1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. chpartisan

chpartisan Senior Member

I believe I read something here about odor not being covered by buyer protection

2. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

I would talk to Ebay. Odor is not supposed to be covered by buyer protection (though it's a good idea to mention in your listings if something might have an odor (if you're a smoker, mention it, some people are hyper sensitive)). The CSR should be able to mark it as buyer's remorse, which would protect you from shipping expenses. You'll still have to take the return...

3. dadjeans

dadjeans Senior Member

Awesome. Thanks. I don't mind taking the return. Hell I don't even mind paying return shipping now that I think about it. Just don't want to do anything stupid and wind up getting negged.

Edit: also no smokers, pets or stank in our house that would affect the garment. If anything, it might have a faint thrift store smell or some residual smoke from the original owner.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018 at 10:36 AM

4. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

As an aside, I bought a camera on Ebay that showed up yesterday strongly smelling of smoke. The camera doesn't smell anymore, but the neckstrap still does. I'll probably handwash it to lessen the smell.

5. ORLThrifter

ORLThrifter Senior Member

^^^Just to add to the commentary, as a former smoker, it's crazy how you don't notice the smell when actively smoking. If anyone is a smoker and there's a chance, have someone take a whiff. Sounds weird, but ya might be nose blind to it.

6. rhyme

rhyme Senior Member

I recall reading that if you move less then a million (I think) you dont need a profit loss statement. Is there a link to this? @Brianpore

7. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Distinguished Member

Pretty sure you still have to report income and expenses separately. If under a million, you can report on a cash basis, thus not having to account for inventory.

8. dadjeans

dadjeans Senior Member

Update: Did what @Fueco said and called eBay. Slam dunk buyer's remorse. Thanks hombre!

9. My Main Man

My Main Man Distinguished Member

I add this to all of my listings because I got sick of buyers trying to get me to mark stuff as gifts. I assume since I was newer at the time that they thought they could get me to do something dumb to save them a little money.

Note to international buyers: It's illegal to falsify customs declarations or mark an item as a "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Distinguished Member

Got this message today:

My name is <Redacted>,living in Tirana Albania.
    Usually,I wear Nr.54 ( european size).Coming from
    a taylor family,of course that appreciate the best
    good looking quality.Always important is good
    hand tayloring, carefull for small differences.Not
    only my father,but also myself know the proffesion,
    practiced for some years 1957 till1978.Studied LAW.Now am retired.
    This proffesion,in Albania,actually desapeard.
    From around 1920,started to work a new generation,
    which have as a star,italian experience,arriving very
    high standarts.
    My question is :
    Question: If select and order two or three items,did
    you can make a deduction,using one transport to
    Albania?Please revert.

Later he asked me to send him a jacket for $150 for a jacket including shipping...

Not really interested and I think Albania is not a country I ship to.

11. c21ban

c21ban Senior Member

Just let him know you don’t currently ship to his country.

His story however, regarding the tailors of Europe is quite true. Many Eastern European’s and those in surrounding countries have moved away from this profession, although they used to dominate. My tailor, who is from Turkey, told me that most have gone on to work for the government or have other small businesses as you just can’t make enough to live on any longer. Prior to the explosion of cheap goods coming from around the world, it was a decent living. However, now a tailor who is working for themselves is not very profitable in most areas.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM

12. c21ban

c21ban Senior Member

Also, thank him for his interest but explain there have been issues with getting confirmed delivery by the Postal Service, which makes it difficult to track and prove delivery.

If he is willing to have it shipped via a DHL, FedEx, etc. and you are willing to go that route, I am not sure why it would be an issue other than cost. At least it is an option that can potentially get your item sold, but if you believe you can sell it anyway, just best to state the truth.

13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

Just got a note about an automatic "cost adjustment" that USPS/ebay did on a couple of my packages. Mea culpa. If you have any, they may be here: http://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng

upload_2018-1-23_17-32-25.png