Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

I don't think I sell in high-risk category, as I've rarely been scammed (touch wood (giggity)), but when I was at my peak volume of sales (around this time last year), I was on the phone with Ebay at least 3-5 times per week, which drove me bonkers. I would call them when I got to the dog park, and hang out there on hold and then talking to a rep while playing fetch with the dogs. It worked, but it was a lot of phone time.

2. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Distinguished Member

Looks like spoo has had more that one. According to the reverse lookup website he has had 37 negative or neutral removed in the last 12 months and 9,433 overall removed due to multiple purchases by the same buyer in the same week according to the website. What gets me is this. There has been 0 withdrawn and 0 removed by ebay so it's like they vanish into thin air. Only thing that can make that happen according to the ebay employee blog is anchor store reps.Like the 9,433 feedbacks that are missing as he is currently at 33,681 but should be at 43,114. To me the bottega feedback was an opinion and should not be removed but to ebay quantity matters.
    20180409_232800.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

3. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

This doofus really can't do anything right. Rather than $53.45, he sent $5,345.00. Obviously, I refunded him immediately, after talking to a PayPal CSR to make sure there wasn't an avenue for him to scam me. I sure hope the lady I spoke with in Omaha is right that 'what goes around comes around'... :fonz:

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 9.58.37 AM.png

4. cc808314

cc808314 Distinguished Member

Gentlemen,

I need your advice/opinion. I am new to eBay selling. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Few days ago, I sold an expensive item on eBay (just under $1000). My listing clearly stated that I ship within 3 days after the item is paid for (shipping section). In addition, the listing clearly states that shipping charges include insurance for the full selling price and signature confirmation.

Without going into details, the buyer is being a real jerk about shipping times and charges.

I want to cancel the transaction and refund him. I don’t want to deal with him, as I can sense that nothing good is going to come from it. Based on my reading online, if the seller declines a cancel request (I think he will) I will still be charged a final value fee. Is this the case? What options do I have?

Thank you in advance

5. Reosymes

Reosymes Distinguished Member

Do not unilaterally cancel as this may ding your account. Tell him the shipping charges were clearly stated in the listing and if he doesn't want it, he can ask to cancel the order. If he cancels, good for you. If he pays up, call ebay and ask the CSR to make a note of it in case the transaction turns sour. Ask them to look at your back and forth messages with him to get the context. If they agree with you that yeah this customer looks like a pain in the ass or whatever, and don't worry we'll protect you, say thanks and ask for the Service Request Number of the phone call. Note it down, and if this guy creates problems, call ebay and refer them to the SRN. Tell them see I told you something bad was gonna happen. It may not help but it surely can't hurt. They're likely to be more sympathetic to you.

Hope it doesn't come to that, though. But always cover all your bases. Keep us posted. Good luck!

6. cc808314

Thank you very much! Just sent a message to the buyer. Lets see what comes out of it.

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Distinguished Member

What kind of feedback does he usually leave?

8. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior Member

Here's one to definitely add to the blocked list; daftpunk98

He bought 4 items from me (in separate transactions), then skipped way up to a claim with his credit card company; skipping both ebay and paypals dispute system. He currently has both the money and the items. The Paypal representative said they're fighting the claim with the CC company...but it may take up to 75 days and the line "we win many of these cases" wasn't exactly reassuring. As there were separate transactions, each item is a separate fight to get my money back.

9. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior Member

Is someone on here ruggedtrading on ebay?

10. cc808314

No sure about the ones he gives, but read through the ones he received as a seller and buyer, and they were positive. I know sellers can’t leave negative, but I have seen cases when it is marked as positive, but the comments is negative.

11. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior Member

I'd email him politely, including the exact (i.e. unpacked with no margin present) costs of shipping the item, so he can see that you are simply covering yourself, and not profiting from those add-on services. I'd then offer to ship more quickly if possible, and use that as a negotiating tool against the shipping charges (over which, presumably you have no control). I'd also ask if he is able to find any cheaper way of shipping that mitigates your risk while still being acceptable to him, and see what he says. On larger items, some buyers have shipping accounts through their work with favorable rates (though rarely less than what we can sleuth out). The third alternative (which I have done on occasion) is just to absorb part of the cost, especially the insurance, which after all is more greatly protecting you than him (I have several insurance options, but rarely use them unless my spidey sense is tingling). Part of the cost of doing business . . . Depends on how much you want the sale.

What was the supposed issue with four different items?

Side note: odd irony about his user ID: Daft Punk/Underworld/Chemical Bros. is the main go-to Pandora stream in my eBay room. Keeps me groovin' along without being overly distracting, while saving tons of wasted time playing air guitar on rock streams.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

12. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior Member

So I already had an Ebay case closed in my favor due to “buyer” refusing delivery (but now package is lost in shipment back to me for some reason). Buyer now opens up a return due to item is damaged.
    So which is it: you have the item or your “agent” refused it for some unknown reason?
    Should be an easy case to close once they allow me to, correct? They said I have to wait 3-4 days. I already declined the return request.

13. drlivingston

drlivingston Distinguished Member

His first scam didn't work. So, now, he has to use plan B of his dastardly scheme.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

15. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member