Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Should we do a Six Sigma for shipping and inventory? :lol:

I also track via excel, but I have separate worksheets for item categories -- one for suits, one for shirts, one for shoes, etc. The reason is the measuring systems are all off, and I track measurements right on the item row. I have one column for s (sold) t (traded) k (keeping) or n (not yet sold). I have a color code system for whether things are listed or not, and separate columns for what the item cost, what it sold for with shipping, what shipping cost, what the ebay and paypal fees are, etc. I then have a page where all that gets consolidated to a single view across all worksheets, from a numeric perspective. Someday when I get really fancy, I will do a pivot table to see average selling price by brand label, etc.

Have any of you bought something on ebay and NOT brought it immediately to the tailor? How inefficient from a market perspective to incur the dry cleaning costs twice for essentially just a miiddleman transaction.

Or a freezer. I got one free from my aunt, but it didn't work. When I finally get another, all items will spend 4 days in the deep freeze before ever even being categorized, measured and logged. Problem solved.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. tben

tben Senior member

Poland? Australia? Anyone? Perhaps a pm would be more suitable due to answering this question multiple times that I can not find within the thread. Thanks!

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I just do Priority with that 3rd party ship insurance, for pretty much any international package.

4. tben

tben Senior member

Yeah...I wouldn't even know where to begin with this.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh...

When you print the shipping label. You will have two options for shipping insurance (USPS and Ship Insure...or something like that). There is a check box to activate the drop down selector. Then you have to check the box to verify that you agree to the terms. The amount is automatically insured based on the action price. The cost of insurance is pretty cheap too. Pay out for lost packages is pretty close to instant....maybe 2 days.

6. tben

tben Senior member

Great! Thanks a lot wes.

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Nothing fancy because I don't sell a lot... Get an item home and whip out the pen & post-it sticky notes. Hang the item and attach a sticky note to the hanger with the price paid (or even just a note that says "GW GA" which tells me I got it at Goodwill in Georgia so I know it cost $x plus y% tax and can figure it out later if it sells). Later, edit sticky note and add measurements and any special notes I want to remember when listing (i.e.: on a sport coat, single vent, full lined, half canvassed, and whatnot).
    Have an Excel spreadsheet with basic formulas for what I paid, sold for (incl shipping), shipping cost I paid, and profit before eBay/PayPal fees. Has running totals all the way down each column. I don't input any item unless it's sold.
    I also have separate fields where I make notes on mileage and whatever else I might need for taxes, since this year I will exceed the $20k in PayPal sales if the pace continues (do remember, that is sales, not profits..hence the need to track paid, mileage, postage, etc).
    And I print out the monthly eBay sales reports, which shows eBay + PayPal fees.
    Stack of receipts in a big envelope to worry about later.
    Most I ever have active on eBay is 80 to 100 items, and it's not too difficult for me to be intimately familiar after having inspected, measured and photographed each item.
    Pretty low-tech...

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

I used to have a loaded excel sheet with if statements that calculated holding costs and stuff like that. No real record keeping now though as I've been lazy. Only really sell my own stuff (though I'm an idiot and buy plenty of stuff that I shouldn't so it ends up being sold) so measurements and stuff are pretty easy as everything is almost the same size

9. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

All the time. Not saying everything, but a lot more, usually coats, but I'm selling a lot of linen and silk shirts/pants for the summer and it's the only way to make them look presentable.
    Won't do you any good with musty smell. I had a pr of linen pants like that, they smelled worse during and after steaming, like I activated something :/

I don't agree that it's inefficient, I wouldn't want to get a jacket that smelled musty whether I was taking it to the tailor or not. I'm not (typically) selling items at garage sale prices, so there's a little room for some good customer service. If I got a jacket that was smelly, I would probably return it. I got a shirt one time that looked like someones very dirty laundry, how can you sell something like that at any price? If you can't sell it for enough to make it presentable, don't buy it.

10. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Current item price: $80.99
    Shipping charge: $13 (USPS priority medium flat rate box)

Message: Hi, can you ship first class? Should be about $12 that way.
    :fu:

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Answer: Yes, but there is a $2 shipping method change fee.

12. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Open Office is free and handles excel spreadsheets better than Excel does.

13. DanM

DanM Senior member

Thems fightin' words.

14. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Google also has spreadsheets through Drive.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  15. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Question-

Does your local post office always scan your pre-paid packages?

Something funny has happened to me the last few times I attempted to buy something. I am bidding on an item, I get caught up in the bidding frenzy until I've had enough. Someone else wins. A little while later I get a second chance offer. Seems a little fishy to me, like the seller drove up the bid.