• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chpartisan

Reaction score
I had prior unfinished business with sleep :) Mood also improves with a cup of coffee in the morning.

The eBay rep told me to call back in 3 days. Didn't seem very reassuring, it seems tracking is showing the name of the metropolis instead of the smaller city.

@drlivingston Another positive case in favor of your "Zero theory" Dr?

Update: Buyer closed the case after "finding" the shirt. Thanks again for the help! :fonz:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they charge you the extra cost or did the buyer get the bill? I hate when I have a package that weighs like 2 lbs 0.5 ounces and I pay the 3 lb cost because I’m worried the buyer will get charged during delivery. If I knew that I’d end up footing the bill, I’d be more inclined to risk it and choose the lower rate.
Charge is to me, so I guess if it's not a whole bunch of people here this is happening to, it's probably a local PO deciding to check everything I ship now. I'm up to 6 of them. I have no reason to be upset if they're legit. Hell, I'll continue with business as usual and get backcharged for the items they deem I underpaid for.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Candian, I'm getting tired of shopping on eBay. SELLERS*** continue to use the rip-off that is the Global Shipping Program, won't budge on this position, or just outright have no shipping available outside of the USA unless it's brought to their attention via direct message request. But by that time, what I want has been snapped up.

Mostly I'm just annoyed at eBay's GSP charging 2-3x the "import charges" that I would ACTUALLY be taxed at the border. And curiously enough, the "shipping" cost with GSP is higher when the actual purchase price of the item is low; as soon as the purchase price begins to creep up, the shipping cost starts to fall, and then the ridiculous "import charges" come in.

Last edited:

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Candian, I'm getting tired of shopping on eBay. Buyers continue to use the rip-off that is the Global Shipping Program, won't budge on this position, or just outright have no shipping available outside of the USA unless it's brought to their attention via direct message request. But by that time, what I want has been snapped up.

Mostly I'm just annoyed at eBay's GSP charging 2-3x the "import charges" that I would ACTUALLY be taxed at the border. And curiously enough, the "shipping" cost with GSP is higher when the actual purchase price of the item is low; as soon as the purchase price begins to creep up, the shipping cost starts to fall, and then the ridiculous "import charges" come in.
Yeah, it's some bs. The fact that the shipping cost can fluctuate in inverse relation to the sale price and import charges is proof that the program's charges have nothing to do with the cost of providing the service and everything to do with exploiting Canadian consumers for profit.

FWIW, eBay has been lobbying the Canadian gov't for years to get the $20 CAD de minimis threshold lifted closer to the $800USD threshold they have in the USA, going so far as to put an op-ed in the Globe and Mail to that effect back in 2016. A cynic would say that GSP is being used by eBay to anger Canadians and tilt public opinion in favour of a policy change.

We'll probably see some sort of change in the near future depending on the outcome of NAFTA re-negotiations. Fingers crossed.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy buys an Etro 44 shirt with a 24.5 p2p, claims it fits like a 41, doesn't dispute the measurements. I call ebay, they say it's clear cut buyer's remorse, call us first thing Friday and we'll open and shut a case in your favor. We can't do anything before x business days.

Buyer calls ebay today and gets them to open and close a case in his favor. Which is so frustrating since ebay specifically told me not to call before Friday. I'm so pissed. I had the service request number from the previous call, they say since the return is closed, all I can do is appeal the case (but wait one business day). I have no experience with appeals. Does ebay actually reverse their decisions?

Capture.PNG

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy buys an Etro 44 shirt with a 24.5 p2p, claims it fits like a 41, doesn't dispute the measurements. I call ebay, they say it's clear cut buyer's remorse, call us first thing Friday and we'll open and shut a case in your favor. We can't do anything before x business days.

Buyer calls ebay today and gets them to open and close a case in his favor. Which is so frustrating since ebay specifically told me not to call before Friday. I'm so pissed. I had the service request number from the previous call, they say since the return is closed, all I can do is appeal the case (but wait one business day). I have no experience with appeals. Does ebay actually reverse their decisions?

View attachment 914545
These things can be reversed. Call eBay and explain it to them.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, eBay has been lobbying the Canadian gov't for years to get the $20 CAD de minimis threshold lifted closer to the $800USD threshold they have in the USA, going so far as to put an op-ed in the Globe and Mail to that effect back in 2016. A cynic would say that GSP is being used by eBay to anger Canadians and tilt public opinion in favour of a policy change.

We'll probably see some sort of change in the near future depending on the outcome of NAFTA re-negotiations. Fingers crossed.

I sure hope so. The Canadian government's protectionist regulations are hurting consumers more than doing any good. As consumers move to web/online shopping in greater numbers, retail stores will close no matter what regulations are put into place. The $20 import threshold is ancient and should have been repealed at least five years ago.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 914545
Curse of the _0
Also, I had a similar thing happen where I was told to wait 3 days, buyer acted before then, I was outta luck.

Redsoxfan1104

Reaction score
E671B886-BA9B-4D18-AD85-146EFD615A4E.jpeg

Here’s a good one, I expressly have “US Shipping only” in my description, and have shipping settings to US only. Guy bids anyway, wins, then waits until
I send him a payment reminder to respond with this. People frustrate me

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 914693
Here’s a good one, I expressly have “US Shipping only” in my description, and have shipping settings to US only. Guy bids anyway, wins, then waits until

Just open an unpaid item case. People like this need to **** off.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 914693

He’s wrong! There are no duties for English shoes. Tell him to google CETA.

Redsoxfan1104

Reaction score
The only thing I can imagine is that he was going to try and strong arm me into shipping to Canada. Either way he’s been blocked

And thank you @Fueco I’ll check that right now

chpartisan

Reaction score
Bad luck I guess, just had another return request opened against me. Reason cited is "does not fit". This is buyer's remorse right?

Measurements were provided in listing and I have a no return policy. Do I expose myself to a neg if the case gets closed in my favor?

Edit: Case Opened/Closed for buyer's remorse

Last edited:

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you win the case, they can't leave a neg. If they do, you can get it removed by calling ebay. 100% guaranteed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads