1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

I have a question for you guys that hasn’t been discussed too much outside of Excel and GoDaddy, I believe.

Does anyone use an inventory management app/program that they could recommend? I’m relatively low-tech when it comes to checking in my inventory, but it’s gotten to a point where I’d like to be able to do more with the information.

I’m pretty ignorant to app & software development, so I’m not sure what I have in mind A) already exists (and is possibly super expensive), B) is asking too much, or C) alternatively, there is an obvious answer that I’m missing.

Basically, a lot of the apps I have seen are missing something and/or are geared towards a different industry. In order to get a better picture, here are some things that many of us have in common and differ from a standard retail operation:

I buy new and used merchandise from a variety of people, venues, and businesses. Most items I have and buy are only 1, not often full size runs on something.

In my fantasy world, I would have an app that would have the following characteristics:

- Works with Mac: iMac, iPhone, iPad.
    - Unlimited number of categories could be created
    - Allows me to create custom fields for a template that could be used for all merchandise
    - Generates barcodes
    - Photo attachment of merchandise
    - Has a searchable overview of inventory and gives me totals at a glance (total spent on inventory & total sale value)
    - Allows me to see which are items listed, unlisted, sold on various platforms
    - Has iCloud backup and can generate simplified reports on-demand

Basically, I want something that works like this:

New inventory comes in, I generate & print a barcode. I enter relevant information into a basic field on an iPhone and/or iMac, including a photo. Once something sells, I can scan it out, mark it as sold and it is taken out of inventory. Alternatively, I could process a return in reverse: scan a barcode and put it back into inventory.

Bonuses would be calculations on VAT, shipping (especially when an item is sold, returned, and sold again as I eat the cost of shipping each time).

Does this exist? If it does, does it cost a good amount each month?

Thanks to any insight anyone could offer, for some reason I feel as though @Sartoriamo would have some experience with this given his many moves.

2. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior Member

Hmmmm . . . thanks for the thought, but I don't think I can help much with this one.

I have always wanted to implement a barcode system (and I've done that in other businesses, like medical clinics or retail settings), but I just can't justify it for this, as I never have more than 4-500 listings (and am getting ready to cut back to under 100), and these things always take a ton of time to implement. You might take a look at SAAS options like Vend, but at $70 a month minimum, it might be hard to justify. There are for sure a bunch of others, but I don't have experience with most. If I were you, I'd start by doing Googling for some comparative articles using Vend as a starting point, and take it from there. Sorry I can't be more help! I would be very happy to have such an app myself, so please post what you find out, but I think I'd only add new items to it, as backfilling all the old stock would involve endless days of boredom . . .

The "management system" I implemented a few years after I started is rudimentary in the extreme: I prep, photograph, measure, pack and list. During photography, each item is listed on a standard 8.5 x 11 piece of lined paper, one per row, with the name, size and measurements. Each set of images gets processed into a folder with that same number, and I put the number at the end of each listing title so I can see it without opening the listing (yes, I'm giving up 8 characters on every title), and on the box. Packages are stacked on racks awaiting shipping, and when they sell, I look for the number and pull the package, determine if I need to change out the shipping box (usually 1092 to FRB2 on x-country ships), and slap on a label. It works 99% of the time. The errors are mostly of my own making, usually when I forget to change the item number in the title when I use "sell similar" from a prior listing in Auctiva. Drives me bonkers trying to find a mis-numbered package, but it happens only a couple times a month. After a few years I'm only as far as 4400 or so, as I don't have high volume (for the past 12 months, 687 listings and $67K).

I have tried various methods such as creating a master spreadsheet, but that just adds gobs of time to the process without any real savings down the line. I used to input measurements straight to an Excel sheet when I had an assistant (remote) who endured the mind-numbing tedium of posting listings, but he made too many errors, so I stopped that. For a time, I put everything straight into the eBay app using the iPad camera (with Pro Camera software), but hated that because if I forgot to re-list something for a while, eBay just deleted it altogether and I had to do it over. Not good for a guy with severe ADD, so I got out of that pretty quickly. I still have 20-30 items I need to unpack and reshoot from those days. Ugh.

3. bpk1

bpk1 Distinguished Member

Just got an offer, but have a gut feeling I should avoid this guy given what he's already said about the condition of a pair of braces that I've got listed:

upload_2018-2-24_18-34-23.png

Any opinions?

4. My Main Man

My Main Man Distinguished Member

5. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior Member

I agree; he's already complaining and he hasn't even purchased them yet!

6. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Decline

7. bert9000

bert9000 Senior Member

Don't forget to block after declining

8. drlivingston

drlivingston Distinguished Member

Bro... no... actually, HELL no. Block that troublemaking bitch.

9. c21ban

c21ban Senior Member

Buyers never cease to amaze! Had a pair of TF jeans for sale tagged as a 36 but I was EXPLICIT that although tagged, they actually measured a 38! I had an auto return so he is sending them back as he stated they were just too big for a 36. His dime for all shipping and a 15% restocking fee so no major loss but not sure how I could have been more clear in description as it was stated THREE times.

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

Thanks so much for your response, whether you had a suggestion or not! I immediately thought about you since I know you’ve moved your inventory so many times.

You’re right, there are many systems out there that are easy to use (in theory). Most, however are missing things that I need and/or are prohibitively expensive.

I have downloaded a couple of apps to test and one has real potential of being a standout. It offers nearly everything on my list, aside from a couple of important points. I’ve written the developer with a couple of questions about a workaround on it, so I’ll come back and let the thread know if I’ve found something useful.

It will still require doing some manual input when new merchandise comes in, is sold or returned. However, I’m sure everyone here does that to some extent as it is, so anything that makes searching easier with no extra work seems like a huge improvement.

As soon as I get more hands-on experience, I’ll come back with a review!

11. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

@bpk1 Instablock.

Edit: Sometimes it's like these guys think they're at the local swap-meet, haggling over a used camera or something.

12. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

wrong thread

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

13. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Reminds me of this return request. The vest just sold again (I shipped today). Hopefully, the second buyer doesn't suffer from rectal-cranial inversion... Yeah, I'll take that $5.28 restocking fee!

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.21.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.21.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.22.02 PM.png

14. richnet12

richnet12 Distinguished Member

Ebay lawyer...mmm...might give this some thought...

15. IChen

IChen Senior Member

Clicked purchase. Payment Pending. 5 minutes later, order was under Cancelled orders or something. No idea why payment didn't apparently go through, paid with card. Now I can't click Order Details either since the link breaks....and I looked at the item and it's listed as Out of Stock under size. Interesting..