1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

There's probably a $ limit you can do as an individual before you have to worry about the government.
    Unless the laws there are super jacked up, you most likely can't get sued. Probably just taxed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

2. drlivingston

drlivingston Distinguished Member

3. JayDan

JayDan New Member

If payment cleared with a confirmed Paypal address, I would add a signature confirmation and ship it.

4. suited

suited Distinguished Member

Speaking of this, a buyer with 10 feedback purchased a $650 item from me. Their address is bizarre, possibly some sort of forwarding situation:

18432 NE Sandy Blvd
    PESTS CNGLJWHC
    Portland, OR 97230
    United States

Also, their email address is just a bunch of random numbers @qq.com. I called eBay and they weren't much help. I'm hesitant to ship this item. I messaged the buyer and their first response wasn't coherent or helpful, so I followed up with a more specific question regarding the odd portion of the address.

5. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior Member

@suited I just sold a cashmere RRL sweater to them and shipped it yesterday. I assume it is a forwarder also, but we'll see...

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

Going to guess it's a forwarding company from what little I could find on google. The address is a giant warehouse complex. Amex thinks it's here, that company comes up at a different address from Manta.
    upload_2018-1-13_8-51-2.png

7. chpartisan

chpartisan Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

8. drlivingston

Forwarding companies are the bomb. No haggling. Practically zero chance of a return. Money in the bank.

9. suited

suited Distinguished Member

Went ahead and shipped, insured. Their feedback checked out.

10. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Distinguished Member

Hey all,
    I'm listing this nice Cantarelli jacket for one of our colleagues here, and I'm not sure what's going on with the cuffs. There are no buttons, and I can't tell if they just haven't been sewn on yet, or if it's supposed to go without them. It's in good shape, but doesn't seem IMG_0479.jpg IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0595.jpg new (basting at chest pocket, but not at vents, cuffs, or shoulders). Should I even bring this up in the listing?

11. rhyme

rhyme Senior Member

Need some help regarding a case that was opened against me on Jan 9th - Buyer sent me this message claiming the shoes were excellent and it didnt fit him. I called eBay the next day and had the rep write down "buyers remorse" under notes. I was driving during my conversation with eBay and didnt write down the reference number.

Got busy during the next 3 days and today Ebay issued a return label to the buyer on my behalf. My listing clearly says I dont accept returns and the buyer has confirmed there was nothing wrong with the item either. Wondering what my options are at this point???

Case.PNG

12. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Distinguished Member

Buyers remorse? Is this a does not fit question?
    DE44D984-A7B2-48A9-9998-D67833193340.jpeg

13. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior Member

That's a nice piece. I note the angle on the cuffs. Are they cut that way? With an open angle between both sides of the sleeve? If so, I'd say it's intentional and not meant to be worn with buttons. I'd just let the images speak for themselves. I've kopped plenty of jackets without buttons, and it's clear that some are intended to have them, while with others it's equivocal. If it's clearly a jacket that's meant to have them (especially if it's NWT or NWOT) I'll often buy a set of matching buttons and slip them in one of the inside pockets (photographed for the listing, of course). But in this case, I don't think it's necessary. Someone will jump at that one . . .

14. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior Member

Not so much help as commentary: it goes back to the old story that if you don't take returns on eBay, you still take returns. I know there are some guys on here that fight tooth and claw never to take stuff back, but even though I switched a year ago to no returns, I still take pretty much any return that's requested (with gritted teeth, unless I've made an error). I've never seen why I should force someone to hang on to something they can't wear, or that doesn't fit. I'll admit it took me a while to come to this point, as 20 years ago, most eBay buyers were also sellers, and everybody just "sold it forward" if it wasn't OK. Now, not so much. The only exception I make is if there's douchebaggery on the part of the buyer, like claiming a false SNAD to make me pay for their return. I denied one the other day just because it was over a month since the purchase, but for me, that's rare.

I've posted about this before, but I think back in the pure auction days before BIN/BO, there was an expectation that since it was an open auction and since people are accustomed to auctions always being final sales, returns simply didn't come into the picture. You bid in an auction, you get your item, as is, where is. No comeback possible in most cases. I buy a lot of stuff at local auctions, and I know I can't EVER return it. Same is true of sales: if I buy something on deep discount at a store, it will usually be marked final sale, and can't be returned. However the problem is that eBay buyers have now come to see eBay pricing as "regular pricing" and simply don't have final sale mentality.

Today's buyers want it both ways: ridiculously giveaway prices, AND returns. If eBay really wanted to support sellers, they'd create a system where the buyer could opt into a return environment or not (notwithstanding errors or fraud). I call it conditional returns, and here's the simple functionality I'd lobby for: BINs come with returns, BOs don't. Ya wanna the cheapo price? Final sale. You want returns? Pay up!

15. drlivingston

I had two identical pairs of running shoes for sale. A guy makes a relatively low offer on a pair. He sends me a "please accept my offer" message. I relent and accept his offer. He pays and then promptly sends me this message :fu::
    note.PNG