1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I don't understand why they don't let you neg when you win an item not paid case. That would be sufficient.

2. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

That would be too perfect, the buyers only real obligation (unless you start getting into fraud) is to pay for what they bought, the feedback system should give them a negative when they don't pay...other than that, they can only get positive...but whatever EBAY, just leave the sellers on an island.

On another subject, Japanese buyer, buys 2 pairs of shoes within minutes, doesn't ask for combined shipping, pays $48 on each pair...I'm guessing shipping is actually going to be about $55 total, should I feel obligated to refund him something?

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

From a business (and moral, golden rule and all) point of view, yes. People are thrilled when you are honest and refund shipping costs...it goes a long way to cultivating relationships and repeat buyers. I do it when I can refund €1/$1 or more and 92% of the time I receive a reply thanking me. Of those I've refunded, 65% have purchased something again within 90 days.

Those are my personal numbers, at least.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

Out for Delivery
    Aug-22-13, 08:32 AM, SOUTH HACKENSACK, NJ 07606

Mis-Shipped
    Aug-22-13, 08:32 AM

Anybody know what Mis-Shipped means? Checking online it seems like it should get rerouted fine?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've seen "missent" before, I assume it's the same thing. Basically it got on the wrong truck, will return to the place of departure to try again tomorrow.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I offer free US Priority shipping. I had a buyer ask me the other day if I could combine the shipping to save him money. Not sure if this means he didn't read the shipping section, or if he actually wants me to pay him to ship them.

7. HansderHund

:D Ha

That can actually be tricky as you want to tell him that you offer free shipping on everything, but you want to encourage combined shipping (rather than multiple orders close together) in order to save money.

8. concealed

concealed Senior member

I throw in a tie or two for people who order multiple free shipping items.

9. HansderHund

That's a good policy. I try to add something within the same range of what the person bought if they get 2+ items or are repeat business.

I.E. if they buy 5 knit wool ties, I add a silk knit for free.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I typically will throw in a complimenting tie with a BIN suit purchase. I have slacked on this lately, as I have never, ever, ever heard any feedback about the free gift.

11. HansderHund

I've heard about it through Etsy more than ebay. I think I have 1 or 2 feedbacks on ebay that report the gift, but etsy guys alpha e almost always responded, either by PM or through feedback.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oops, I didn't mean eBay feedback...poor word choice. Never any acknowledgement of the gift rather.

13. HansderHund

Ahh, I understand. Not sure what happened with the "alpha e" in my response....ipad keeps correcting things.

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Would like to ask you guys a photography related question.

I assume most of you have a well-defined workflow by now for posting items. For now, I'm trying to understand the fastest way to get to an ebay postable photo.

Here is my set up:

Canon Rebel T2i with eye-fi storage card -> RAW Image -> Macbook Pro -> iphoto for cropping photo and basic adjustment (Pixelmator if I have to remove a background or something more involved) -> Reduce size of image, save as .png -> Garage Sale -> Ebay.

I'm building an apple script to automate part of that.

Here is my question. 1. what size do you normally use for your photos that you upload? I don't need the 80meg RAW image size. 2. Brian recently posted that in his new set up, he takes the photo, opens it in photoshop, makes 2 adjustments and Voila!....hes done. How about the rest of you guys?

I'm thinking of building a script for autosizing images to specific sizes based on Suit, Shirt, Pants, tie, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Lol, I even googled it to see what you meant...came up with nothing that made sense.

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I'm afraid I won't be much help. I don't do anything to my pics. Point, focus, click, upload.

17. HansderHund

I take the photos (to the best of my ability), add them to iPhoto, crop (and adjust lighting/ anything I can pull together to make it look like the real item), and then drag/drop into garage sale in the order of my preference.

I'm probably not the brain you wanted to pick as I'm fairly basic with everything from start to finish, though I'd like to do it better. I await better answers.

18. HansderHund

Yeah, I try to edit things before they're posted, but I have a tendency to overlook.

19. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Ditto.

Spoo already won the photography contest, and second place is the first loser.

20. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+1

Just having garagesale and building templates there - and the ability to pull things from iphoto - is a huge time saver. There might be some process steps you might want to refine, but I don't think there will be any bigger gains than this one.