Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

This is amazing and truly appreciated, I printed it out and placed it in my "office" (the tiny corner my wife allows me in her arts & crafts room).

Just a little confused on definitions "Put inside "tyvek" then inside an "envelope" then inside a poly bag to ship"

So the poly bag I get, I purchased some from ebay that you recommended. Are you saying you put a tie into 3 different envelopes?

Tie goes in Tyvek Envelope
    [​IMG]
    Than in plain envelope
    [​IMG]
    Than finally into Poly Envelope
    [​IMG]

Sizes not representative of course, but damn that is a lot of wrapping.

Also you said "(Priority Tape is FREE)", where would you get this? I don't see it on USPS.com to order.

2. chiron

chiron Senior member

Apply the Tide or Zout to the stained parts of the lining only, then soak the pants in Woolite. After drying I usually send the pants to the cleaners to get pressed . Using an old tooth brush with the stain remover on the stain is also helpful.

I use this product to some success.

[​IMG]

LINK

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Thanks for the tip, I am a very small seller (10 items up this week all Ties). This is actually my real first week selling, went all out and purchased Garage Sale and ordered all sorts of shipping supplies... Of course I don't have any bids on anything so not really that worried about shipping yet [​IMG]

4. chiron

chiron Senior member

(I don't list items every week so I want to keep my costs low.)

I mail my ties folded (Brian) in tissue (dollar store) then in a Tyvek envelope (usps/fedex) or small box then a poly bubble mailer #2. The bubble mailers online are pretty cheap quality so I use the Scotch brand from Sams Club. (7.53$ /.31 cents each)
    [​IMG]
    LINK

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I have had complaints and request for cancellations, but until I step up my shipping game, I'm going to keep it simple. They need to refine that system, and put it more in line with regular shipping, or it will die.
    That's great customer service. If people saw my handwriting I'd get more complaints than compliments! Should enlist my wife for that.
    Just did (ok, no frame) taped to my office wall.
    Great info, and timely. I'd like to add that I've had success with using lanolin hand cleaner (degreaser) on tough sweat and oil stains (ring around the collar and grease pencil from over zealous thrift markdowns). Gojo type stuff without the grit. Going to step on a toe because I think they're an advertiser here, but "my clean shirt" = lanolin hand cleaner just 10x more expensive. I ordered it and I felt like a schmuck when it finally showed up and I opened the tub to find what it was. Then again, I just got back from the dry cleaners, so nice... 5x Nat Nast silk look like new now. Worth the $6ea for what they should bring. Does anyone have a "frequent cleaner's club"? I asked my local cleaner, no luck, going to have to shop around.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

All this talk about shipping supplies...

I ship ties in 4x6" manilla envelopes that I thrifted for 99 cents (pack of 25).

Shirts and such go in letter-size manilla envelopes that cost me about 30 cents each.

Most everything else goes in USPS Priority envelopes or flat rate boxes that I can get for free online or at the Post Offices.

I've got a pretty good handle on what to charge for shipping. I add about 50 cents to each package for my time (and to defray the cost for the occasional return).

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thanks dude! [​IMG]

I just spoke with customer support. They at least gave me a reference number to use if this deadbeat does leave me negative feedback.

Speaking of which, the guy says that he is finally ready to ship. Fingers crossed that he either sends it off tomorrow or randomly forgets about it for two months.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I ship ties rolled up, wrapped in a piece of tissue type paper, inside a 4x4x4 box from ULINE. There is a 4x4x3 box available but I use the larger one because it will fit two ties if necessary. Of course these boxes can be nested to make a 4x4x8 if needed. IIRC the boxes cost between 30 and 40 cents each. I am not comfortable folding ties because of the possibility that they could be under a pile of stuff somewhere in the shipping process and could be creased.

12. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

so..back to problems....

Earlier I mentioned I had a bidder with zero feedback bidding on a pair of shoes...the same pair that I had to relist due to a non paying bidder....

Guess what...its the same guy and he won again! Now what???

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

As I see it, you can either wait it out and see if he pays this time, or you can cancel his bid and sell to the second-highest bidder.

I'm pretty sure Ebay will back you up on this one, since you already won a payment not received case against the dude.

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Why didn't you put him on your Blocked Bidder list after the first non pay?

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1

I ship mine rolled too, for the same reasons.

How do you get them so cheap through ULINE? Their per box price usually seems decent, but then the shipping cost blows that up. My supplier has them for about $0.50 each.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013