachment 1008788 View attachment 1008789 View attachment 1008790

Personally I'd ask for them to return the item; they're either going for a big discount, and are going to be running you through the ringer to get there

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1008787
Hey all.

View attachment 1008788 View attachment 1008789 View attachment 1008790
That doesn't necessarily mean the wipes are hypoallergenic.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but what leads me to think he’s fishing is the fact that I only wiped down the hard case, didn’t wipe down anything else.

I was planning on saying he could return everything as it was received for a full refund. Just wanted to see the professionals’ views, haha.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but what leads me to think he’s fishing is the fact that I only wiped down the hard case, didn’t wipe down anything else.

I was planning on saying he could return everything as it was received for a full refund. Just wanted to see the professionals’ views, haha.
Politely offer him a full refund if he returns everything as it was shipped. Tell him that you use diluted anthrax to clean all of your eyewear.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent him a message stating he could send back all items as they were received and I’d give him a refund. Also apologized for the inconvenience.
He has already replied with this:
“A car detailer is neutralizing it all with zeolite crystals. It will take a couple days and is a cheaper or comparable than mailing it back. If it works, no issue. Thanks for the quick reply. Will let you know if it worked or is coming back.”

At this point, he is admitting to cleaning or altering the items from the condition they were received. So I am not obligated to take a return, correct? If the items do get returned and I can’t tell any difference than I’d obviously prefer just to be done with it and refund. But if he sends it all back and it is not in the same condition then I’ll escalate with CS.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you tell him what you cleaned it with and that you only wiped the case?

If this guy is that sensitive to common cleaners, he should not be shopping online where he can not verify that things haven’t been cleaned.

I’d have been tempted to tell him I wiped the case with a cotton rag with only water.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“A car detailer is neutralizing it all with zeolite crystals. It will take a couple days and is a cheaper or comparable than mailing it back. If it works, no issue. Thanks for the quick reply. Will let you know if it worked or is coming back.”
The right eBay CSR would certainly deem this to be cleaning or altering something. I know why an aquarium guy would use zeolite crystals. What does a car detailer need with them?

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAD1BE0D-A5E6-4F32-A43F-F6BE585EDCE1.jpeg
I sent him this picture along with telling him a wipe was lightly used on only the exterior of the hard case.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The right eBay CSR would certainly deem this to be cleaning or altering something. I know why an aquarium guy would use zeolite crystals. What does a car detailer need with them?

It’s used in some cat litters. I wonder if an auto detailed might use it to absorb oil spills on the floor?

Regardless, there’s no use of zeolite crystals that would jive with what this guy is claiming.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I googled the dude. He is into coin collecting, so possibly more knowledgeable on condition and smells of items than me, haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads